Home

NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

This is a discussion on NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NHL 12 Updated Hands-On Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
Chase,

Did you see the goalies pushing back at all when players were getting in their business?
Or were they the ones always just taking abuse?

How do the goalies play the breakaways?

Can the goalies poke check eny more effectively?

Did it seem like the majority of defelections ended up as goals?
Goalies push back and all that down low.

Goalies seemed to be playing better on the breakaways. This was partly due to some new animations, and then partly due to positioning. Still definitely can beat them but doesn't feel as automatic so far.

Didn't see many instances of poke checking so far. The big deal for cross-crease stuff is that you can body up to offensive players as defenders, which in effect can cancel out that pass without feeling like the puck went through you and all that. Should really help minimize that tactic in a lot of instances, which might force people to try more ways to score. If you're looking for a negative, I did see one goal where the goalie tried to cover the puck but missed, and then it led to one of those easy goals since the goalie is in Hungry Hungry Hippos mode.

No, deflections didn't feel like a new money goal or anything, they just are a lot more fun to do now because of the interactions down low. I know in OTP this year I just drill guys with shots or never really get many deflection goals -- or when they do go in it's usually on really soft shots rather than "better" shots. It really just feels more like a tactic that can be effective more than an easy goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMRock
I can see where presentation may be behind a bit in NHL games but to be honest I don't think the NHL has a lot of TV Presentation. I watch over a 100 games a year on TV and really they don't do much but site behind a desk and talk about players and keys to the game. Sometimes they show some replays or between periods they show some replays and talk about what teams need to do better or what they have done well so far.

Its not like the NFL where you see Ray Lewis in the huddle with his team chanting and stuff to pump people up. I'm really not sure where they could do a lot in that area.

Commentary though is a big thing in the NHL. I mean if action is slow good commentators like Doc Emerick will fill the void with good stories and stuff. Times when the game is 6-1 or something you can hear him talking about old times with Eddie or something :P. It would be fun to have more options in play by play commentators but thats a lot of disk space to add more voices.

The one thing I really hate about the commentary though is when you have played a few seasons and they are saying canned stuff about your team or players that doesn't apply anymore 3 or 4 seasons into a be a gm or be a pro mode.
I agree that commentary needs to be number one, but even if you don't think there's a lot of presentation, there is certainly a lot of camera work and so forth that goes on in NHL games that is not present here. Whether it's cuts to the coach, the man between the glass, crowd shots. When you see the zoomed out shot of the rink for the 10th time in a game, you have to sort of realize that, hey, maybe more could be done here.

Plus, they could add more differentiated replays between stoppages and a host of other things; it's about keeping things varied as much as anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #26
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Hey Chase....

Did you happen to notice if the AI controlled players seems more aggressive towards the puck carriers? Ie....less of an up and down playing game.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5
i havent gotten NHL sense 09, should i get it to thoughs who are hockey experts, im more of a football, baseball expert
Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjsuperstar
i havent gotten NHL sense 09, should i get it to thoughs who are hockey experts, im more of a football, baseball expert
I think you'd enjoy it. The controls are addictive and the game is good as a quickie type game.
I like baseball games and have played my share of football games, but neither is good for a quick 15 minute break.
NHL is great for that. The demo will probably be out mid-August. Give it a try!
Old 07-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #29
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Goalies push back and all that down low.

Goalies seemed to be playing better on the breakaways. This was partly due to some new animations, and then partly due to positioning. Still definitely can beat them but doesn't feel as automatic so far.

Didn't see many instances of poke checking so far. I did see one goal where the goalie tried to cover the puck but missed, and then it led to one of those easy goals since the goalie is in Hungry Hungry Hippos mode.

Thanks Chase,....

When the game comes out,...I`ll fine tune the goalies by adjusting their breakaway attribute,and the poke checking,possibly the whole deal.......with NHL11, I bumped up the poke checking attribute,and that helped,...I bumped up the breakaway attribute too,.....and only saw improvement when set at around 96-99.
The goalies all had to be edited for NHL11,as the ratings/attributes that EA makes are just horrible.

*edit- I forgot to add the comment regarding the comment of yours that I highlighted......the hungry hippo goalie animation for covering pucks looks pretty similar to Tim Thomas` horrible ability to cover the puck.....LOL
I don`t have that issue ever,.....whether I`m playing as a goalie or if it`s cpu goalies.
Could be my settings?
I use the goalie cover puck slider at 6 clicks,.....it works for me.

Last edited by Rogie Vachon; 07-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #30
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjsuperstar
Talk about a perfect pass into my wheelhouse for the one-timer:

But to be serious, Money gave you some good advice... check out the demo in August.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I think you'd enjoy it. The controls are addictive and the game is good as a quickie type game.
I like baseball games and have played my share of football games, but neither is good for a quick 15 minute break.
NHL is great for that. The demo will probably be out mid-August. Give it a try!
thanks for the reply! i will try the demo to see how it goes
NCAA- Gophers
NCAA BBALL- Duke

----------------------------------
MLB 12 THE SHOW TIME!! GO TWINS!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Talk about a perfect pass into my wheelhouse for the one-timer:

But to be serious, Money gave you some good advice... check out the demo in August.
haha thats funny
NCAA- Gophers
NCAA BBALL- Duke

----------------------------------
MLB 12 THE SHOW TIME!! GO TWINS!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »