Home

FIFA Soccer 11 Demo Available Post Impressions Here (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 11 Demo Available Post Impressions Here (PS3, 360) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #113
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: FIFA Soccer 11 Demo Available Post Impressions Here (PS3, 360)

My impressions are minimal at this point because it's very difficult IMO to get a good idea of what's there with 3 minute halves. Great job EA by giving multiple teams and a couple of different stadiums but the braindead decision to have 3 minute halves was ridiculous. I just normally quit before PKs.

I have yet to score a goal through about 20 games on WC(Manual), but it's not a concern because I play a very slow style.

A few positives that I see at this point:

*I really notice a difference in the players. Some are better at first touch, more physical, better dribblers, one touch passers.

*CPU teammates are much more responsive IMO.

*WC level seems to have removed a few of the built in CPU advantages, but again this only on 3 minute halves.

*The game is very physical. I see more fouls and being able to play 15 minute halves and not have an obscene amount of shots.

*The game is more....sloppy(?) which equates to realism and an organic true to life feel. I see the CPU missing a lot of passes as do I. I feel like I need to make a good effort at getting the ball to the midfielders who can control the ball and have good passing ratings like a Fabregas/Pirlo.

*Passing needs to be first priority at least for the USER. When I watch games on the weekend there aren't a lot of dribble runs that go more than 10 yards in a slowed down "half court" type of game. Players who pass...dribble...pass..dribble will be penalized and punished against good defensive teams and they should. Patience seems to be very important.

A couple of challenges:

*Constant forward pressure by CPU. Last year I was able to close down passing lanes well by playing off ball defense. Very difficult to do in this demo. Still looks like the CTT Build Up speed are set too high......again. I've seen many interviews in this dev phase where ping pong passing is mentioned and how they want to get away from that but with a high build up setting for the CPU the game becomes a button mashing arcade mess. Hopefully this can be fixed within the CTT...again.

*The harrassment from the CPU is back. I guess this didn't figure in the Personality+ "feature". The constant pressure, especially from ST/CF/Forwards is just stupid. I hope the final version is better, but I doubt it.

*Does the CPU pass or will they just dribble until I take the ball from them?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #114
Support Sim

BroMontana82's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins
Nope, and I hope there never are.
thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #115
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is what can happen when you don't clear crosses into the box:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #116
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
A couple of challenges:

*Constant forward pressure by CPU. Last year I was able to close down passing lanes well by playing off ball defense. Very difficult to do in this demo. Still looks like the CTT Build Up speed are set too high......again. I've seen many interviews in this dev phase where ping pong passing is mentioned and how they want to get away from that but with a high build up setting for the CPU the game becomes a button mashing arcade mess. Hopefully this can be fixed within the CTT...again.

*The harrassment from the CPU is back. I guess this didn't figure in the Personality+ "feature". The constant pressure, especially from ST/CF/Forwards is just stupid. I hope the final version is better, but I doubt it.

*Does the CPU pass or will they just dribble until I take the ball from them?
As to point one, I feel exactly opposite. Last year you could stand in passing lanes all day and it didn't really matter. Well actually standing in passing lanes just meant the CPU diddle'd around with the ball for far too long. Send that f'n ball in or dribble. Ha, that's how I felt with FIFA10.

Last year, I felt even if you were in the passing lanes, they could pass through you. Because tackling isn't the way to beat the CPU, you have to shut down passing and dribbling lanes as well as staying close with the player with the ball.

The final thing is that if a good player as the ball, in real footie, player consistently back off for fear of getting beat. Last year, you just shoulder tackled. This year, and I've never be able to say this about any footie game, I actually have to give ground to good players or they will dribble through me. And I have to be selective when going for the ball.

I think it's more organic this year.

I don't think we'll ever get rid of CPU pressuring. PES and FIFA both do this. It's not realistic as anyone who watches soccer will attest. But the programmers don't ever really design this part of the game right.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #117
Rookie

OVR: 6

Starting to see more glimpses of the different player styles, so I'm hoping it's more apparent when I can play with longer halves. Drogba is an absolute force when he has the ball - muscling guys off the ball to keep possession. On the flip side, Messi just made Frank Lampard look like an idiot. It's the first time I've seen the CPU do a move other than the spin. Messi had the ball by the end line and just kept flipping it back and forth and round his heels to keep Lampard frozen. It was fantastic to watch and made it feel really good when I was finally able to take the ball of of him

On another note, what's the 'Net Tension' option all about? Is it purely cosmetic? I'm hoping there's a setting in there somewhere that allows me to get that 'ping' sound from the World Cup game back. It was a minor little detail, but it made scoring a goal feel so much better when you heard the net smack against the metal of the frame.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #118
Rookie

OVR: 5

The fifa 11 demo is great loving the game. i just hope they can space the midfield a bit more in the final or via patch and also real back the defensive pressure a bit also i want to see more of a build up by the cpu attack ...definately loving the personality plus no matter how little is shown because of the length of time given to play

Last edited by stmark; 09-18-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added more to my post
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #119
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

There's a lot of really good improvements in the demo. Ball physics are improved and teammate AI seem seems a little better finally. Overall though, the game still has that "fast break, basketball on grass, ping pong, tacklefest" feeling to it. The CPU still applies way too much pressure all over the pitch and they still won't pass the ball back or have any semblence of buildup play.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #120

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Overall though, the game still has that "fast break, basketball on grass, ping pong, tacklefest" feeling to it. The CPU still applies way too much pressure all over the pitch and they still won't pass the ball back or have any semblence of buildup play.
I blame it on 3-minute halves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »