Home

MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
My beef with fielding more has to do with OFers still. I just don't like someone like Coghlan running a ball down deep in the gap and running a perfect route in the process. The issue is it's hard to really figure out a better way to combat that unless you make some sort of "tentative running rating" where a guy who is new to a position does not run his max speed until he knows for sure where he thinks the ball will land.
Yeah, that seems like it's always been a problem. Anyone in the game with a good fielding and speed rating can be a good CFer.

Though it does help that OFers in general are much more human than they've been in the past. I've already seen better doubles variety than last year, and I've only had the game for a day or so.

Btw, hats off to you guys for the new game review process. Great move, imo.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy25
Am I the only person annoyed by the complete lack of attention to the franchise mode?

They didn't even touch it. The arbitration system is a complete albatross, the trade AI is terrible at best (I was offered Joe Mauer for a 'fakey' middle reliever, just an example) and contract renewable players get dumped into free agency without warning. You can't extend players in season, the draft is awful, you can't edit the players contract to make them accurate.

You can't play the game multiple years down the road and expect it to be anywhere near realistic, and yet, there are PC games like Mogul and OOTP that every year make gigantic strides in improving this. How come San Diego Studios can not?

Also, they really sold us on this co-op mode, but you can only do it in exhibition games, why not put that elsewhere in the game such as franchise or season mode?

I was let down, RTTS was much improved, and gameplay was much nicer, but for being the predominant seller on the block, I really expected some attention paid to the franchise mode. I feel like they just re-packaged last years game with a few patches.
You're not the only one but we all knew that this mode was largely untouched before we bought the game. Its been said that the franchise improvements will be made for next year and I can't wait.

As far as co-op, I agree with you 100%. For a studio who has always said they want to get it right before putting into the game, it seems like the right way to add co-op would be allowing it in franchise games. I guess what they mean by "getting it right" is that it has to work correctly and it still does but only in exhibition.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22
I see the general consensus being that this game is basically "the same, but better", but I have to say it hasn't been that way for me thus far.

Much like NHL 11 last year, The Show 11 feels like a legitimate step forward from the 09 version. While I did enjoy last years game, it truly felt like The Show 09.5 to me, and as such it just didn't get nearly as much play. Granted, this could be because I didn't play the hell out of '10, when I first popped in this years version I was floored.

The new controls are an acquired taste to be sure, but I'm really coming around to them. Visually speaking it just feels like the game is miles ahead of past iterations. The player models are MUCH improved, which in turn makes all of the animations seem more life like. I can't say enough about the custom camera feature either, as well as the true to life broadcast views.

So far I've been making use of the new controls, as well as the aforementioned cameras and it really does make it a whole new game. Maybe I'm not quite as stoked as I was the first time I played '09, but it's pretty damn close. I was hesitant to say that '10 was really an improvement over '09 because it just felt so similar that I was never really sucked in. This however, this feels fresh and I'm really loving it so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
My beef with fielding more has to do with OFers still. I just don't like someone like Coghlan running a ball down deep in the gap and running a perfect route in the process. The issue is it's hard to really figure out a better way to combat that unless you make some sort of "tentative running rating" where a guy who is new to a position does not run his max speed until he knows for sure where he thinks the ball will land.
I can see that, and that is a legitimate complaint. It has been adjusted a little, but more can definitely be made. And will be brought up I am sure at the next focus tests.

I was just referring to fielding as how it feels, and plays out, is still largely changed compared to last year as a whole, and not just "analog added".

Is it perfect? No. But it is definitely a major improvement IMO where they feel unique, misplay balls, and lower fielders definitely are wanted to now be replaced by better ones late in close games.

And as others have said, liking the new review process! Making us read, which is what reviews are about! Not just scrolling for a score... leave the scores till the end, and those are for the PR/Marketing departments.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 03-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

For starters, fielding is VASTLY changed. I noticed the very first game I played and every game since. If you don't notice it, then I don't know what to say. Balls down the lines no longer are sure bets to get by corner infielders, outfielders have much improved fielding animations that give them more options to field balls, etc.

Quote:
I spoke about this last year and basically it fell on deaf ears...where were you? And it's still my pet peeve...AI outfielders always take perfect routes to balls, especially balls that deflect off the outfield walls. They *always* play the deflection perfectly. The only times OF'ers make mistakes are in misjudging line drives they think they can catch, and then trying to make diving grabs that you already know they are going to miss.

I've got my own ideas on how it can/could be fixed, but until SCEA and others realize there is a problem here, I'll keep to myself I guess......
Old 03-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4
I'm willing to venture that the Show won't be truly mind blowing again until the next console comes out. Not their fault, just a fact of gaming life. I'm not saying it's not a great game, but it's extremely hard to bring out the wow factor year after year on the same console.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Stumpy
I'm willing to venture that the Show won't be truly mind blowing again until the next console comes out. Not their fault, just a fact of gaming life. I'm not saying it's not a great game, but it's extremely hard to bring out the wow factor year after year on the same console.
It is also a testament on how phenomenal the game plays.

But they can definitely spruce up the presentations, and such to add more wow. And I am sure the rumored/impending Franchise redesign will help as well.

But there is so much to this game, it has definitely wow'ed me over '09/'10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
It is also a testament on how phenomenal the game plays.

But they can definitely spruce up the presentations, and such to add more wow. And I am sure the rumored/impending Franchise redesign will help as well.

But there is so much to this game, it has definitely wow'ed me over '09/'10.
Yah, IMO presentation should be the main focus for next year... commentary, graphical overlays, highlight shows, etc.

Adding an MLB Today type feature definitely wouldn't hurt either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »