Home

NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #33
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
They are called casuals, the people EA,2K, and most every developer is going to try to cater to first.
Yep, no doubt. There are more little kids and non-sim gamers, then there are full sim players. It sucks but it's the truth. With NHL being one of the least selling sports titles EA offers, they have to do it this way otherwise they wouldn't make money. This game would fold in an instant if it turned away those casual gamers. I think I've finally come to realize that we probably won't ever get the sim game that some of us hardcore guys want. The only way I can see it is if they actually split up there game styles so that hardcore plays true sim, while casual and arcade play much more "fun" I guess you could say. I think casual= less fun and full sim= greatness, but that's just my opinion on it.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 09-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #34
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Well everyone knows this is gonna happen at some point with sports games. It's hard to reinevent a sport. However, there is still plenty that can be done and something that would please the casuals/hardcore fans. Revamp the Presentation (commentary included) and beef up BAGM. Those two improvements would make everyone happy and be quite noticeable. That said, improvements to the physics and AI will always be welcome as well.
A freakin men, Savoie...

In fact, if they don't revamp presentation next year, I'm holding out on NHL 13 because the gameplay has maxed itself out. Bring the presentation to life please...a million times please!!!.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
Banned

balcobomber25's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrock24
Amazing to hear the comments from people who have played hockey and haven't. I grew up playing hockey, played the NHL 12 demo for 5 minutes, and was hooked. NHL 12 is the closest game to how hockey actually plays in the series. NHL 12 is a big improvement on NHL 11. Focusing on "signature style and traits" is probably the most important aspect of hockey. Set plays really do not have an impact and the flow of the game is dependent on the individual movement and reaction of each player based on what is actually happening.
You hit the nail on the head Cbrock24. I played hockey from the age of 6 all the way up to D3 college and one thing I felt the NHL games always lacked was the correct on ice physics especially from the goalies. Just playing the demo for 12 had me salivating at how much it actually felt like a real hockey game.

As far as the commentary goes, yes it is starting to get stale but this has been the best commentary in any sports game in my opinion since the NFL 2k days. After playing through Madden 12 any commentary will do. People who every year are hoping for the KHL are going to be waiting a long time. It has nothing to do with EA, it has to do with licensing restrictions between the NHL and KHL, there was an interview with EA Canada last year about this very topic and they said they tried everything to get the KHL license but the NHL wont allow it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #36
Banned

Alextricity's Arena

OVR: 18
Pshh. I'll likely cave and get this game at some point this game or next... same thing as last year, but it's damn fun. I got my money's worth last year - played at least 100 15 minute games, so...
Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #37
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I think I've finally come to realize that we probably won't ever get the sim game that some of us hardcore guys want. The only way I can see it is if they actually split up there game styles so that hardcore plays true sim, while casual and arcade play much more "fun" I guess you could say. I think casual= less fun and full sim= greatness, but that's just my opinion on it.
Completely agree, Bwiggy.

It'd be great if the Hardcore setting, actually provided a hardcore...ie, sim like hockey gaming experience. To where the cpu and Human AI controlled players were very..."active'. Rather than seeing AI players, as it is in many cases now...kinda just stand there. Or pucks that should have never gotten passed a player...does, etc...

And of course to have a "Normal" setting. Pssst...casual. For those who prefer the more up and down style of play. It's nice imo that the idea is there, with the hardcore settings we currently have. But they just don't go quite far enough to the sim side of things.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 21
Have we reached a point of diminishing returns on all sports games? There comes a point where you can only put in so many new features without them feeling gimmicky.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #39
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Have we reached a point of diminishing returns on all sports games? There comes a point where you can only put in so many new features without them feeling gimmicky.
Maybe, but every 3-5 years an awesome new mode comes along like HUT or something. But in the mean time the expectation should be refine and polish, and after 3 years of Be a GM I have yet to see the polish. I mean look at Maddens franchise mode, they have had relocation for like 10 years now, along with all the other awesome little things. DEPTH DEPTH DEPTH!

Be a GM is better than the old dynasty mode we had, but its not polished enough yet, and needs some serious work, or Chase is right the series will enter dangerous territory and risk becoming stale.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »