Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #137
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Backbreaker Review

I thought the review was straightforward and honest. I agreed with the assessment in all areas. To be honest, in my opinion and my opinion only, I think the game stinks. For all the same reasons the reviewer already stated.

Does it have potential? Heck yeah! But let's be honest...the developer has a million miles to go before they produce a football game that can even hope to compare to titles that we all know about. It has nothing to do with "it's a fiirst year effort." It has to do with the fact that the game stinks on the field, and about the only thing that is engrossing is some of the hits you'll see from time to time. Otherwise, I think it fails miserably in almost all areas from graphics to AI.

Customization holds alot of promise, but even that is restricted to a certain degree this year, especially in the ratings area.

Overall, I'd give the game a D grade. For those that love it, more power to you. But I do think it has let a lot of people down based on longtime (2+ years) hopes and wishes.

C
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #138
MVP

OVR: 9
I agree 100% with the review... I was so hype for this game and was very disappointed. One thing I would like to add is the sacks are very high also avg 10 a game.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #139
MVP

OVR: 19
The rational is that they pushed 2 new aspects different from the norm, and people bought it.

And since this is about football, let me try and "Break it down to a Fraction" my rational, as would call it.
If you've played at the college of pro level, you know each phase of the game is broken down into parts. What the "FAN" sees on Sat/Sun is parts brought together. Football is NOT the whole game, but Parts of a game that have been tweaked and tuned for hours/days so that the complete package can function as "It Should". You can't develope every phase of football at the same time, it's "Impossible".

To this point, we have seen games put out as a whole and every year there are complaints about an aspect of the game launched. If it's not presentation, it's gameplay or physics or affect of ratings in gameplay or the Offense or Defense etc...

My rational is that if you want "Realistic" football, each phase is going to need to be developed without rushing to next, otherwise the same circle of complaints will continue 5 yrs later.

Think of Backbreaker as the Wildcat offense that so many said couldn't work at the professional level. And once the right pieces were put togther, every team is looking to implement in some way (as Afrikan said "It's much more").

Natural Motion is that "P. Harvin or C. Johnson" that just needs a couple of other pieces to function optimaly.
My Rational is that by them focusing on developing phases of the game as all successful coaches do, their product will be successful faster than the one who tries to do it all at the impatience of the fan.

My rational is review the phase of football that they presented, because if it's not where it should be and they move on to another, they will become different version of Madden or flop all together.

There is alot of promise in this game that get's overshadow by impatient right now gamers.
We complained about EA for years, yet every year we still purchased.
Why is it all of a sudden different with a new developer?

Keep in mind also, these guy's are from Europe. American Football is not the #1,2 or 3 sport over there, but such low reviews don't reflect that.

I love what they put out so far, because it can only improve.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #140
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but....
Seriously I know it doesn't sit well to have a game "supposedly" in the making for 2 (or more) years come out and basically be mediocre at best, especially after all the "madden killer" and "Greatest game ever" posts.
But call a spade a spade... BB is a 5 MAYBE a 6 at best. It just isn't that good. I hope they make a new one next year and improve but no way this years version is a 7 or 8 (really? an 8??) out of 10.

IMO that is....

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #141
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but....
Seriously I know it doesn't sit well to have a game "supposedly" in the making for 2 (or more) years come out and basically be mediocre at best, especially after all the "madden killer" and "Greatest game ever" posts.
But call a spade a spade... BB is a 5 MAYBE a 6 at best. It just isn't that good. I hope they make a new one next year and improve but no way this years version is a 7 or 8 (really? an 8??) out of 10.

IMO that is....

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but IMO I don't think this game is better than a 5 when you take away the tackling animations and the ability to edit teams.

That's not worth $25 IMO let alone $50.......i was hyped up for this game because of the editing ability.

I thought I could create all kinds of players and fully rate them myself, assign my gear and tone down their body size depending on position.

I was very dissapointed after reading through the impressions thread.

Then I decided to rent this game and give it a chance but for 4 days i kept getting getting upset with the gameplay overall on the field.

I don't think this game is better than a 5 when you take away tackle animations and the ability to edit teams. That's not worth $25 IMO let alone $50

Hopefully the 2nd effort will be better than the 1st effort for this company down the road.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 06-09-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #142
Pro

OVR: 11
Smile Re: Backbreaker Review

it's just one person's view..not all of op sports. If you had one of the BB players doing the review and they gave it a 9.the "other" people would be up in arms! Lol! NP...Guys that like it enjoy...guys that do not..the other is always there. For the ones who do like it (including myself) there will be a BB2 so keep playin and have fun! But once that NFL license is open (wishful thinking i know) mindsets change!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #143
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It has nothing to do with people trying to play the game like it's Madden or NFL2k, the computer AI is horrible. People on here like to say that if you don't like the game then it's because you're not good but that's really not the case, once you get used to the stupid things that the camera does the game is very easy since the computer will either give the ball right back to you as soon as it gets it or keep losing yards on every play.
don't pretend you have the game man. If you did and started a league a put yourself in the middle of the pack you'd be losing games.

Which brings me to the review. I didn't read half of it, because it wasn't worth reading. If you don't give a game a chance at all and play it for like 2 minutes, you have no business writing a review. Many of the problems I did see in the review wouldn't come from anyone who's spend a decent amount of time with the game (enough time to warrant writing a review).

I don't care about the score, I don't even really care a lot about the OS review in general, but the text was laughable. There's other comments in here I could argue with, but I won't bother. User reviews/ratings in general are rather favourable for backbreaker, sure there's people that can't stand it too, but it's a polarizing game.

What I can't imagine is someone who loves "my players" modes thinking this game is trash. It's built around that entire concept and plays better and provides a better experience than any of those other games so far.

Last edited by allBthere; 06-09-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #144
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

I guess all the reviewers are smoking something. What gets me is if people are enjoying the game despite the deep flaws, then that is all that matters. But it is getting kind of ridiculous with the bickering that some guys don't see any of the issues with the game.

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 06-09-2010 at 11:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »