Home

NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: NHL 12 Initial Impressions

I also don't think the gameplay is where it needs to be, especially on the Cpu side of things. The AI is boring in my opinion. If you play sound defense against the Cpu, it will muster little to no Offense, because it trys the same thing every trip down the ice. Plus the defensive issues around the net as Chase mentioned. I would say the gameplay needs some tuning still.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Well everyone knows this is gonna happen at some point with sports games. It's hard to reinevent a sport. However, there is still plenty that can be done and something that would please the casuals/hardcore fans. Revamp the Presentation (commentary included) and beef up BAGM. Those two improvements would make everyone happy and be quite noticeable. That said, improvements to the physics and AI will always be welcome as well.
Gus Johnson notwithstanding, that is pretty much what Madden did this year.

Presentation and Franchise.

And what did they get for their efforts?

Low review scores.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #19
Pro

gsize19's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
There is no way that the gameplay is where it should be after 6 years. I could list off a ton of stuff that hasn't been good from NHL 09 and on. IMO the gameplay is almost there. There is still stuff that has to be done in order to really improve the game. One thing that I doubt hardly anyone would agree with me on is changing the skill stick. The skill stick in this game is the biggest drag to the game. Ya it's fun to control, but it is the sole reason why the same goals can be scored over and over and over. I'm an all out sim guy so I'm sure the more casual players would hate me by saying this. Once they change the skill stick to be more like a real player would actually stick handle in a game, then we can talk.

Why would I change it? Because no player in the NHL can extend their arms to full extension and continuously keep posession of the puck. Next, what player can stick handle 100 mph without losing the puck. You can literally skate up the ice, stick handling as fast as possible and not lose the puck with a superstar or good player. That's with puck control at zero. I'm sorry but not even Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalev, or anyone can stick handle 100 mph in a game situation and not lose the puck. I could go on and on about it. Until the skill stick is changed we will always see the same goals go in time and time again.

To change it I would limit the extension/reach that the players have with their arms. Second, I would make it so that only good-superstar players can move the right stick around to deke. That also includes using the Left Bumper to do the hop over deke and the crazy around the Dman move. The lower skilled players would be limited to just going left and right for stick handling. Also limiting each player's controls can be done. NHL 2k did it for their games from 2k8 on up.

I know it's hard to create that in a video game but it can be done. Until they make the stick handling more realistic this game will be the same thing over and over. I don't even get excited when I deke around a player any more. It happens so often that it's just another day at the office. That doesn't happen in real life, which is why the NHL is so fun to watch. You never know when that sweet deke or play could come. In NHL I can basically predict when I can do it. I will say they have progressed the CPU AI defense to stop the user more, when trying to deke around them. I can still do it fairly often though.

On another note I fully agree with your last comment. Crazy tragedy that happened today. It's just crazy how a plane crashing takes 43 lives right then and there. Just terrible stuff. I remember watching Demitra here in MN. I don't think he enjoyed his time too much here but he was still fun to watch. RIP to all of them.
Bwiggy, I couldn't agree more with the skill stick... You have great points, and yes there are subtle rooms for improvement, but some (not saying who have commented here) call for practically a new game every year and I just don't see how that is possible unless you are willing to buy 3 years of 3 steps back to move forward in 2015...

Arms full extension, and things like that, yeah, I agree, but my gut tells me that if they attempt to fix that, then everyone short arms everything, if that makes sense, to where you have an unplayable mess.

I want simulation as much as the next sim player, but I have to remind myself, the only true way to get simulation is lace em up and go down to the local rink. On a TV, it is as close to simulation that I feel they will get. Maybe a change or two here and there, but complete overhaul would be disasterous. Just my opinion.

BeA GM needs more options. This is my issue with this game. I don't always like to play EASHL, and like to play a season, but there are limitations that I feel can be improved. Madden made strides this year with Franchise, maybe NHL did also, we will find out Friday or Tuesday...
Old 09-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #20
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsize19
Bwiggy, I couldn't agree more with the skill stick... You have great points, and yes there are subtle rooms for improvement, but some (not saying who have commented here) call for practically a new game every year and I just don't see how that is possible unless you are willing to buy 3 years of 3 steps back to move forward in 2015...

Arms full extension, and things like that, yeah, I agree, but my gut tells me that if they attempt to fix that, then everyone short arms everything, if that makes sense, to where you have an unplayable mess.

I want simulation as much as the next sim player, but I have to remind myself, the only true way to get simulation is lace em up and go down to the local rink. On a TV, it is as close to simulation that I feel they will get. Maybe a change or two here and there, but complete overhaul would be disasterous. Just my opinion.

BeA GM needs more options. This is my issue with this game. I don't always like to play EASHL, and like to play a season, but there are limitations that I feel can be improved. Madden made strides this year with Franchise, maybe NHL did also, we will find out Friday or Tuesday...
You make a great point! The only thing is, after playing The Show (I hate to bring that game up again) I just have a vision of other games being as good as it. I mean The Show is about as sim as it can get. NBA 2k is the same way. I'm seriously about to buy NBA 2k12 just because how sim and real to life that game is, and I absolutely cannot stand the NBA. I just feel that if the NHL team spent more time on fixing the biggest flaws instead of adding legends and such, this game could be so much better. If they took just one year off adding bull crap stuff to the game, and making the gameplay more realistic, franchise mode less buggy, etc. this game could be one of the best sports games out there. IMO it's basically on the same level as NCAA and Madden, just with less "game breaking" problems. I do understand EA's vision though. Why change the NHL series when everything is good now. I bet sales are better than ever for the NHL series just because of how fun the controls are.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 09-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #21
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
no KHL again? Not buying again. EA makes my decision so easy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0
They still don't have all the referees on the ice! NHL 2K10 had them! Madden implemented them since Madden 10. I don't get it. If you want to be authentic you can't have 1 ref skating around the ice and please can you have workable jumbo trons! I mean again NHL 2K10 had them. And maybe some commentary in between periods. Jumbo tron excitement in between face-offs during a power play and the crowd getting pumped. Those are the things in presentation that make a great game. You already have the gameplay down. Taking way...too long in improving presentation.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
no KHL again? Not buying again. EA makes my decision so easy
The game is called NHL, not Russian Hockey League where old Washed up NHL'ers go to play.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #24
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
Everyone wants the same things: Online Dynasty, Improved Be A GM, better presentation, etc....yet one of the most requested features was goalie fighting? I don't know who is requesting this stuff or where they are getting their requests from, but it is BS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »