Home

Shift 2: Unleashed Hands-Off Preview

This is a discussion on Shift 2: Unleashed Hands-Off Preview within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Shift 2: Unleashed Hands-Off Preview

That comparison video from EA is moot, because it's comparing cockpit views to a helmet cam, and their trying to portray Shift 2 as being more realistic by showing live-action footage from a camera on top of a driver's helmet.

I must be the only person who doesn't like this helmet cam. I know you don't have to play from it, but it looks jarring and nauseating coupled with the excessive blurring of anything not directly in-front of the windscreen, and zooming in/out to try and simulate acceleration and braking. The devs were on to something, but the implementation needs to be way more subtle. GT5 is actually much more "true-to-life" in that video; a humans soft body and neck remove a lot of shaking and our brains sync our vision with the movements. All these effects to me are a cover up for weak tire and physics simulation. I do like reading about the focus being on actual racing, which is fairly lackluster in GT and Forza.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless
That comparison video from EA is moot, because it's comparing cockpit views to a helmet cam, and their trying to portray Shift 2 as being more realistic by showing live-action footage from a camera on top of a driver's helmet.

I must be the only person who doesn't like this helmet cam. I know you don't have to play from it, but it looks jarring and nauseating coupled with the excessive blurring of anything not directly in-front of the windscreen, and zooming in/out to try and simulate acceleration and braking. The devs were on to something, but the implementation needs to be way more subtle. GT5 is actually much more "true-to-life" in that video; a humans soft body and neck remove a lot of shaking and our brains sync our vision with the movements. All these effects to me are a cover up for weak tire and physics simulation. I do like reading about the focus being on actual racing, which is fairly lackluster in GT and Forza.

I'm with you on this one. Helmet cam looks like one of those options that looks fantastic in previews and will be fun to use at the beginning because it's so innovative but I doubt the vast majority of gamers who want to post thier best times will be using it long term simply because it seems more distracting then helpful.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:

I think Shift 2 will be really hard to watch as a spectator if someone is using the helmet cam (see: motion sickness potential). If you have the controller, it seems to feel much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 11

For those still interested, this link might work for the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYOCl...layer_embedded
Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
For those still interested, this link might work for the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYOCl...layer_embedded
Thanks for the post. Where can I get that game "Live Action" that they showed first. It looked amazing.

Borza didn't look half bad for a hovercraft game. I also had a good chuckle about the inclusion of music in the GT video and the silly bumping that you are allowed to get away with.

Shift helmet cam looks like a great view but the AI still looks janky. I get the devs wanting to show one scrape with the AI but the fact the AI was dipping all over the place in every clip looked bad.

Last edited by lnin0; 03-14-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6
Quote:

look up actual races in the drivers cam and it looks the exact same. That is why they are aiming for a more realistic approach.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Shift 2: Unleashed Hands-Off Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Thanks for the post. Where can I get that game "Live Action" that they showed first. It looked amazing.

Borza didn't look half bad for a hovercraft game. I also had a good chuckle about the inclusion of music in the GT video and the silly bumping that you are allowed to get away with.

Shift helmet cam looks like a great view but the AI still looks janky. I get the devs wanting to show one scrape with the AI but the fact the AI was dipping all over the place in every clip looked bad.

From first glance, the live action segment looks to me like a Toyo Tires World Challenge race happening on the Long Beach Street Circuit. The World Challenge series of races were shown on Versus Network last year, but I'm not sure if they'll be shown there this year. I'll have to look it up.

Anyway, that camera view of Shift 2 shown in the YouTube video looks very good. I like how far the camera pans over as the driver is turning. This gives a unique perspective of what all the driver sees mid-corner while negotiating those long, sweeping bends.

Kruza
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »