Home

Dynasty Musings: The Show is Still King

This is a discussion on Dynasty Musings: The Show is Still King within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Dynasty Musings: The Show is Still King

With the release of NBA 2K11 and NHL 11, all of the major sports titles have now been released for 2010. And rising from the dust of a lot of busted franchise modes is SCE San Diego Studio's MLB 10: The Show.

Here are five reasons why The Show possesses the best franchise/dynasty mode on the market.

1. Simulation Realism

It's really very simple for number one. You don't see random guys consistently performing at a higher level in this game. Sure, there are fluke seasons in The Show, but there are in real life, too. Jose Bautista is a great example of this. If you have a good team with good coaches, you are going to perform well. It's as simple as that.

A player with a high plate discipline and plate vision is going to draw more walks. A pitcher with good stuff and low control is going to strike out a lot of people but walk his fair share of batters as well. Performing based on attributes is something that has apparently fallen out of favor with many titles this year, most notably in Madden 11 and NHL 11.

Read More - Dynasty Musings: The Show is Still King
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Absolutely agree! The Show is still king
Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4
Of the 4 major north american sports (MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL). The show is light years ahead of any other game as far as realism and sim aspects are concerned. Watch an MLB game and play MLB the show. Its scary how true to life the game plays. Play any other sports game and its laughable how far off the game is compared to the real thing. Sure there are still some aspects of the show that need to be improved, like fielding and certain aspects of pitching like more user walks, but this game is still a great representation of baseball. EA's NHL while still a good game, does not play anything close to what I would call a typical game of hockey. It's fun and stats are somewhat realistic, but not because the gameplay matches the on ice product. For some reason The Show is the only game that does not feel scripted in anyway. Game variety is also superb. You can go from having a 1-0 game, to a 15-12 slugfest the next. The Devs really take consumer input seriously and are always very active on the OS boards and are always quick to address gameplay issues in a prompt manner. They really seem to take pride in their product and truly try to put out the best game possible, and don't make it seem like they are only in it for the $$, like some companies.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 13
I absolutley agree with all of this and it really isnt close.. Its why I am still playing this game over all the other good games mentioned hedre (and others).

I also sold my 360 for a PS3 just so that I could play this game.. There are not many single platform games that have that affect. Of course, the 2k series isnt really that good so that helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
My biggest issue with The Show's dynasty:

1.) The menu interface is beyond boring- bland, uninspired, and actually makes me not want to invest time in the mode.

2.) The lack of anything interesting presentation wise outside of a game. I miss the days of Sports Illustrated covers,weekly wrap up highlight shows, and player news/notes.

BTW- simming in MLB10 is brutal. It takes hours to sim a season- 2K10 is much quicker with the average season sim being 5-10 minutes depending on how quick you are on the button presses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Bought NBA 2K for the first time since 2k4. Have always been a college hoops fan and with no college title this year I had to resort and it did not last long. Two weeks with NBA2k11 is all it lasted have been back on The Show and this will be my only sports game purchase annually
Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 9
Agree 100%. Maybe SCEA should take a crack at football.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8
3. Options

Another reason why The Show's Franchise mode stands out is because of all the options that you can choose between while running your team. Do you want to control EVERYTHING, even things like ticket prices, fan amenities and marketing campaigns? Do you want to leave all of that stuff aside and simply take control of baseball operations? Either way, you can do what you want to do and not be annoyed by certain aspects of the game if you don't feel like it's necessary.

^^^My biggest complaint about sports games these days...im a 360 owner and have NEVER played The Show, but it kills me how people flock to a certain football game that has continued to underachieve with delivering its offline season features. Im certain a feature like this in The Show makes you even wanna question going online in the first place...

Just let me set my ticket prices etc... and I will be a happy camper...
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »