Home

Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

This is a discussion on Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #129
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB01
He could actually be doing it if he has good discipline, yea. I changed my approach at the plate ( less chasing and more patience -- let the ball come to me kinda thing without using the left thumbstick ) and I draw more walks and hit better too. This is on Hall of Fame diff. I was chasing too much early in the count.
Just curious, but why not use the same approach of patience, but continue to use the left stick? Or did you always swing only?

I believe both styles to be fine, btw.

Yeah, absolutely swing only can probably be done on high levels if you can find a way to deal with a confident pitcher. I personally have a hard time with that moving the left stick at will.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #130
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
If you're refering to some plays being scripted, are you implying comeback code?

Think like a dev here. What do you suggest the reason behind the "morphing" is? I'm a little confused with your last two posts.

We can all agree that some weird stuff happens when the game gets slowed down. But I can't help but infer you suggesting some reasoning behind it that you're simply not saying.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here. Just trying to follow you on this.
Oh please not those words . All I'm talking about is putting results into the hands of the user. As much as possible, the more the merrier.

The morphing and such is happening because ratings and other factors (see Countyboy's post) are dictating results rather than user input. That's fine if I'm playing coach mode only, but if I'm controlling the action I want to be in charge of the results.

Nobody can deny that the CPU dictates some outcomes no matter what input a user provides, and I responded because someone was called a liar for stating such. It's not a lie, it's a fact. Just do a youtube search for 'The Show PCI hitting tutorial.' While the guy is teaching he gets all confused at the results he's getting while batting - and he's supposed to be an expert.

The PCI system is not bad. But if it's too easy for a poor hitter to hit a good pitcher don't give me random results. Instead, find ways to increase the difficulty so I'm still in charge of the action.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #131
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

I was stating lies because you PYS players come in here and stating that The Show hitting system is all random which it is not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #132
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Swaldo, I understand you now. Thanks.

Your last paragraph has me thinking. Interesting idea there. Instead of turning solid contact into an out due to circumstance (country boy's formula), you'd rather see the hitting system just get harder, thus forcing you into poor contact with said poor hitter.

A change like this for '11 I could deal with.

Regardless, I'm convinced next year's title will be slightly more pitcher friendly, as to reflect the current state of pitching dominate baseball.

Personally, though not ideal, I'm not afraid of some game altering, under the hood type stat based pre-destiny stat engine. If it were to be subtle, giving the user most of the control, as long as my stats looked good I would welcome this. Honestly, a system like this may exist now...as some are implying.

Again, just to reiterate, I'm more of a baseball guy then a video game guy. I don't mind if I'm not 100% in control of my games outcomes (which I'm not sure whether I am or not now). Just to point out too, I currently don't feel as if the controller has been taken out of my hands. The user DOES provide plenty of input to the game's outcome. How much is what's debateable.

My only issue currently is the power attribute's dominance in regards to overall batting average. It's no gamebreaker though. My franchise is going great!

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 09-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #133
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
Just curious, but why not use the same approach of patience, but continue to use the left stick? Or did you always swing only?

I believe both styles to be fine, btw.

Yeah, absolutely swing only can probably be done on high levels if you can find a way to deal with a confident pitcher. I personally have a hard time with that moving the left stick at will.
No, before changing my approach, I used the left stick -- too much so. I couldn't hold back from chasing balls outside and inside. Plus, I would pop up lots of balls right over the plate cause I have a habit of aiming my swing downward.

I may try going back to using the left stick more and being patient just to see if I can actually do that instead of reaching for questionable pitches.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #134
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Oh please not those words . All I'm talking about is putting results into the hands of the user. As much as possible, the more the merrier.

The morphing and such is happening because ratings and other factors (see Countyboy's post) are dictating results rather than user input. That's fine if I'm playing coach mode only, but if I'm controlling the action I want to be in charge of the results.
Then why have ratings? Ratings have to account for something and my guess is that you're using that as the catapult for this "randomness" idea that you're chasing. If the sole purpose is to have the user's input dictate the outcomes of the action, then how are we to differentiate the difference between a good player and a poor player?

The answer, you can't. Ratings have to account for something. The user's input dictates how well those ratings are represented in any given situation.

The argument that the cpu/game randomly chooses outcomes can be argued to death in any video game. The fact of the matter is that the cpu/game has to determine the outcome to a certain degree, especially in sports games, where we as fans want to differentiate the difference between Albert Pujols and Brendan Ryan. The expression of ratings is what influence the game has over the outcome of any given situation. Its like that in the Show, NHL, NBA 2K, PYS, FIFA, Madden, UFC, Smackdown vs Raw, in any game where ratings are accounted how well an individual does in any given situation, the game has to have some influence over the outcome. Again, if its strictly user determined, then there is no need for ratings which means there is no way to differentiate between good players and bad.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #135
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo

Nobody can deny that the CPU dictates some outcomes no matter what input a user provides, and I responded because someone was called a liar for stating such. It's not a lie, it's a fact. Just do a youtube search for 'The Show PCI hitting tutorial.' While the guy is teaching he gets all confused at the results he's getting while batting - and he's supposed to be an expert.

The PCI system is not bad. But if it's too easy for a poor hitter to hit a good pitcher don't give me random results. Instead, find ways to increase the difficulty so I'm still in charge of the action.

I think 60 or so guys at SCEA "deny" it.....and call me crazy, but I think they should know!

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #136
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
I was stating lies because you PYS players come in here and stating that The Show hitting system is all random which it is not.
Wow, so basically I've been accused of implying comeback code and being a PYS fanboy but I didn't mention one word of either. This thread is neutral - the purpose being to find out what The Show can do to improve the game for 2011. All ideas and discussion should be welcome, and the fact is that I like the Show, care about it's future and want to make it known that I want more contol.

If someone comes in and says "Hey, 2K does this right and should be implimented in The Show"' why put them down, attack them and call them liars? I will just leave quietly and report your posts. Whether you're Pro-Show or anti-Show, putting someone down who's just trying to add their input and have an open dialog is now considered a violation of forum rules.

Last edited by swaldo; 09-21-2010 at 01:08 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »