Home

Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

This is a discussion on Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

I loathe the fielding in this game, that's my only real complaint. So many times a ball is hit down the line or in the hole and your guy is right there but he lets it go through. It doesn't matter how good a fielder he is either, it always happens. It normally happens with two outs, therefore I do 'guard lines' most times I got two outs. You get the same crap in the outfield with how balls are hit to you, while the AI runs the bases and your fielder fields the ground ball justtttttt perfectly enough for the AI to slide in safe at second or third or home.

The sliding/tags are horrendous too. Fielding needs a big overhaul.

Other than that, I would just like to see better representation from the batting stances/pitching deliveries. So many are so way off. Been three years and Longoria still doesn't have his stance, despite being a top offensive player in the game. That one drives me nuts.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #50
Rookie

snugglyirishman's Arena

OVR: 4
To go along with the sliding issue I would love for them to get rid of the analog base running....far too often in RTTS my player will be running to second and not slide but then decide to go for 3rd and when I hit back on the analog stick he just stops running and is tagged out...or if I hit a gapper and try for a triple he'll come around 1st and slow down to a stop and then start up again and only make it into 2nd....there has to be a better baserunning system
Old 09-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #51
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

classic ftw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 1

I would like to see a smoother base running. I stop short all the time on classic because the game decides on this play my guy is not going to try for the triple when that is all he needs for a cycle with the ball in the deepest part of the field and has not been fielded yet when I reach second. I always seem to stop turn all the way around and then head to third to miss it in a slide. I just wish if I want to go all out and keep the button pressed down then I go all out. I would rather risk it and be aggressive more than what I am allowed to do now.

The hitting can use some small tweaks most for me would be the camera but other then that I am fine with what is here. Also a better RTTS goals and training system would be great. I should not get punished for a hit and run if the ball is way out of the zone and swinging would be stupid. Or the double penalty for not being able to steal a base. Also randomized stats when you start so you have a chance at being a stud instead of a guy that is just picked for filler like it feels like sometimes. I know some guys spend years in the minors with little movement but others spend a month or two and are in the majors. I would just like the chance.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 17

The hitting has come contact issues, but I find its difficulty a welcome change of pace, really. I still remember the days of MVP where you could hit 100 HR's a season easily with your best power hitters, while batting over .400, and then having another 50 HR's a piece from the rest of your team. The stats I end up with by the end of the season in the Show are ultimately realistic. So despite how frustrating it is to make good contact sometimes, I enjoy it enough. I mainly just don't like when your player is "cold". As it takes the control out of your hands, really. Even when you're lined up to make good contact, you'll still see infield popups because of it.

Baserunning, mainly stealing, needs tweaked. They still have that problem where your baserunner can get a GREAT jump, yet he'll slow down on his way to second, seemingly wanting to get thrown out. I hate that. Even with the slider all the way up, it still happens constantly. As do the pickoffs. You can't even defend against the pickups half the time.

I know they've constantly denied that there's a "comeback code" or whatever it was referred to, but the amount of two out hits and errors (only they're not counted as errors) is still ridiculous in this year's version of the game. I was hoping that would have been fixed. The majority of the AI's hits and my infielders errors and my pitcher losing command all happens with two outs. This happens more often than not, despite it not happening at all sometimes. I can't be alone in hoping this becomes more balanced by next year's game. While I love a competitive AI, I hate the way the AI "cheats" you in some ways in these situations. I'll have times where I throw a breaking ball two feet outside yet it's ripped down the line for a pull double. Then the next batter comes up and he's conveniently hit by a pitch that I'm not aiming anywhere near him. Then I throw a breaking pitch down and it goes past my catcher so they can take third/second. Then the batter drives a perfect shot up the middle no matter where I place the pitch or what I throw or who it is at the plate. Just seems like it's scripted for the AI to come back in a lot of games, no matter how hard you play them. I remember the countless amount of threads about this dating back to the Show '08, and the devs denied any such thing was in the game. But after playing it as much as I have for the past three years, I can tell you that the majority of games I lose, or leads that I blow, all happen with two outs and with my pitcher losing total command or effectiveness out of nowhere, random errors that don't make any sense, or the AI suddenly having an offensive explosion where they smash every pitch I throw at them, regardless of where I put it. That's just a simple fact, not saying there's any glitch or anything, it's just how this game has played for me.

I'd like to see it more balanced with two outs.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 6
I agree with all your points except the Batting. I personally like the batting in the MLB series. The R-Stick isn't a nuisance, since you flick it before the pitch, then you can put your thumb over to the face buttons easily enough. PLUS, I like how I can change my mind by flicking the R-Stick multiple times before the pitch.

I understand the feeling of 'randomness' sometimes, but it's probably spot on. An Example: I was batting and wanted to do a hit and run. I had a runner on first and RH Aaron Hill at the plate. I flicked the R-Stick to 5 o'clock position for a grounder to the right side. The runner took off, i swung and it was a HR down the LEFT Field Line! . TOTALLY random, right? BUT what happened was that 1) it was a changeup, so I was early and pulled it.. and 2) I got under the pitch a little, so it was lofted in the air.

The batting is realistic, yet still FUN. In BP, i decided to test out if I could 'inside-out' pitches to the opposite field. You can! I pulled the L-Stick inside and pushed the R-Stick to the opposite field. On a basic BP fastball. So I'm intentionally pulling my PCI / sweeet-spot of the bat 'inside' as if I'm doing it in real-life. That is the most realstic representation of hitting, I've played, and it is still FUN. IMO.

I agree with the sliding for sure. MVP 2005 had 100% user controlled slides to all the clock positions on the R-Stick. It's 'sort of' there on the basebaths, but they seem unresponsive. And at the plate, I don't know why there seems like we have no control there.... I don't know why MLB hasn't implemented it yet.

My only other point would be Pitching. I actually like the pitching in 2K10. It is also a fairly accurate representation of pitching on the mound. R-Stick, pull back then gesture forward in different directions according to the pitch type. It's kind of like how you have to change your execution from throwing a curveball vs a fastball in real-life. PLUS, pitching shouldn't be about hitting a bar on a meter - it should be about your body/arm gesture. With that said, I'm not opposed to a Swing Stick either. An option for it would be the way to go as opposed to changing the system altogether.

Still playing MLB10 and will, for a long time!

Last edited by cheechoo98; 09-07-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 3
Plays at the plate please! I'm sick of seeing the same slide and tag animation play out. These plays are supposed to be far more exciting
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 18

Nothing wrong with hitting. It is very realistic. Don't touch this.

The only game mechanics that are off are baserunning and stealing controls and I can't field this game. Too many times it will pick the wrong fielder and that drives me insane.

Autofielding, auto throwing, auto base running.

There are the 3 things that need work. MVP 2005 had those 3 things down pat.

Other than that the game is amazing (2009 player here).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »