Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #201
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Backbreaker Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
You realize that's all opinion, right? Just like a review is all opinion.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. BUT as a reviewer you have to be open and fair and represents the wider audience. You may not personally like some aspects but you have look at it from another to see if others might. This reviewer took his own personal expectations of the game into the review and got upset when they weren't met. Which is obvious when you look at the average user review.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #202
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

It's amazing how people are all over the reviewer. I just don't understand how some of you guys are so upset and saying he has no idea what he's talking about. It's his opinion! You have yours! If you have a problem with it write your own blog review and move on. I just don't get it...

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #203
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
This is the review summed up in a nutshell. The poor guy does not know how to play the game. NONE of the reviewers on ANY of the gaming sites knows how to play the game.
Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, there simply isn't enough there to make them want to learn the game?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #204
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, there simply isn't enough there to make them want to learn the game?

That's fine, SAY that. Don't besmirch the game however because you don't know how to play it. I have said myself the game is lacking in presentation, depth of playbooks, and the AI needs work. However, the game as designed plays a pretty good game of football once you learn how to play it.

I KNOW why I am throwing INT'S in BB. Its because I am throwing into double coverage or hurrying my throws and trying to force them to a covered man. In Madden I throw to a wide open man, only to see the defender WARP and intercept the ball or a LB super leap and snag it out the air.

Its a beautiful thing to play as safety and charge the LOS when you see a HB about to break free and your momentum nails him and causes him to go backward....or see him run you over. I can add on to a tackle in this game and effect how the play finishes. I can mount a pass rush with a 4 man line and not have to worry about the qb having FOREVER in the pocket for the zones to break down.

I actually HAVE to field the punts and kickoffs. That adds a dimension to special teams thats NOT in any other game. I dont have to watch the same canned animations playout over and over again and determine the failure or success of what I do.

I can play college, High school, NFL, XFL, Whatever league I want to create in this game.

So yeah, you and the reviewers can not like it for whatever reason but dont scream on the game because of lack of "user skill" Learn to play the game first.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #205
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
It's amazing how people are all over the reviewer. I just don't understand how some of you guys are so upset and saying he has no idea what he's talking about. It's his opinion! You have yours! If you have a problem with it write your own blog review and move on. I just don't get it...
Because it's OS's "official" review. It's going to be more noticeable/carry more weight than Joe Nobody's review or opinion. For a site that's supposedly all about sports gaming and doesn't appear compromised in the same way sites like IGN, TeamXBox, etc., it's a poorly written review imo. But given how the football games have been reviewed this gen on most sites including this one, this isn't that much of a surprise. As others have noted in the thread, the GameInformer review is actually more in depth and they gave it the same score. So it's not people just being "angry". I guess it's asking too much but I would've expected a site dedicated to sports gaming to take a broader approach in reviewing the game given the circumstances (exclusivity).

It's arguable this game has the single most important videogame football innovation that's occurred this generation in realtime physics. I personally can't think of a single significant innovation that Tiburon has brought to the table this generation myself, when pretty much every other sports game has done something of note. And this is on their first attempt at a football game. It should count for something if we want to see videogame football move forward, and not just to the point where we're overjoyed at the football games getting near/at a level they were 5yrs ago.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #206
All Star

Gibbz's Arena

OVR: 24
Even though the game has released and has turned out to be garbage the Backbreaker supporters are still angry if anyone calls it less than stellar.

A shocking turn of events.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #207
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrooks111
Even though the game has released and has turned out to be garbage the Backbreaker supporters are still angry if anyone calls it less than stellar.

That's silly statement, no one's saying the game is "stellar". But reviewing it [seemingly] from the perspective it needs to play like something else isn't the correct approach. And especially when that "something else" wasn't getting knocked nearly as hard for the same issues at the same stage in it's development. Either way, the BB devs weren't trying to make another Madden or NCAA; they can't make an NFL/NCAA game. That shouldn't be held against the game imo.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #208
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrooks111

I was a critic of the game before it was released, and during the first few days of the demo. After I learned how to play the thing, my opinion of it changed. No one is saying the game is the end all be all. Its however better than these reviews. How can you judge a games worth based on your inability to play it well ?

I will fault the Devs of the game for not including a better tutorial and a practice mode. The game needs it badly because it does have a big learning curve.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »