Home

Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 30
Re: Madden NFL 11: Ian Cummings Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicio10
Does Ian not realize that the kick returning stats balance out because you either get stopped at the 15 or you break it to the house. You barely see much variety in kick return outcomes.
Great point
Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
It is always interesting that no questions are asked about the Presentation....Come on OS.

And Ian seems to tap dance around the questions: In regards to broken tackles " Again, that is something we are trying to tune and see if we can make it any better -- if it warrants it. We are just always listening to the community and the hot-button issues, and we go from there"

If they were listening to the community, I believe we would have a much better game than what we are playing....
I get the feeling the interviewer was focusing more on things that could be patched, gameplay wise. That's how I feel, right now, myself. Presentation only goes so far in EA games, especially. They need to figure out how to lessen the repetitiveness of their cutscenes and such for next year but there are a few things in this year's presentation that needs to be patched like the challenge cutscenes that may or may not play or even play all the way through. I like the Jeopardy music and the anticipation of the call but it doesn't always happen nor does the split screen of the coaches. They also need to patch the Gatorade two min warning screen. It will cut right into the end of a play that happens to end around the 2min warning. There's more that could be fixed with a patch but I'll leave it there. I need my gameplay fixed, this year, more than anything.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #35
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I get the feeling the interviewer was focusing more on things that could be patched, gameplay wise. That's how I feel, right now, myself. Presentation only goes so far in EA games, especially. They need to figure out how to lessen the repetitiveness of their cutscenes and such for next year but there are a few things in this year's presentation that needs to be patched like the challenge cutscenes that may or may not play or even play all the way through. I like the Jeopardy music and the anticipation of the call but it doesn't always happen nor does the split screen of the coaches. They also need to patch the Gatorade two min warning screen. It will cut right into the end of a play that happens to end around the 2min warning. There's more that could be fixed with a patch but I'll leave it there. I need my gameplay fixed, this year, more than anything.
True Indeed. But they have a lot of fixing to do! lol And unfortunately we are still waiting for these fixes year after year lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1
Nice interview. Glad you guys asked him some questions about the games o vs d balance issues, as well as blocking.

As expected, locomotion is the main issue with the defense right now. So here's hoping they find a way to fix it in the title update. My 2cents is that the defense, esspecially LB's, need to have some anticipation about where they need to move. They make their cuts too late. And by then, you're 10 yards down field.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1
i dont understand peoples problems with the kick blocking and punt blocking... in my franchise the 6 games ive played i have returned 1 punt for a td and a kick for a td which is pretty normal it doesnt happen all the team but when it does its sweet. Also on online play with the coop ive returned many upon many for TD's and thats the best feeling when it happens now not like o look theres an easy hole on the right side.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers718
i dont understand peoples problems with the kick blocking and punt blocking... in my franchise the 6 games ive played i have returned 1 punt for a td and a kick for a td which is pretty normal it doesnt happen all the team but when it does its sweet. Also on online play with the coop ive returned many upon many for TD's and thats the best feeling when it happens now not like o look theres an easy hole on the right side.
You are not understanding what the issue is. THe issue is not the frequency of how often you return a TD. Take a look at the other players on specials that you aren't controlling. There is ZERO realistic blocking attempts. It looks and behaves horribly. No one said it was impossible to return kicks for TDs. That has nothing to do with it. If you look at the blocking on the line and compare it to specials or interception returns, it's like a totally different group of programmers wrote the code.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 9
OS: Yeah, I noticed in the open field that guys are breaking tackles and wide receivers are breaking tackles more often than not. And not only that, they are breaking them to the house after they wiggle free.

Ian: Yeah, a lot of that comes from the ratings differentiation that we have. We make our guys spread out a lot more so that defensive backs tackling ratings are pretty low. They are not good tacklers for the most part so you’ve got to kind of try and swarm around the ball. Again, that is something we are trying to tune and see if we can make it any better -- if it warrants it. We are just always listening to the community and the hot-button issues, and we go from there.

LiquorLogic : the lack of consecutive hit tackles limits the CBs ability to swarm the ball carrier. Unless the Pro-Tak initiates, only two players are allowed to participate in the animation.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 08-19-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
[b]

The "if it warrants it" response to the tackle issue kinda has me scratching my head? If it warrants it?

And it's not just defensive backs that are getting shook off. I've seen smaller finesse back hit square in the hole by defensive linemen and 250lb linebackers who get brushed aside.
This. It's not just low tackle rating DB's that get shedded, it's players like Patrick Willis who get their tackles shedded by the 3rd WR.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »