Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #193
Rookie

gridironjunky's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Backbreaker Review

I'm not gonna give my opinion on the review or the reviewer but I was wondering if anybody out there has experience excessive cheesing online like what was mentioned in the review? I have logged a great deal of online games now and I can honestly say that I have not seen much cheese at all. I ran into one guy who used the onside kick every time but once I figured out how to stop it I haven't had anybody try it on me again. With the exception of the fg block which can be countered, I haven't seen anybody with gaurenteed money plays or any exploits that have ruined online in so many other sports titles. He stated you'll get blitzed online, and that's true, beating the blitz is far from impossible and you can mount just as dangerous of a pass rush with just your d-line especially if the other user doesn't stand strong in the pocket. Has anybody out there experienced any excessive cheesers?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #194
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBorn1
Lol another Backbreaker review where it gets bashed just because the guy playing it sucked at it
Another rational at a poor BB rating.

I do not see what was wrong with the review nor why the skill level of the reviewer would even matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Wow, that was an atrocious review. And thus does OS's sports reviews spiral ever closer to IGN's sports games reviews. The game "failed to live up to the hype"? Who was hyping an unlicensed game other than users that wanted an alternative to what was currently available in Madden and NCAA? And that's ALL the game could be - an alternative. Yet the review is written by someone seemingly expecting the game to play like NCAA or Madden, of course without the many benefits those two games enjoy. It touches on none of the game's positive aspects - surprisingly other than customization, which I guess was important for the reviewer so he could remake the NFL or NCAA. IT'S NOT THE BACKBREAKER DEVS FAULT BB CAN'T BE AN NFL OR NCAA GAME - yet reviewers seem intent on holding that against the game.

Still shaking my head at the "fails to live up to the hype" lol
You really do not think BB had hype?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #195
Rookie

OVR: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh
Good review! Gameinformer gave it a 5..Impressive takling don't make a game..Gameinformer had the same complaint's...
I know man....I was impressed with the tackling animations, but I thought they were a bit too overdone (first attempt, I will give a pass) but the rest of the game (besides tackle alley) was horrible. Not realistic, the player models looked dumb, and I felt the gameplay was clunky.

I'm pretty sure the QB stat lines for the reviewer were coming from the computer, not him. The fumbles probably came from him, but not the INTs. I literally have never thrown a pick in this game, and I never will considering I will not play it again after renting. My QB stats, while good, were extremely conservative, and I can't see the reviewer being a terrible gamer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #196
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote from the review "On offense, passing the ball is easy right up until you throw interception after interception." Sounds like a user skill issue to me. Not everybody with the game is throwing interception after interception.

There were also an couple of other quotes that were pretty inaccurate based on what I have experienced, like the one in the same paragraph about every running play being a 5 yard loss or 50 run. Not sure if he was running outside runs all game or something, because I have had plenty of runs that don't fall into those two categories, and only a couple of runs here and there for anything close to a 5 yard loss.

Also as I said before the claim of cheese being rampant online is pretty meritless to me, considering I have played about 30 online games against mostly randoms and noticed the opposite. Not to mention even if he did expierence cheese, how can you rip Backbreaker for something that you find in every sports game?

Also the not being able to follow the ball on defense complaint sure seems like an individual issue to me because myself and many others with the game have no problem following the ball when on defense. Was he switching players on defense constantly or something?

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #197
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc

You really do not think BB had hype?
Hype from people on the boards, yes. But because some wanted the game to be a legitimate option to Madden/NCAA that shouldn't be held against it. The BB devs never said they were setting out to make the most realistic sim football game ever, or whatever standard this reviewer was holding the game to. In fact they said specifically that they were trying to do something different than had been done or was being done, they were trying to give gamers a different experience. Which in large part they succeeded in doing. No one's running around saying the OL/DL interaction needs to be scrapped, or that the WR/DB interaction is broken, etc. It's a first year title and many of it's issues are AI and balance related.

Hell, Madden had turnovers issues well into it's THIRD year - and they were mostly being brushed aside by reviewers. This is a poorly written review from a silly perspective, pure and simple. I don't mind the score, but at least be cognizant of the fact they were trying to do something different. That they HAD to do something different because of the exclusivity situation.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #198
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
It seems to me the reviewer just didn't learn how to play the game. "Surprisingly steep learning curve" says it all.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #199
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
It seems to me the reviewer just didn't learn how to play the game. "Surprisingly steep learning curve" says it all.
This is the review summed up in a nutshell. The poor guy does not know how to play the game. NONE of the reviewers on ANY of the gaming sites knows how to play the game.

When you talk to a guy who has built cars and one who has read about building cars you can immediately tell whose words carry more weight. ALL of the reviews reek of people who picked up the game and proceeded to try and play madden. You need at least a good week with this game just to become average with it. I think this is the problem most have with the game, its not pick up and play. However THAT ain't a game flaw, thats a human flaw. We all have to adjust to the speed and style of the game.

If going down that road of learning how to play the game is not for you, they yeah, I can perfectly understand you not liking it. However to have driven a Ferrari and say I dont like it because it goes to fast is not the cars fault. It was built to go fast. BB was not built to play like Madden. What they made works and works well within the scope of what they set out to accomplish. It needs some cleaning up , balance and polish, but what do you know, so do the other games.

Its amazing to me how year after year, the reviewers can put up with broken game play and broken promises from other games and rate them 8,9 but can hold utter disdain for a game that has brought something unique to the football gaming world.

This is a VERY playable 3rd person football game. It has "THE" best team creator on the planet. 2 ways to build up your team through 2 types of seasons. (Have you seen the detailed game analysis they give you after each game in RTBB ?) The running game is a thing of beauty(quit running full speed into the LOS and you will see that) A challenging passing system that once its learned is a LOT of fun. I know it ain't fun for you guys that think having 10 seconds in the pocket and being able to see all your WR's is the cornerstone of football.

This was a good first release and the game has a lot of upside to it if they patch it and give it the added features other games have.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #200
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
This is a VERY playable 3rd person football game. It has "THE" best team creator on the planet. 2 ways to build up your team through 2 types of seasons. (Have you seen the detailed game analysis they give you after each game in RTBB ?) The running game is a thing of beauty(quit running full speed into the LOS and you will see that) A challenging passing system that once its learned is a LOT of fun. I know it ain't fun for you guys that think having 10 seconds in the pocket and being able to see all your WR's is the cornerstone of football.
You realize that's all opinion, right? Just like a review is all opinion.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »