Home

Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

This is a discussion on Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #337
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Biggest Hope for 11!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcern23
I'm talking hits guys total hits not saying there is a comeback code because there is not. What I am saying is that I dont feel there are enough games where the hit category in the final box score is separated by more than 3 hits. Its way too often the same or within one or two hits regardless of what difficulty you play on. Do you see this for example. Human 14 hits CPU 7 hits final hit total. YES you do so no I'm not talking about some code, but I am serious when I say 90 percent of my final hit totals for the CPU and HUM are within 3 hits. Check your box scores fellas you will see.
I don't see it either. I play all of my games. But like Knight said, it really doesn't make a difference.

I have put the game down for a while (like 3 weeks), but I did play one game the other night and won something like 6-0 (I had 9 hits, and the CPU had 1). If you saw how pumped I was after the game, you'd know that I don't pitch complete game one hitters often! LOL

But what I'm saying is, I see 6+ hit CPU to User spreads all of the time.

Incase you're wondering, I was on AS default for this game. Classic pitching. When I was hitting on Legend, I did see closer game to game hit totals, but this was because of how difficult hitting for me was on Legend. Not because the CPU has to keep things close (relating to hit totals).
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #338
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.kariya
Not too much wrong with MLB 10 that i would want to upgrade in 2011. How bout the ability to create your own ballpark and make it uniquer than all the other parks in the league and have the announcers be able to talk about it. Doubt that'll ever happen but it's just a wish.
according to Russell, create a stadium will never be in the game in the manner in which most are expecting.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #339
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I don't have the boxscores right now, but I did look into this myself after another poster mentioned that other than when a shutout of a team happened, something like 95% of his games (over nearly 3 complete seasons) had a "comeback" inning (an inning where if Team A scored, Team B immediately followed with a run).
Ah yes, I do remember this conversation. Remember what I said in that the it [comeback inning] only had to happen once a game. I had quite a few lop sided games in my third season, much more so than in the first two season. The main reason for this is Adam Dunn. In the first two seasons, I had a lot more close games (kind of fits with your runs scored average versus runs allowed).

Another thing I have noticed in my third season is that while by runs and average have all increased as a team, my ERA got worse. There was a definite correlation between the two in my franchise, even though the pitching staff remained the same. I don't buy for a second the line that the CPU doesn't know the score. If that were the case, they wouldn't be bunting in late innings with a close score, while playing deeper and off the bags when they are way up, among other things. Now the CPU scoring more runs against me in a correlative manner to me scoring more runs against them does not in any way prove or even indicate a comeback code. When you the player are down by 4 runs do you only try to score 3? Why should the computer?

And just to set the record straight about the whole comeback inning, the only thing that 98%-100% of non shutout games had one only proves that there is an extremely good chance one will happen in games I play. I have zero data on games anyone else plays. I have also never had a blown save when I didn't score in the bottom of the 8th or top of the 9th. I also have had a couple of blown saves when I scored the previous inning, but certainly not every time, or even close to it. Indeed, I have only had a handful of saves blown in three seasons of play. What does this prove? Only that Bailey is a damn good closer on this game.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #340
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
Ah yes, I do remember this conversation. Remember what I said in that the it [comeback inning] only had to happen once a game. I had quite a few lop sided games in my third season, much more so than in the first two season. The main reason for this is Adam Dunn. In the first two seasons, I had a lot more close games (kind of fits with your runs scored average versus runs allowed).

Another thing I have noticed in my third season is that while by runs and average have all increased as a team, my ERA got worse. There was a definite correlation between the two in my franchise, even though the pitching staff remained the same. I don't buy for a second the line that the CPU doesn't know the score. If that were the case, they wouldn't be bunting in late innings with a close score, while playing deeper and off the bags when they are way up, among other things. Now the CPU scoring more runs against me in a correlative manner to me scoring more runs against them does not in any way prove or even indicate a comeback code. When you the player are down by 4 runs do you only try to score 3? Why should the computer?

And just to set the record straight about the whole comeback inning, the only thing that 98%-100% of non shutout games had one only proves that there is an extremely good chance one will happen in games I play. I have zero data on games anyone else plays. I have also never had a blown save when I didn't score in the bottom of the 8th or top of the 9th. I also have had a couple of blown saves when I scored the previous inning, but certainly not every time, or even close to it. Indeed, I have only had a handful of saves blown in three seasons of play. What does this prove? Only that Bailey is a damn good closer on this game.
I was waiting for you to respond to this! LOL I was going to use your user name, but figured you'd still be able to smell the "Yankee fan talking about Cardsleadtheway" stench permeating all over this thread!!!

I never told you my data...in fear of getting the thread closed. But, with yet another discussion blossoming, I figured now was as good a time as any.

Oh yes. I remember the test. I probably didn't articulate myself well enough in my first post about its terms (as my verbal skills have been deteriorating in accordance the real life Yankees offseason. Andruw Jones is NOT enough to give me my swagger back). LOL

Like I said. Game after game after game without a comeback inning. In fact, like I mentioned, I saw more games without than with. And yes, I counted myself AND the CPU.

You make a good point about your first two seasons. My offense has never really struggled like yours due to the fact that the Yankees are stacked (and some guys are rated too high on top of it). But your ERA RISING once you offense started putting up more runs is news to me.

I don't know. It's a tough subject to debate, that's for sure. We all play with different teams, abilites, and some of us (without even knowing it) may play diffently depending on the score.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 01-21-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #341
MVP

Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

Here are some of Brian's posts, all dating back to March of 2010. He was refering to a different experiment, so I cut out the irrelevant stuff as to not confuse anyone. I did NOT cut out anything that was relevant to this topic, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
I was only commenting on how the CPU performs relative to how the human is doing in a game, and how the CPU's performance doesn't change based on who's winning.
Quote:
The CPU's hitting has no relation to your hitting. It does have relation to your pitching, which if anything is what could be changing. Isn't it a more likely explanation that that the better you hit, the better you are allowing the CPU to hit? Some people don't play as hard when they're winning. In fact, that's more true in a video game than real MLB baseball, not less. An experiment needs to eliminate this bias.
Here's some stuff on how sliders work. For those of you struggling with game variety, this may or may not be useful for some fine tuning...or maybe I just liked the Yankee compliments! LOL

Quote:
Here's some information that might be helpful as far as sliders go, since it sounds like there's some confusion here. The sliders exist to help people fine tune the game to their liking. A full five steps in one direction might make an average team into a top tier team, and vice versa.

Yet even top tier teams like the Yankees lose plenty of games, sometimes by large margins, to bottom tier teams. MLB teams even lose to AAA teams in practice games. If a game is lost by 10 runs, that really has nothing to do with the sliders at all. When the Yankees lose 10-0 to a weak team, can we automatically assume the other team cheated?

Look up how much better the Yankees are than average, factoring in their league and stadium. It's less than one run offensively, and less than one run defensively. Let's say 1 run total for simplicity. So if you're seeing huge effects, it has nothing to do with sliders. And likewise if you're expecting or assuming huge effects with sliders, you're not going to get them. That said, if you look at how a team like the Yankees does over 162 games, you'll see 1 run a game isn't as insignificant as it sounds. This is just the way baseball is.

This is why sliders are not used for difficulty so much as fine tuning, and more specifically allowing you to tune various aspects independantly. Few slider sets need them to be more drastic than they are, because over 162 games they'll add up. They exist for precision, not for show.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 01-21-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #342
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomDude
I Hope they fix the Potential Ratings for a lot of Super Stars. Miguel Cabrera with C Potential?
Doesn't "C" potential just mean he won't improve much over his current abilities? I'm cool with that. It just means he won't get more awesome than he already is.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #343
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I was waiting for you to respond to this! LOL I was going to use your user name, but figured you'd still be able to smell the "Yankee fan talking about Cardsleadtheway" stench permeating all over this thread!!!

I never told you my data...in fear of getting the thread closed. But, with yet another discussion blossoming, I figured now was as good a time as any.

Oh yes. I remember the test. I probably didn't articulate myself well enough in my first post about its terms (as my verbal skills have been deteriorating in accordance the real life Yankees offseason. Andruw Jones is NOT enough to give me my swagger back). LOL

Like I said. Game after game after game without a comeback inning. In fact, like I mentioned, I saw more games without than with. And yes, I counted myself AND the CPU.

You make a good point about your first two seasons. My offense has never really struggled like yours due to the fact that the Yankees are stacked (and some guys are rated too high on top of it). But your ERA RISING once you offense started putting up more runs is news to me.

I don't know. It's a tough subject to debate, that's for sure. We all play with different teams, abilites, and some of us (without even knowing it) may play diffently depending on the score.
I don't know how you can't play differently depending on the score, especially if you are a fan of baseball. If I get rocked early, I know that a comeback will not happen (usually) the next inning. I have to work the count in order to get a high pitch count while trying to get players on base. Swinging for the fences just won't cut it. I need to either tire out the starter, or else knock his stamina and confidence down so that I can have a big inning or two. Now if I am up, I play just normal baseball. If I am up big, I might try to pad stats or else get some bench players in. When I am pitching, the same kind of stuff happens. If I my pitch count is getting up, I might try to pitch to contact to save my arm, and thus end up giving up base hits and/or runs. Have I ever mentioned how much I love this game?

Hero, I can relate to your real world off season woes. I have felt it for several years now. This year is the first I have actually gotten my hopes up. The A's may not have made huge splashes so far, but the tons of small ones are all improvements (hard not to improve upon a team with a 16 home run leader). I see the current A's attempting to put together something similar to the 2010 Giants team. Not a formula that will win the AL East, but certainly one that can take the West. So let me be excited for the both of us, I guess is what I am saying, heh
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #344
MVP

Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

Yeah Cards, I'm a lot more into MY Yankees than their real life counterparts...

Though I do see their logic in signing Martin and A. Jones...I can see having done the same moves myself. Marcus Thames and Francisco Cervelli gave me nothing! LOL

And I actually prefer the A's real life rotation over the real life Yanks' too. Ugh. I'll play as Yanks in '11. I'll just be really tempted to sim to the '12 season. That, or make a real push for a starter at the deadline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »