Home

Staff Roundtable: NCAA Football 12 Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on Staff Roundtable: NCAA Football 12 Demo Impressions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
There's a bug in the demo. I went for a two pt conversion and I barely got in but it was ruled incomplete. Then, they reviewed it and said it was complete. However, they gave me 6 pts and a FG. So in all I got 13 pts on one possesion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 4
Don't think it was mentioned here unless i missed it, but has anyone run into instances where a lot of contact was made between a ball carrier and a defender but no tackle was made? I'm all for how they did away with the whole "warping" tackles and made it all based on contact, but this game will get old quick if I do make contact with the ball carrier on huge plays and they kinda just bounce off one another and no tackle or even attempted tackle is made.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #67
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Staff Roundtable: NCAA Football 12 Demo Impressions

I'm enjoying it. Of course there are things wrong and they need to revamp the whole thing.

Note I'm playing on Heisman.

But shotgun running is fixed, zone is fixed, no suction that I'm seeing. Defense is now a challenge and so is offense. I'm having a ball and can't quit playing the demo. My life is gone come the 12th.

Robo QB is still there in the last say minute of the half or game. But I am also seeing WR drops and QB misthrows both on my and the CPUs part.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #68
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkdawg777
Yeh you're right on that. Do they not see these things? And are they that hard to fix in a year? This along with some other bugs have been in the game all of this gen. It kind of makes me mad, it's not that big of a deal but it seems like if something isn't a "gamebreaker" then they aren't going to change it. It's one of three things, EA is using "screw you, you're gonna buy it anyway" approach, they are just too lazy, or they don't see it (ignorant of their own game and real life football). This isn't just about the animations either, its the gameplay, the presentations, and other things like the dreads. I'm sorry I just feel like if you're going to do something you do it 110%, not half-assed.

I sound like I hate the game but I don't, I still like the game but it is mainly because I love football. I am still having fun with this game but the devs really need to rethink these things.
not really feeling the dreads. come on how hard would it be to have dreads of different sizes and color. or free flowing hair for the players with long hair.

i shouldn't see everybody with micro dreads/braids coming our of their helmelt.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #69
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
Its ok. Not too much different to me. Players still have zero weight to them, or atleast the illusion of weight is not present. Slipping and sliding all over the place as usual.

The running animations are still jacked up also. Players still run with that slight hunchback. Check live football footage or fire up NCAA11 for the PS2 and you'll see what running is supposed to look like and feel like.

Still a first day buy for me as usual but come on guys. Please fix the running animations and get rid of that float feel thats been present in the current generation of your titles. Thanks.
Respectfully disagree.

Players having no "weight" to them is far from what I've experienced. This is the first EA football game that I can see the differnce between a DB and a Linebacker running full steam. The impact is a lot greater.

JMO
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #70
Rookie

Harrison_UNC_Barnes*'s Arena

OVR: 2
Has anyone noticed that the All-State is embedded in the Field goal net?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 AM   #71
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Respectfully disagree.

Players having no "weight" to them is far from what I've experienced. This is the first EA football game that I can see the differnce between a DB and a Linebacker running full steam. The impact is a lot greater.

JMO
well ea has gotten better with adding more weight to the players i have to agree..but it doesnt seem to matter when ur playing against the cpu because the cpu doesnt react to your movements..they mirror them and thats what really makes something that is bad enough with the sliding and speed of the players even worse...top that off with an awful running animation and u have a game that looks just plain arcadish to me...tell me please has a wide reciever reverse are any type of reverse running play ever turned out positive for u?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #72
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Respectfully disagree.

JMO
Same here man. I can see the difference between different types of players also. Thats not the problem. The problem is none of the players feel grounded. If you're not seeing what I'm talking about its going to be extremely difficult to explain. I'm hoping the devs aren't seeing this situation the same as you are seeing it because if so thats probably why this hasn't been fixed since the current gen has been upon us.

The staff round table gentlemen, Caley Roark (I think thats his name) spells out the same thing in pretty much the same words. Its like everything is floating a few inches off of the field. It feels like the field is a hologram or something, like its not really under the players feet.

I understand that they're not adding a full fleshed out physics engine at the moment. I've read and understand that. Thing is, the PS2 versions or those "other games" didn't have physics engines either, but you still were immersed because the players seemed more alive because of the animation sets and general movement. The players we have now move more like androids than human beings.

All of that being said. I'm not ignoring the things that the devs have worked on. Elimination of suction being the biggest thing for me, but the root of the problems are the player feel and movement. Dont the let the cutback animation fool you. Yes if I cut the stick at a sharp angle going from one extreme direction to the next there IS an animation for it. You can see it, but you just cant feel it.

As for the running animation (hmm how can I say it). When a person is sprinting full speed, the body tends to straighten up and lean back slightly. There's really no debate there, it just happens. The EA football avatars all seem to have a pole starting from their butt that runs up through their spine. At full speed, the players still lean forward. It really looks off.

The only thing that moves are their arms and legs. The torso area is devoid of any type of "roll" which gives off the android feel. Its already been done. I have NCAA11/Madden11 for PS2. Once players hit full stride, they lean back and you absolutely cannot change direction so easy. Its more of a rooooll to the left or roooolll to the right. Kinda feels like a big boat, feels like the players are heavy. Players now are like feathers just moving with the wind ya know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »