Home

MLB 10 The Show vs. MLB 11 The Show Player Model Comparison Screenshots

This is a discussion on MLB 10 The Show vs. MLB 11 The Show Player Model Comparison Screenshots within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 10 vs. MLB 11 Player model comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well, here's why they existed in the first place (and I'd like for Russell or anyone else in game designing to please correct me if none of this sounds right).

This game is developed in 720p, or a 1280 x 720 resolution. Any 720p LCD HDTV that you see on the market has a native resolution of 1368 x 768, which is partly the reason why a VGA input source might actually look a bit crisper than an HDMI input source because VGA can do a proper 1:1 output while HDMI must account over the extra pixels and perform an overscan to fill up the screen.

If you have an LCD like I do, especially if it's Samsung because I know they're mostly the same, check your picture resolution options and see what you find. You'll probably have 16:9, 4:3, maybe a Zoom 1 and Zoom 2, but you'll probably also have something called "Just Scan," which displays your image at what seems to be its native resolution, as opposed to filling the screen or what have you. In other words, the difference between playing MLB 10: The Show on 16:9 and playing it on Just Scan is the resolution display, where you won't see any black borders in the 16:9 mode.

So how do developers look past this issue? They either allow the user to configure their own stretch settings (or might just give you a straight-up overscan option like Rock Band), or they'll auto-correct it themselves without the option. That being said, at least The Show 09 and 10 have slider options to stretch your screen and fit it correctly, and I have such a Samsung 720p LCD HDTV with a Just Scan mode where I must use these options to fill the screen.

When you're given the option to take snapshots of this game and save it onto the XMB, it's going to take the picture based on these resolution settings. So if you're playing your game in a 16:9 mode, even though you can't see the black borders, they really do exist "beyond the screen" unless you fill it yourself with the game's settings. This is why you'll see everyone's snapshots have black borders except mine, and maybe a few others... because unless you're playing with some sort of "Just Scan" option and you change the overscan settings yourself, the game will only be playing in its native 1280 x 720 pixels as opposed to a slightly overscanned 1368 x 768 pixels, even though your TV's zoom settings are technically doing that for you already.

So Russell's MLB 11 screenshots are grabbed from a 1368 x 768 source, like they always should be, only an overscan effect is taking place. This was either done by the manual settings that the game has always had, or they developed the game so that it automatically accomplishes this overscan without you knowing it. In a sense, if you're playing the game in 16:9 and not in "Just Scan" (I quote it because I don't know what other TV companies call this zoom option), you're actually losing that much image on the borders.
Whooosh! Over my head...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #74
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Hahaha okay, later tonight I will record a video and show you exactly what I mean. I'll be clear.

Only problem is right now my roommate and his friends rented out the entire Twilight Saga and are busy watching those. They didn't even rent them on Blu-ray!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #75
Rookie

Nexgenrulz's Arena

OVR: 2

Excited for this game. I just hope with all the changes, the Indians home batting helmets are corrected. They've been messed up the past 2 years. But for some reason, the PSP version this year was correct. The MLB Style Guide excuse is getting old.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #76
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

The Howard shot looks very promising. It actually looks like his body

Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #77
Rookie

Stumpy Santo's Arena

OVR: 4

Wow, how disappointing.

Those umpire models haven't changed at all.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #78
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Hahaha okay, later tonight I will record a video and show you exactly what I mean. I'll be clear.

Only problem is right now my roommate and his friends rented out the entire Twilight Saga and are busy watching those. They didn't even rent them on Blu-ray!
I'd be interested in a video on this.

While we're at it, could you PM me a link to your hitting video (the one you mentioned in the ESPN article thread)? I think I missed that one.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 12-15-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #79
Banned

khronikos's Arena

OVR: 4

Weird thing. My new replacement LG local dimmer which is much better than my defunct one has like 1 or 2 pixel lines that do not fill the screen at the top in Just Scan no matter what I do to stretch it (it runs one or two shy from filling at the top). My other one I believe, the crappy older but same model one, filled it all I think. This is the only game I have that Just Scan does not fill the screen correctly even with slider options. So I use 16x9 to fill that extra line or two and make sure it is not overscanning which is nice they gave those options otherwise my just scan would have not totally filled it for some odd reason and of course normally 16x9 cuts off the image. It was a bit annoying to see the one or two lines at the top as black. I always use Just Scan and it never has done this. My TV might has some 1 pixel line bias or something I have no clue but it's beautiful that is for sure and much better than the clunker with missing pixels and what not.

Last edited by khronikos; 12-15-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #80
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I'd be interested in a video on this.

While we're at it, could you PM me a link to your hitting video (the one you mentioned in the ESPN article threade)? I think I missed that one.
Click on the googly eyes in that post. It's more or less a rant on how their system was pretty flawed from a baseball purist's perspective. It's in two parts as well, so you'll have to find the other one on there.

But yeah, they're only on New Moon so far so it might not be up until midnight on the west coast.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »