Home

MLB 11 The Show Title Update 1.16 Fix List

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Title Update 1.16 Fix List within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #521
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: MLB 11 The Show Title Update 1.16 Fix List

I've been following this discussion and have to jump in.......

I don't know if there's been a change since the patch, and if Russell says no, then that's good enough for me.

However....I do think there is something not right as it pertains to timing/PCI/Hitting and the 4seam fastball. With 1000's of AB's in both RttS and Franchise under my belt, I'm seeing a definite tendency for hits going to the opposite field. It's easy to chalk up to a randomness in the hits, but after awhile it becomes obvious (to me) that something else is happening.

I've seen way to many instances of a 4seam thrown to a batter middle/in, with good PCI placement, solid contact, and normal timing and those balls being hit to the opposite field.

Case in point: I did a hitting practice with Carlos Gonzalez against Ubaldo. Twice I took 4seams inside to left field. Both times it seems to me they should have easily been pulled instead to at least right-center. I use timing hitting and both times timing, contact and PCI placement was good.

I could go on....balls outside hit with good timing pulled down the lines, etc. Basically hits going places that the swing timing and PCI placement dictate should have gone elsewhere. I realize that some of that could be chalked up to a batter's spray chart and his tendency to pull balls, but my RttS batter has an even spray chart and I'm constantly pulling pitches outside that I've timed well.

I'm convinced that there's something off here. I don't know that it's since the patch...I don't know that it's just 4seams, but something doesn't seem right IMO. Since I have only mostly used Timed hitting, I can't really speak for other modes. I do wonder if it's something with the PCI however. Analog hitting, like timed, has an auto-PCI placement thing happening and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm less than satisfied with how the CPU handles PCI placement as it is, but that's another argument I suppose.

Last edited by Bahnzo; 05-27-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #522
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner1
I'm just saying since the patch analog hitting has changed in relation to timing on the fastball.

Nothing was changed in the code base in relation the to timing on a fastball. Nothing at all, B Ma did not touch this aspect of the game the .04 seconds you had to make great contact was changed to .07 that's it.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 05-27-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #523
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Nothing was changed in the code base in relation to to timing on a fastball. Nothing at all, B Ma did not touch this aspect of the game the .04 seconds you had to make great contact was changed to .07 that's it.
you work way too hard trying to convince these cats otherwise.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #524
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
However....I do think there is something not right as it pertains to timing/PCI/Hitting and the 4seam fastball. With 1000's of AB's in both RttS and Franchise under my belt, I'm seeing a definite tendency for hits going to the opposite field. It's easy to chalk up to a randomness in the hits, but after awhile it becomes obvious (to me) that something else is happening.

I've seen way to many instances of a 4seam thrown to a batter middle/in, with good PCI placement, solid contact, and normal timing and those balls being hit to the opposite field.

(... snip ...)

I'm convinced that there's something off here. I don't know that it's since the patch...I don't know that it's just 4seams, but something doesn't seem right IMO. Since I have only mostly used Timed hitting, I can't really speak for other modes. I do wonder if it's something with the PCI however. Analog hitting, like timed, has an auto-PCI placement thing happening and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm less than satisfied with how the CPU handles PCI placement as it is, but that's another argument I suppose.
I've never really tried zone hitting so not sure how that factors in. But the fact that we can hit inside FB to the opposite field too often appears (to me) a feature rather than a bug....

IRL to hit an inside fastball your point of contact needs to be out in front regardless of which way (pull or away) you intend to hit. Outside fastball, you have more leeway as to where your point of contact can be because you can extend your arm. And that's why inside fastball is great pitch to tie you up...

In game, I do feel what I described above is implemented to some degree; for example I see this in how I need to be a bit quicker to hit inside fastball in general. What probably is not implemented well (don't mean it can... probably it's very difficult to implement this any way), however, is that the relative placement of bat with respect to the pitch... IRL you might control this by turning of your wrists (faster to pull, later go opposite)... The game however can only go by the timing of when you initiate swing and has no knowledge of your intention to pull or go opposite.

So I'm speculating the game is coded to pull when you are a bit early and to go opposite when a bit late. And we tend to be late more often since pitch speed is fast in this game...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #525
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
Here's how I see it, and realize I am talking about pure analog controls only.

When you time your stride with analog controls you receive a contact bonus(PCI grows). If you time in incorrectly, you receive a contact penalty.

My feeling is that the small change in the timing window and decrease in poor stride penalty has created a situation where the "solid" contact point on 99% of 4 seamers causes the ball to be hit opposite field....creating the feeling that you are constantly late.

The second I lowered my hit timing slider I was able to consistently sit on 4 seamers(98 mph in some cases) and pull the he'll out of them. Lowering the timing window means you have to be more precise with your stride to the ball, and feels like the ball has a smaller contact point on the bat versus feeling like it is "warped" to a contact spot on the bat.

Think about it like Madden tackling. If you increase your tackling window the game is going to factor in some warping to allow you to make solid contact at farther distances away from your opponent. When you have a smaller window you need to rely more on positioning and a smaller margin of error...the end result has less CPU predetermination. To me it feels like this same concept is in play with the patch for certain gamers. The smaller timing window seems to result in more contact points on the bat and a greater hit variety.

etc etc...
I definitely have to agree with the reasoning in this post. A lower timing slider reduces the window of opportunity for "perfect" timing, making it instead easier to be "just early" or "just late". By increasing the timing slider, you would have to be even earlier to meet the "early" criteria, and that is essentially what is happening here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #526
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I definitely have to agree with the reasoning in this post. A lower timing slider reduces the window of opportunity for "perfect" timing, making it instead easier to be "just early" or "just late". By increasing the timing slider, you would have to be even earlier to meet the "early" criteria, and that is essentially what is happening here.
Even if this is true, why then people feel a difference between button and analog? If the code is shared, this should affect both button and analog similarly.

I wish the devs say something about this. It really depends on how the game is coded. This could be true, but on the other hand, they could easily widen the timing window to the late side and not to the early side.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #527
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Perhaps you never miss low on 3-X counts to induce dropped balled four. CPU throws a lot of them in the dirt at these counts.
Can you post a video or screenshot the next time it happens?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #528
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Can you post a video or screenshot the next time it happens?
I've never posted a video so will do if I can figure out how, but you can easily see it if happening in your game.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042343921

At the end of the game, filter for errors in replay vault. All these walks that show up are catcher dropping ball four errors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »