Home

What If You Could Float Like a Butterfly in Fight Night?

This is a discussion on What If You Could Float Like a Butterfly in Fight Night? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Pro

acarrero's Arena

OVR: 10
Footwork is definitely improve-able in this series. I can use it to evade just enough in FN4 (post-patch), but I worry that it will again be a weakness of the gameplay, leading to a lot of phone booth fights indeed. As long as it's at least as good as FN4's footwork post-patch, then it will be ok. But the series is due for a serious improvement in footwork.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: What If You Could Float Like a Butterfly in Fight Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
And then the other side of the equation. What happens to the balance of power between the boxer and the slugger? I would love to see footwork perfected. But it's perfection is a very slippery slope.
Its not a slippery slope. Increase the footwork ability, and increase the power of flush shots landed. Give the slugger the abilitiy to drop you with one punch and make the boxer have to land a succession of punches to get the knockdown.

Slower boxers/sluggers have to learn to cut the ring off; to be effective against elusive outside fighters.

Tyson was an animal because he was soo damn fast. His footwork was great. He would use it to get inside in a flash on much taller fighters. Extremely rare for a slugger.

Great write up OP. I agree with everything you've stated.

Last edited by Vast; 01-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Pro

acarrero's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Yeah, MMChrisS's post talks about Mayweather and Ali dancing out of trouble, but footwork has to be a usable asset for a power puncher as well. Positioning themselves properly for that perfect power shot is part of the footwork game.
Even if you have Rocky Marciano rated a "7" at footwork and Ali a "10", you should still have some stick skill leeway to get Rock into position to cut the ring off or set up the right cross.
I think that is already in the game. If you saw the Hagler-Hearns video, Hagler won because he was landing all these lunging punches, where he would step up and punch, as opposed to Hearns who was just standing back. thos ehave to be timed and you have to sue footwork. Footwork mattered in FN4 as well (post-patch), a lot of the best boxers I fought online (not spammers) would take a step back to make me miss and then step fwd to counter. So while I like this article, and I think there is room for improving the footwork, let's not exaggerate the quality of the footwork in this game. It was a factor in FN4 and I am hoping it will take another step with FNC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrero
I think that is already in the game. If you saw the Hagler-Hearns video, Hagler won because he was landing all these lunging punches, where he would step up and punch, as opposed to Hearns who was just standing back. thos ehave to be timed and you have to sue footwork. Footwork mattered in FN4 as well (post-patch), a lot of the best boxers I fought online (not spammers) would take a step back to make me miss and then step fwd to counter. So while I like this article, and I think there is room for improving the footwork, let's not exaggerate the quality of the footwork in this game. It was a factor in FN4 and I am hoping it will take another step with FNC.
If they made the step back move more effective (ie. a jump back move) then that would be enough to satisfy me.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

We should find out more February 1st, particularly with Ali-Tyson.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »