Home

NBA 2K Is the Champ

This is a discussion on NBA 2K Is the Champ within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #49
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: NBA 2K Is the Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I must be the only one that thought ESPN basketball was the best basketball game I ever played. I played live all the time until that game, and I've been playing 2k ever since I don't know but i think 2k should just lock the NBA license up.
That was the first year I thought NBA Live was better. NBA 2k-2k3 were way ahead of NBA Live 2000-2003.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 18
Honestly I would hate to see 2K get an exclusive deal. Not that they don't deserve it because they do. However, they've done so well that they proved they don't need to be exclusive to dominate their market.

Only thing I'd love for 2k to have is an official tv license (turner sports or NBA tv). I like that 2K has a "tv style" presentation, but it makes sense (at least to me) that since they can't have the espn license EA barely uses properly if at all; to secure the NBA tv or turner sports license complete with all of there presentation offerings.

2K is already the G.O.A.T., imagine the same presentation offerings we had in 2K5 with ESPN done up with current NBA tv or turner sports. Someone please tell me I make sense or at least agree that it'd be cool. I'd love to read what y'all think.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman
Honestly I would hate to see 2K get an exclusive deal. Not that they don't deserve it because they do. However, they've done so well that they proved they don't need to be exclusive to dominate their market.

Only thing I'd love for 2k to have is an official tv license (turner sports or NBA tv). I like that 2K has a "tv style" presentation, but it makes sense (at least to me) that since they can't have the espn license EA barely uses properly if at all; to secure the NBA tv or turner sports license complete with all of there presentation offerings.

2K is already the G.O.A.T., imagine the same presentation offerings we had in 2K5 with ESPN done up with current NBA tv or turner sports. Someone please tell me I make sense or at least agree that it'd be cool. I'd love to read what y'all think.
Half-time shows with Matt Winer, Ernie, C-Webb & 3-D. Pre/Post games too. To keep Damon Bruce in the mix, I'd use him in the way madden once had a radio show in there franchise mode. Bruce is a radio guy, it be interesting to see him do that since some of us don't listen to his show on the west coast.

My only question is; is any of this possible? A lot of what I'm asking may be a bit much in terms of delivering the kind of quality we would expect from 2k so I wonder if any of this is possible. if it is, I'd love to see it within the next 2 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 1
EA needs to work On their cartoonish graphics.... Madden 12 looks so fuciing ugly...
Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 2
NHL & FiFa are my favorite series from EA Sports....and soon to be Grand Slam Tennis 2.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I think I made a blog post that came from both camps philosophies

Check this

EA
Quote: So we needed to try something different. Something innovative. Something to bring back fans who'd left, and appeal to basketball fans who don't play video games.

That is where the emphasis on control and a dynamic, unpredictable gameplay experience came from.

Focus on fun and control, to draw in the people who play drop in at the Y and dream about competing in the NBA, but don't play basketball games.
See, EA's strategy makes no sense to me. Why would you appeal to non video-gamers by focusing on gimicky video game mechanics? If they don't play video games in the first place, then you're not going to draw them in with buzzwords like "control", "dynamic", and "unpredictable gameplay experience". You're not even going to get them to pick the controller up.

2K appeals to basketball fans who don't play basketball games by giving them *basketball* that looks and feels authentic, by amping presentation, and by tapping into nostalgia and history, all of which add up to an incredible video *and* basketball game.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-10-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

If it wasnt for me not really liking Soccer and not understanding the rules, than I would buy Fifa yearly. Ill watch a game once in a while. For the last 3 years, Ive been renting it. It is a greatly made game. The Commentary fits the "Football" commentary. Like what 2K and The Show does, Fifa has guys who actually seem to have chemistry and dont sound like they are reading from the script.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #56
Rookie

BigDaneAyMane's Arena

I am 28 years old and been playing sports games since the days of Double Dribble and Mike Tyson's Punchout on NES. More importantly, I grew up absolutely loving the Madden series. Other than 97-98 where Gameday was really great and when the original NFL 2K came out, I grew up aboslutely loviing getting the newest version of Madden and NCAA every year.

For the first time in ten years, I did not purchase Madden the day it came out. What 2k has done with the NBA series is so phenomenal, it has me questioning whether it's humanly possible to make a football game at it's best as good as a basketball game at it's best. I love my Redskins and the NFL much more than the NBA, but I really believe that basketball just makes for a better video game.

The individuality and personality of each player in 2k is captured effortlessly, something the NFL lacks, so My Player feels more personal than football career modes. The action is constant, so you're not going through the boredom in between plays. Team play modes just flat-out work better because everyone is involved in 5 on 5 and are encouraged more to work as a team, unlike football where you just kinda run your route, throw, or run the ball.

Now of course EA has let Madden suffer in quality because they aren't being pushed and I would love to see how great a football game could be with a team constantly pushing the limits the way the 2k team does. But I really just think basketball makes for a better video game experience when done right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »