Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthostud23
Divot do you have any ideas on the questions I asked about 4-5 posts above this one?
I have not played the game yet and unfortunately don't have an answer for you. If you would like an answer, I recommend posting on the EA Tiger forums and ask if one of the TW Community Day attendees or one of the Devs to respond. Sorry I can't be more help....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
As EA has stated numerous times and the videos actually have an icon called "WIP - Work in Progress", the videos are NOT final code and they are working to fine tune all aspects of the game.....now if you see something like this in the final version, the be my guest and let them have it with both barrels....
The full swing animation on a short pitch off the green is hardly what I would call a work in progress. This is a game breaker for me. An unfinished scorecard or wacky crowd problems like facing the wrong way is acceptable on an unfinished build but I should think that they would have to have this down already. I am betting they don't. Incredible long backswings on 2 inch putts falls into this category for me as well.

Hopefully they can get these things sorted out on the release product.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #67
MVP

It is NOT a full swing (60% maybe) and the tempo was very slow. We also do not know if this was a Kinect or controller swing and we also do not know what the final shot setup was either. I agree with you to some extent, but they are also working to get Kinect swings with no lag, a full 1:1 at this stage of the game development....
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #68
Pro

OVR: 7

I think there is a little over expectation of the current state of the technology. The fact that you actually select a type of shot in the game instead of just stepping up and hitting a chip shot tells you a lot. The game sets min/max parameters based on what you tell the game you are trying to do. If you select chip shot and step up and physically take a full swing the game is only going to pick up the movement that falls into the min/max parameters of what you told the game you were trying to do.

We have already seen videos of 300 yard drives on the highest difficulty with swings that weren't anywhere close to 300 yard swings. It is the first go at the technology in a game that has always liened torwards ******. So even on the hardest difficulty there is a groove with hards stops. You have to intentionally try to get to the extremes of that groove and you can't get past the hard stops. This will be most evident in the short game because of how tempo/feel sensitive that part of the real life game is.

Hopefully one day the game and tech will come to the point where there is a level where the only shot assist/groove we get is "just swing". If you think they are even trying to do that with TW13 then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #69
Banned

Quote:
It is NOT a full swing (60% maybe) and the tempo was very slow. We also do not know if this was a Kinect or controller swing and we also do not know what the final shot setup was either. I agree with you to some extent, but they are also working to get Kinect swings with no lag, a full 1:1 at this stage of the game development....
EA can get a good college or even high school player and mo cap him taking short putts chips and pitch shots I would imagine. That would be more life like to me than what have been seeing all these years.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #70
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
EA can get a good college or even high school player and mo cap him taking short putts chips and pitch shots I would imagine. That would be more life like to me than what have been seeing all these years.
No need to...they Mo-Capped several Pros this year....
Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #71
Banned

Quote:
No need to...they Mo-Capped several Pros this year....
I hope they can replicate more of a real look on those 3 shots. Never saw anyone follow through past the hole on a 1 foot putt. I really don't mean to seem negative the game overall is good and my 3 gripes can't be that hard to fix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #72
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I thought chipping was fixed in this game. I watched a Youtube video of Dustin Johnson playing a round and he had 30 yds to the pin and the user selected a sandwedge which has a max of 105 yds. Johnson took a full swing and it went about 30 yards. If I took a full swing with my sand wedge from that close to the pin I would end up at the next teebox. I thought your joystick was mapped to the onscreen club but I guess not.
I watched this video and paid particular attention to this shot. I'n not sure what kind of shot you would call what whoever was controlling the golfer setup here. The ball was moved back in the stance considerable toward the right heel and then the "strike" meter cursor was placed toward the top third of the ball. The player stopped short of 100% full swing. I would estimate it to be maybe 70 to 80%.

From the way the shot was setup, I would have thought it would produce a hot, low trajectory punch shot that would travel 60 to 70 yards. I wasn't so surprised at its trajectory, but what shocked me was how quick it came to a stop. It just didn't compute, but then again, my brain doesn't quite know what to make of the strike meter. I know in real life, I'm not thinking about what spot on the ball I'm targeting. Unless I'm in a bunker, I'm just thinking about hitting the ball with the same spot on the club, just prior to making contact with the ground. OTOH, if I'm in the bunker, I'm going to hit behind the ball if I'm in a greenside bunker or a little higher on it if its a fairway bunker.

If you read Fred Parrow's, Gamechanger blog on the official page, and then his follow up to questions about his blog in the official forum, he said that he was able to create a chipshot that looked and behaved like a chipshot in his play testing. A chipshot wouldn't have worked in the scenario we're discussing here, but one would think that if a believable chip shot can be created, it would stand to reason that a pitch shot should as also be possible. This looked more like a punch with bodacious backspin on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »