Home

NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Reviewer: Initial Impressions within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 12 Initial Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Well everyone knows this is gonna happen at some point with sports games. It's hard to reinevent a sport. However, there is still plenty that can be done and something that would please the casuals/hardcore fans. Revamp the Presentation (commentary included) and beef up BAGM. Those two improvements would make everyone happy and be quite noticeable. That said, improvements to the physics and AI will always be welcome as well.
Very well said, Savoie.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11
Playing the game is going to be really fun this year. It's the part when you're not actually playing a game that is going to be stale this year. I am a BaGM guy, so I will be a bit bored of that mode. However, the new sim engine will be a lot of fun for me.

I just wish they would fix these things in BaGM:
1. Players getting stuck in Free Agency
2. Players who are like 82 overall not playing while a player who is like 74 overall is starting
3. Trade logic

If these 3 things were fixed, then BaGM would be great! They aren't huge problems so hopefully a patch could address them. Then next year maybe we could get some things like a better scouting system, controlling finances like MLB The Show, and better BaGM presentation.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Pro

gsize19's Arena

OVR: 3
Here is what blows... Peopl here want a finished game to reinvented every year... As for a simulation, NHL and MLB The Show series are there for a sports sim, there isn't much more you ca do with it in terms of gameplay... EA needs to leave gameplay alone and work on other items, deeper franchise, authentic NHL arenas, etc.

I don't mind paying for a $60 roster update yearly if it is a finished game. This game is in all intents and purposes finished, and those true fans that play online in the EASHL, they will pay for the next title year after year.

The game is stellar and the more people want new things, or controls to be different, it causes games to go three steps backwards in gameplay... The review said EA is reaching dangerous territory, the only dangerous territory EA is reaching is changing this game when it is where it needs to be already. It is a fair accurate representation of the sport of hockey, so don't change a damn thing... It will cause you to bite off more than you can chew!!!

RIP team Lokomotive and my thoughts and prayers are with the families after this tragic accident!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsize19
Here is what blows... Peopl here want a finished game to reinvented every year... As for a simulation, NHL and MLB The Show series are there for a sports sim, there isn't much more you ca do with it in terms of gameplay... EA needs to leave gameplay alone and work on other items, deeper franchise, authentic NHL arenas, etc.

I don't mind paying for a $60 roster update yearly if it is a finished game. This game is in all intents and purposes finished, and those true fans that play online in the EASHL, they will pay for the next title year after year.

The game is stellar and the more people want new things, or controls to be different, it causes games to go three steps backwards in gameplay... The review said EA is reaching dangerous territory, the only dangerous territory EA is reaching is changing this game when it is where it needs to be already. It is a fair accurate representation of the sport of hockey, so don't change a damn thing... It will cause you to bite off more than you can chew!!!

RIP team Lokomotive and my thoughts and prayers are with the families after this tragic accident!!!
Seriously, the game play at this point is just about as good as they're going to get it on this generation of consoles with the ram limitations. Get all the actual modes themselves working properly and get the presentation to a NBA2k level and you have the perfect hockey game. It's not rocket science EA, sure it won't make for great bullet points on the back of the box like the half *** Legends mode or EASHL now with more exploits!!!111eleventy! (I really want to see that on the back of a box actually heh)

But at the end of the day, the hardcore guys who shell out the 60 bucks every year will be happy, the casuals that good reviews and word of mouth bring in will be happy at the depth surrounding the already solid gameplay. And Hank and I will be happy because GM mode finally won't be a broken mess.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Seriously, the game play at this point is just about as good as they're going to get it on this generation of consoles with the ram limitations. Get all the actual modes themselves working properly and get the presentation to a NBA2k level and you have the perfect hockey game. It's not rocket science EA, sure it won't make for great bullet points on the back of the box like the half *** Legends mode or EASHL now with more exploits!!!111eleventy! (I really want to see that on the back of a box actually heh)

But at the end of the day, the hardcore guys who shell out the 60 bucks every year will be happy, the casuals that good reviews and word of mouth bring in will be happy at the depth surrounding the already solid gameplay. And Hank and I will be happy because GM mode finally won't be a broken mess.
So true. I'm fine with the gameplay.
If they fixed the GM mode and gave us awesome presentation, I'd be all set.
I'd be more than happy really.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 33
I have no doubt that EA have further perfected the hockey experience. Where this series fails is how dull it is outside of the gameplay. With the presentation improvements made to Madden this year & the already well established presentation in MLB the Show & NBA 2K, EA's NHL is the odd one out of the quartet of North American based sport simulations in that it in no way captures a broadcast presentation. Ageing commentary, lack of stat overlays & an unrealistic broadcast cam take away from the realism otherwise depicted within the gameplay, In addition the lack of depth within it's career/season modes will limit the long term appeal of the game.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
With the presentation improvements made to Madden this year
Madden's Presentation isn't all that great. In fact as a whole I would say it's rather poor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsize19

There is no way that the gameplay is where it should be after 6 years. I could list off a ton of stuff that hasn't been good from NHL 09 and on. IMO the gameplay is almost there. There is still stuff that has to be done in order to really improve the game. One thing that I doubt hardly anyone would agree with me on is changing the skill stick. The skill stick in this game is the biggest drag to the game. Ya it's fun to control, but it is the sole reason why the same goals can be scored over and over and over. I'm an all out sim guy so I'm sure the more casual players would hate me by saying this. Once they change the skill stick to be more like a real player would actually stick handle in a game, then we can talk.

Why would I change it? Because no player in the NHL can extend their arms to full extension and continuously keep posession of the puck. Next, what player can stick handle 100 mph without losing the puck. You can literally skate up the ice, stick handling as fast as possible and not lose the puck with a superstar or good player. That's with puck control at zero. I'm sorry but not even Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalev, or anyone can stick handle 100 mph in a game situation and not lose the puck. I could go on and on about it. Until the skill stick is changed we will always see the same goals go in time and time again.

To change it I would limit the extension/reach that the players have with their arms. Second, I would make it so that only good-superstar players can move the right stick around to deke. That also includes using the Left Bumper to do the hop over deke and the crazy around the Dman move. The lower skilled players would be limited to just going left and right for stick handling. Also limiting each player's controls can be done. NHL 2k did it for their games from 2k8 on up.

I know it's hard to create that in a video game but it can be done. Until they make the stick handling more realistic this game will be the same thing over and over. I don't even get excited when I deke around a player any more. It happens so often that it's just another day at the office. That doesn't happen in real life, which is why the NHL is so fun to watch. You never know when that sweet deke or play could come. In NHL I can basically predict when I can do it. I will say they have progressed the CPU AI defense to stop the user more, when trying to deke around them. I can still do it fairly often though.

On another note I fully agree with your last comment. Crazy tragedy that happened today. It's just crazy how a plane crashing takes 43 lives right then and there. Just terrible stuff. I remember watching Demitra here in MN. I don't think he enjoyed his time too much here but he was still fun to watch. RIP to all of them.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 09-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »