Home

Major League Baseball 2K11 Hands-On Preview

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K11 Hands-On Preview within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
awesome preview chase. how did mccutchen look?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Major League Baseball 2K11 Hands-On Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
In the outfield you have to start moving immediately. In the infield, I guess the AI pushes you in the right direction at the start like other baseball games. But automated how? There are errors now so it's not like you can just push towards the base and have no fears.
That was what I was referring to. I remember 2k giving the explanation that they made the ball speed coming off the bat more realistic so it would be almost impossible for the player to react to the ball in time for the infield to make the play so they put in the "assist". I loved in 2k8 you can take the infield assist off and make the play yourself (mainly because the ball speed was much slower and you had time to react).

In 2k10 I felt playing the infield was mostly; YOU make the pitch, WATCH the ball get hit as your fielder makes the play and then YOU make the throw to first.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0
Everything written about this game is sounding more and more positive. Thanks for a good write up Chase. The examples you use really help give a sense of a good game with the small details.

Have you seen a real time injury or error in the game yet that surprised you?
8 GB Kingston RAM
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 8

Chase I also want to point out what was said about fielding last year in the OS Review on MLB 2k10.

Quote:
No Field of Dreams

If there is an area of gameplay that is the weakest, it is the fielding. First, it seems like the infielders get to just about everything. Balls up the middle are about the only kind of grounder that gets through for a hit. Even when playing as the Phillies, my beloved "rock" Ryan Howard over at first base was making graceful and spectacular plays. There does not seem to be enough variety when it comes to fielding ratings/skill. Even lowly relief pitchers catch or field just about every come-backer with lighting-quick reflexes.

I know this has been addressed this year.

And, because the action in the infield happens so quickly, the computer assistance seems to handle the largest part of fielding. In most cases, you take control of the infielder just as the ball is getting to him -- just in time to throw and that is about it. The outfield is not quite as "automated" as the infield, which makes sense since you have a longer amount of time to make the play.

This is what I was referring to earlier.

On top of the super-human infielders, there is also the rocket arms of the outfielders. I think part of the arm issue might be field size -- the fields feel a little small (or the players a little too big). Regardless, while I have thrown a few batters out at first on what should have been singles, the AI has not yet rung me up in that way. I also have been able to score from second on a single so the outfielders do not always gun you down when going for an extra base. I do think some of the complaints by the masses may be a bit overstated, but outfielders' arms certainly are a issue that cannot be ignored.

Hoping this is addressed this year as well

This perception that arms and gloves are overpowered is also supported by the statistics. There simply are not enough errors in this game, an issue that is made more apparent by defensively inferior players making spectacular plays in the field.

We know this has been addressed as well
Not too sure if your writing the review on 2k11 but I hope you guys can refer back to these major concerns many of us had with 2k10s fielding.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 02-28-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 13

Chase,

With respects to hitting, did you notice if check swings are in the game? :-)

I think the fact that there is no talk of a release day patch is very encouraging!

BigBlue
Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
This game sounds promising; I really hope it lives up to all the positive previews it has received. I'm looking forward to trying out the Demo tomorrow, that's for sure.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #31
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tistethebeast
awesome preview chase. how did mccutchen look?
He's got the dreads in the game this year, thought he looked good. Not sure if his batting stance is 100 percent accurate but he definitely got some love from 2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
That was what I was referring to. I remember 2k giving the explanation that they made the ball speed coming off the bat more realistic so it would be almost impossible for the player to react to the ball in time for the infield to make the play so they put in the "assist". I loved in 2k8 you can take the infield assist off and make the play yourself (mainly because the ball speed was much slower and you had time to react).

In 2k10 I felt playing the infield was mostly; YOU make the pitch, WATCH the ball get hit as your fielder makes the play and then YOU make the throw to first.
Right, yeah I didn't feel like I was useless in the infield. Like I said in my example, I lunged towards a ball with Walker through the hole, and the appearance of bleeders and choppers led to more situations where the IFers had to make things happen on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munky1307
Everything written about this game is sounding more and more positive. Thanks for a good write up Chase. The examples you use really help give a sense of a good game with the small details.

Have you seen a real time injury or error in the game yet that surprised you?
Just saw one bobble error, otherwise no injuries etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #32
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
Not too sure if your writing the review on 2k11 but I hope you guys can refer back to these major concerns many of us had with 2k10s fielding.
As for cannon arms, hard to say at this point. However, there is arm strength slider at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Chase,

With respects to hitting, did you notice if check swings are in the game? :-)

I think the fact that there is no talk of a release day patch is very encouraging!

BigBlue
I did not check swing during my time (or try), and I've said before I'm awful at check swinging with analog controls (in both baseball games).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »