Home

Projecting Stephen Strasburg's Career with MLB 2K10

This is a discussion on Projecting Stephen Strasburg's Career with MLB 2K10 within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Pro

GOBLUE_08's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vln13
I don't trust 2k10, so I did my own simulation for the next few years with MLB 10 the show.

2010: Strasburg finishes off a strong rookie year with a 9-5 record, 2.89 ERA, and 130 strikouts in 100 innings. Yankees win World Series against the Reds.

2011: Though Steve is strong, Nats fail to live up to their end. 11-12, 3.04 ERA, 210 strikouts. Cardinals defeat Red Sox in World Series. Nats in 4th place in NL East.

2012: The world ends as the Mayans predicted - the Nats make the World Series! They loose to the Yankees, though. Their ace, Strassburg, has a decent but unspectacular year, but gives hope to a team in 1st place for a good part of the year and wins a Wild Card berth. Strassburg is 12-7, 3.51 ERA, 220 strikouts in the regular season, but 4-2 with 2.83 ERA and 47 strikouts in 41 innings in the postseason.

2013: The Nationals return to Earth with a .500 season, and end in 4th place. Strassburg is 12-11, 3.10 ERA, 220 strikouts. Red Sox win it all against the Braves in the fall classic.
Numbers look about the same to me lol, i bet if you put him on another team though his wins would increase by 3 or 4 games.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBLUE_08
Numbers look about the same to me lol, i bet if you put him on another team though his wins would increase by 3 or 4 games.
I wouldn't be to sure about that. 2012 stats are similar, yes, but the other years? Though he's a strikeout genius, he can't get his ERA under 4. Besides, the Nats don't get the World Series that fast in the 2k10 simulation. Completely different.

The two common factors appear to be these:

1. Strasburg is a strikeout master. Can put together 200+ strikeouts with ease.
2. He is a team leader, a cornerstone for Washington fans, and can perform in the clutch, especially the post-season.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1
You have to think, as a team, the Nats are going to be in NL East top 2 in 3-5 years if they stay he course. They picked two great, albeit expensive, years to have the No. 1 pick (Stras and Bryce Harper, who batted .443 with 31 HRs and 98 RBI in college... in a wood bat league). They'll be fighting the Braves for some years to come. No slight to Philly and the Mets. The Phillies are getting long in the tooth, and the Mets' future seems questionable at best. Also, the Marlins just won't (or won't be able to) pay for top talent.

Perhaps more importantly for the franchise, they'll likely turn a good-sized chunk of Orioles fans. More fans = more revenue = more talent.

Stras will be better than this. Not that it's a huge deal (really cool idea to do this projection, actually), but with as nasty as his stuff already is, how carefully the Nats are bringing him along, and the stockade of young talent Washington's putting together, he'll get more W's. A ballpark career guess: 262-188.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
Rookie

Beastly Wayz's Arena

OVR: 15
well with Strasburg being a Strikeout Artist. Typically Pitchers who are Strike out Pitchers tend to have higher ERA in lieu to throwing a faster ball ( which means if contact is made, ball will carry further ) It's not Rocket science guys......
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #21
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Projecting Stephen Strasburg's Career with MLB 2K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast0627
well with Strasburg being a Strikeout Artist. Typically Pitchers who are Strike out Pitchers tend to have higher ERA in lieu to throwing a faster ball ( which means if contact is made, ball will carry further ) It's not Rocket science guys......
Actually a ball that is traveling 95 MPH is only to go 10 feet further than a ball traveling 90 MPH. Whereas if you increase your bat speed 5 MPH, the ball will carry 25 feet further. It was on Sport Science so that's the only way I know that.
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #22
MVP

jack1535's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
Actually a ball that is traveling 95 MPH is only to go 10 feet further than a ball traveling 90 MPH. Whereas if you increase your bat speed 5 MPH, the ball will carry 25 feet further. It was on Sport Science so that's the only way I know that.
Yeah and a ball 99 MPH pitch is going to go about 20 feet farther than a 90 MPH pitch.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
Pro

goalie's Arena

OVR: 29
just a quick thought... that's a TON of decisions...

seems like more than most pitchers would get the way baseball is played now...
Old 08-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #24
Pro

ferriscj24's Arena

OVR: 12
I would love the same Sim to be done on MLB 10 The Show. I think we would see very interesting results. 2K is just a terrible series that can't hold a candle to The Show.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »