Home

MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions

We recently changed our review process. Read all about how we do our reviews now.

I love going to Walt Disney World. I got hooked as a kid, and since then it has become my family’s favorite vacation destination. And after many trips, it’s easy to feel a sense of familiarity if there’s no groundbreaking new attraction on a subsequent visit. Yet, it’s still Disney World.

MLB 11: The Show is similar. The new thrill ride is analog controls. Beyond that, it’s pretty much the same place since my last visit. Still, however, it’s The Show.

Read More - MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions

Good review and very fair. I know many will give you grunts when you say that fielding is relectively unchanged except for putting analog in. But I agree that this game is still the best baseball game around.

To me the 2 things that need major upgrades is announcers and fielding.

I had a runner go from first to third on a hard single to center where I lost total control of the fielder because he went into this canned animation to grab the ball and gently toss it back in while the runner was running for third.

Instead of allowimg me to charge the ball it took over with the ASSISTED fielding and made me have zero shot at the runner.

Good job.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
I agree. The analog control really seems to deepen the game, especially hitting is now even more realistic, because you are fored to wait for your pitch and work the count to get it.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Good review and very fair. I know many will give you grunts when you say that fielding is relectively unchanged except for putting analog in.

The fielding did change more than just analog added though.

There is momentum. So missteps are critical. Every fielder is unique. You will want to make subs in late close games. Their jumps, speed, throwing, acceleration. All changed.

How they react to close played balls where you will take less risks with less than stellar fielders.

Way more realistic ball physics and collision on the field of play.

How can this not be noticed? We all noticed the first few hands on times at the CE.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
Am I the only person annoyed by the complete lack of attention to the franchise mode?

They didn't even touch it. The arbitration system is a complete albatross, the trade AI is terrible at best (I was offered Joe Mauer for a 'fakey' middle reliever, just an example) and contract renewable players get dumped into free agency without warning. You can't extend players in season, the draft is awful, you can't edit the players contract to make them accurate.

You can't play the game multiple years down the road and expect it to be anywhere near realistic, and yet, there are PC games like Mogul and OOTP that every year make gigantic strides in improving this. How come San Diego Studios can not?

Also, they really sold us on this co-op mode, but you can only do it in exhibition games, why not put that elsewhere in the game such as franchise or season mode?

I was let down, RTTS was much improved, and gameplay was much nicer, but for being the predominant seller on the block, I really expected some attention paid to the franchise mode. I feel like they just re-packaged last years game with a few patches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Pro

Doran's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: MLB 11: The Show Reviewer First Impressions

The fielding is so improved. Bad fielders really are bad fielders. Their throws aren't perfect. Their desperation dives might knock the ball down, but they'd be lucky to come up with it. I saw a RF in AA make a throw to third. The throw took him off his feet and he landed face first into the grass. And the throw was late, of course.

I actually kinda like Karros, when he's not just repeating Rex. His insight is new and fresh. That said, commentating still needs a complete overhaul on the way the booth is done.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
The fielding did change more than just analog added though.

There is momentum. So missteps are critical. Every fielder is unique. You will want to make subs in late close games. Their jumps, speed, throwing, acceleration. All changed.

How they react to close played balls where you will take less risks with less than stellar fielders.

Way more realistic ball physics and collision on the field of play.

How can this not be noticed? We all noticed the first few hands on times at the CE.
My beef with fielding more has to do with OFers still. I just don't like someone like Coghlan running a ball down deep in the gap and running a perfect route in the process. The issue is it's hard to really figure out a better way to combat that unless you make some sort of "tentative running rating" where a guy who is new to a position does not run his max speed until he knows for sure where he thinks the ball will land.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
The Champ Is Here

Doormat's Arena

OVR: 27
An amazing review, enjoyed every single word there. Hope you enjoy the game also

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »