Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #105
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Backbreaker Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
I doubt they patch this game..
A patch would be nice but there may be other solutions as well. People are already seeing great results tweeking the ratings using finn's editor. Hopefully this is what happened with 2k5 all over again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #106
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
I doubt they patch this game..
why would you say that?

*reads signature*

oh.....*smiles* , that's cute.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #107
MVP

OVR: 14

First iteration of a new IP using new animation technology, I'll excuse the flaws with the understanding that most of the development time went into the technology. Even with all the development time you can tell the technology still needs work, I'm Impressed that they even got a playable game of football in there, some developers said it wasn't even possible. Label it a tech demo if you must but it has enough features and plays a decent enough if flawed version of football to warrant my $50, I can't wait for BB2. If BB4 has the same issues, then I'll make no excuses.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #108
MVP

OVR: 19
What people fail to understand is that the "ONLY" two elements they wanted to push was:

1) Natural Motion
2) Customizaion (to show you don't need an NFL contract; notice how only "Uni's/Logos" are editable? )

Go back an review all the vid's and info by the Dev team, and you will see that these were the only 2 things they wanted to push during this release.

The mentioned things about the camera view, ratings etc... but always went back to these 2 area's because this was what they were selling. Go back and review!!!

As far as some of the other stuff people are mentioning pertaining to why they didn't like or rated the game so poorly is outside the scope of the intentions of their first game.

These are the 2 things they hammered on constantly.
Natural Motion is physics never seen in any other football game.
Custamization (spits into the face of the "Exclusive" agreements that forced competitors out).

So any review should be based only on these 2 functions of the game.
Did you like/dislike Natural Motion compared to the physics of current football games? Why/why not
Did Customization help to deal with the want of an NFL product? Why/why not

To me, the game gets high scores base off the 2 features they put a the forefront of the game.
Now they can introduce other area's.

If you really think about it, this is really smart because other's have tried to introduce a game in whole, without showcasing what was different from other football games. Thus, gamer's didn't see much innovation that seperated them from the "GIANT". But Backbreaker showcases it's innovation by trying to put focus on the game's foundation (Natural Motion and Customizaion). It's just we are used to a football game being presented to us in whole vs in parts.

I've had to "slow my role" with picking this game apart, to remember that this is their "1st" game.
Even 2k made a couple of games before 2k5.
Gameday and Gamebreaker had their time.
I've given up on Madden!!!!

Give them some space and let them do their thang!!!
Loved making College Teams on Backbreaker (if they allow college type playbooks, man!!!)
Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #109
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

The problem with your argument is people and reviewers expect a football game.

"So any review should be based only on these 2 functions of the game."

Just wow.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #110
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Probably for the same reason that the flaws people in excuse in this game would never be accepted in a Madden game, people have given excuses for everything that is criticized in Backbreaker.
Most of the things people complain about in Madden have been there for years. Madden was first released in 1989. They have had 20 years to fix problems. This is BB first release. Lets revisit you comment when BB21 releases if you want to be fair. Also the budgets to develop the two titles I am sure were extremely different.

EDIT: I have stated the review score is fair. The game has huge flaws. I wish it would have been polished way more. That being said I enjoy the game.

Last edited by mbmonk; 06-09-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #111
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
Most of the things people complain about in Madden have been there for years. Madden was first released in 1989. They have had 20 years to fix problems. This is BB first release. Lets revisit you comment when BB21 releases if you want to be fair. Also the budgets to develop the two titles I am sure were extremely different.

EDIT: I have stated the review score is fair. The game has huge flaws. I wish it would have been polished way more. That being said I enjoy the game.

I can't cut them any slack for this being their first game. I love the game and think it was worth my $50, but at the same time you have to review what is produced and what they shipped doesn't justify above a 6 in my opinion.

But it does deserve to have what it does right highlighted and that has been the problem with alot of reviews. The natural motion is a huge leap forward, EA knows its the future because it is putting real time physics in their hockey game and madden is trying to emulate it as best as possible with their two stick system, which as anyone who has played NHL knows is right up there with the Show as one of the two best video game representations of a sport ever. The customization is unlike anything we have seen in sports outside Pro Evo. Those are two huge wins for such a small development team in their first showing.

But at the same time they chose to enter the football gaming market and you have to judge their offering as a football game.

Right now there are glaring AI probelms, but as I stated earlier it does sound like there is potential to fix those to some extent without a patch. I know I am enjoying it and can only hope that the community or the devs can help fix some of the problems without us having to wait for backbreaker 2.

Last edited by Dogslax41; 06-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #112
Banned

OVR: 7

i really dont think some of yall know what the euphoria is . its not just physx its live animations that play out different every play. hit,tackles,etc. its dang cool. a

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »