Home

Madden NFL 11: The How and Why's of Hit Sticking

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11: The How and Why's of Hit Sticking within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL 11: The How and Why's of Hit Sticking

i think the graphics are better then madden 10 and so is the overall game play I was just playing madden 10 and i wish i was challenging this person on madden 11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
archibalduk commented above that there is no real explanation given as to what a "power" or "finesse" move does on defense. I think the biggest problem with defense on the current-gen consoles versus the PS2 generation is that they removed the entire gameplay mechanic on lineplay that allowed you to "push" guys or swim/spin in a certain direction. That's five different control options for jostling/lineplay alone!

"Push" was my favorite because it gave you a reason to play as a big, slow nose tackle. A powerful DT can disrupt blocking schemes and clear lanes for MLB's to make that tackle. If you look at Ray Lewis in the 3-4, he has almost had a Siragusa or Ngota type guy clearing paths for him to allow him to get to the ballcarrier.

But in recent Madden and NCAA games, you don't have that ability. You don't actually control power moves, and are left to basically lean to the left or right and hope the RB runs right into you. There's no sense of power or weight at all.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 11: The How and Why's of Hit Sticking

I remember there was a user on here years back that basically re-rated the every player and explained why point by point. By the end of it, the sim stats were scary accurate, and it played better gameplay wise as well. I have no idea how he had the time.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2
@rickmitchell22

I released a re-rated roster for Madden 04 PC, using an online editor (don't remember if it was finn's or not). It based strength purely on weight and speed and acceleration purely on 40 times. EVERYBODY's speed was brought to a narrower scope (74-85) and suddenly, outside running was possible, kick returns were possible, punt returns were possible, drafting hogs on the line actually made a difference, and WR/DB's got rocked when they got hit by a guy twice their size, but could at the same time dust em in the open field. It also made outstanding players stand out: when only 4 guys in the game had a speed over 85, those guys were dusting everybody! When only a handful of guys had strength above 75, they could slice through opponents, D/OL's like a hot knife through butter.

Problem 1 is the game's engine, which requires 20+ ratings because every interaction relies on motion captured animations (hence, no gang tackles). Back when I re-rated, there was no hit power rating, but in order to add variety for hitstick animations, they had to add it. Simply put, the game is so reliant on such a wide variety of ratings to fuel various motion captured animations, that re-rating players would not help; instead, they must adopt a physics-based engine like NBA Elite, NHL, and Backbreaker.

Problem 2: EA's # 1 concern is sales, period, not accurate player interactions or depictions. The hot player of the week, the player overhyped b/c he has a colorful personality (i.e. Tim Duncan complex) or guy on all the commercial endorsements will get better ratings just for the fact that he is a more visible, marketable player and can be pushed by EA easier than a nobody with more raw ability. Ex. Antonio Gates, Troy P, and OchoCinco will get high ratings (regardless of their raw performance) just for the fact that they are better known than some bench player who may have more strength, speed, accel, hit power, etc. So long as marketability drives Madden, be ready for mis-rated players. This has been emblematic since 07.

I have since moved on from madden (I tried madden 09 and wasn't thrilled and got snookered into madden 10 and lost all hope), but really hope that they someday return to the glory days of Madden 04-05, because madden is w/o question the best looking game out. I highly doubt it though; the Maddens now simply appear to be "expansion packs" of the previous year's version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »