Home

NBA 2K12 Review (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Review (360, PS3) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #89
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: NBA 2K12 Review (360, PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyvean
I understand what you are saying and I agree, to a point. But monopoly isn't a good thing.

And how can you claim that NBA 2K12 offers "real" basketball, when My Player mode is broken? When the teammate A.I. is not good enough? When there are so many glitches?
The situation isn't close to being 2K's fault that they put out a much more superior product than the competition. It's not a monopoly, as there will likely be another basketball game next year.

The My Player thing - you're talking about ONE MODE. And it's not "broken" as there are many people still playing it. Does the trade issue affect immersion? Of course. But acting like it's the primary mode in the game and it makes the rest of the game unplayable is a huge stretch. It doesn't even make the mode itself unplayable. Same with online; it's not like it's not functioning at all. There is no similar issue with Association, or versus cpu games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyvean
I mean, we must draw the line somewhere and actually demand a more polished game, especially when these problems happen every year!

We know now that critics everywhere don't play their games enough. That says a lot about the state of sports games in general.
Could the game be more polished? Of course, that will always be the case. But totally ignoring the vast amount they got right, especially given the amount of content in the game is a disservice to them. I like that they take the approach of trying to give gamers as much as possible in a game, especially when so many other devs don't take that approach. 2K11 and 2K12 can stand for years on their own if they needed to. Where most games that release on a yearly basis barely remain viable after the first year.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #90
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K12 Review (360, PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The situation isn't close to being 2K's fault that they put out a much more superior product than the competition. It's not a monopoly, as there will likely be another basketball game next year.

The My Player thing - you're talking about ONE MODE. And it's not "broken" as there are many people still playing it. Does the trade issue affect immersion? Of course. But acting like it's the primary mode in the game and it makes the rest of the game unplayable is a huge stretch. It doesn't even make the mode itself unplayable. Same with online; it's not like it's not functioning at all. There is no similar issue with Association, or versus cpu games.

Could the game be more polished? Of course, that will always be the case. But totally ignoring the vast amount they got right, especially given the amount of content in the game is a disservice to them. I like that they take the approach of trying to give gamers as much as possible in a game, especially when so many other devs don't take that approach. 2K11 and 2K12 can stand for years on their own if they needed to. Where most games that release on a yearly basis barely remain viable after the first year.
I would agree to everything you say if it was their first time.

Also, my player is broken because its problems are not only about immersion. I play this game so I can play a simulation. I'm not asking for everything to be right, I'm asking for the mode to work. It doesn't work, unless you don't mind any kind of realism or bad A.I.

Don't forget that last year's my player remained broken. So it's not like we can trust 2K to fix it with a patch, right?

I don't mind small glitches here and there but there are serious glitches - in other modes as well.

It's sad but it's in our collective conciousness as gamers to accept broken games, when we would immediately return any other product if we bought it in this state.

Again, I don't mind errros or inconsistencies. But huge problems, again and again, are unforgivable. Perhaps if we gave a damn as consumers, 2K would care too.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #91
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
If they advertise a feature, shout it out on the back of the box then it should work, period. Sadly I'm the type of person who say's that I will give them 3 months to patch any issues, large or small. But really why should any of us have to wait?
2K has made a good game, one that I am really enjoying. But they have not lived up to their promises. I don't care if it's only one mode and online problems, they are apart of the game and hyped up ones at that. If this game had EA on the box, I really doubt anyone would be defending the games short comings.
I like the game, I'll give 2K the next 3 months to get the problems corrected but if they leave it hanging like they did last year then January 1 it gets traded.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #92
MVP

OVR: 30
Like it's been said, and makes sense, this is the reviewer's opinion. I could see the hubub if the game got a 6 or sumthin becuz then u'd REALLY have to question the reviewer. Heh...

That being said, I am mostly about the gameplay/controls and aesthetics, and from those alone, I'd give the game about a 9, which is pretty good. If the controls were better, it'd be about a 9.5. I just REALLY wish 2K could improve on it. I still believe that isomotion is inferior to dual analog dribbling but my bone to pick is more how the players still are unwieldy, many a time, due to over-animation, some bad, exaggerated ones like when a u over play a player and try to get back in the action, and momentum, which could be the reason for those exaggerated ones.

Otherwise, I dig the fame. Love the new fast break steals and dribbles. Sizeup dribbles for cats like Deron Williams and D-Wade look wonderful, as well, to name a few things I am digging...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #93
Pro

Ankido's Arena

OVR: 14
I don't understand your review. They fixed a few bugs and complicated the game play and you call it great? 2k11 was great, 2k12 is a port with a broken game play system. I'm betting you don't want TNT basketball. The players bounce all over the place. Using the LT button does nothing to defend smoothly. It was said that you can defend one on one a lot easier but I failed to see that. Honestly, there's no room for improvement but you need a product every year. 2k11 is by far the best basketball game to date. 2k12 is just an experiment gone wrong.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #94
Pro

OVR: 12
Pretty spot on except that in my opinion passing is just as bad offline as it is online. This is mainly with the icon passing, it's pretty much unusable for me and it's driving me crazy. I think that the rating is pretty spot on and perhaps a bit generous considering the online disaster, complete lack of association upgrade and other glaring glitches.

I honestly do think that this game can be exceptional with a little bit of tweaking via a patch but let's not let 2k off the hook so easily.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #95
Rookie

OVR: 0
I say Bravo 2K! Don't let the haters get you down! However, I have changes I want instituted, but when I get down to it I realize they may be considered nitpicks. Come on, family, as the Czar might say, 2K got a lot right this year! Everyone loves the gameplay, and the graphics are certainly better than the floaty men of 2K11. As for My Player, I'm like Justin Timberlake about Burger King, I'm lovin it! I'm a midget PG learning under Nash, and we traded Gortat and Hill for David Lee and role players-That don't seem like a broken AI logic trade, since we need scoring and already have a Lopez brother. Plus, I'm playing on All Star with the how-to-play arrows on, and realizing it's going to take 3 years before I put up big numbers. Hey, Rondo was a bust his first two years, so realism is really kicking in for me in this aspect. Don't like the commentary, well then I advise you never to buy an EA title for the rest of your life. Sure, I wish Key Games weren't the same rivals over and again, and I wish old Alvin Gentry would get a bit more creative with the plays he calls for us, but hey, that simulates what's it like to play in a system, and in a reality where the system has locked out the players, do you realize this game may be the only NBA we see for the next 2 years?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #96
MVP

OVR: 19
to the folks complaining they want the game to be more realistic...my suggestion would be to go buy a basketball and hit a real basketball court.
this game is about fundamentals... dont want to learn to play ball the right way, learn to defend the right way, just play in arcade mode. theres even an easier set up for controls. 2k thought about everything to please a broad spectrum of people.
This game does so many things right.
"repetiitive commentary" in the my player mode... for real!!!!! this game has the best commentary PERIOD!!!!!
anything more real youd have to listen to a real broadcast.

and another thing 2k corrected this year is the arenna ambience. I dont believe that was mentioned. but they did something to the arenas, and its a thing of beauty. the arenas finally have a cavernous feel to them (thats one thing EA did better up until this year). the differnces in areans, great, great great!!

broken ai trade logic... that will be patched.
IMO opinion 2k is good at patches, so most of those issues will be corrected, folks just need to be patient.

again 2k has done a good job!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »