Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Backbreaker Review

I am glad that I own the game, and doubly happy that I am enjoying it. If I waited for this review, I would have passed on it.

Ground rules really help when playing against the CPU AI (In every sports game, especially this one.) I have won games by blowing out the CPU, lost big to the CPU, and close games have been won/lost by the CPU. I never switch on defense, and I always ask the coach.

Is the game the end all, be all of Football games? Hardly. But, it's definitely not trash. The variety of plays that I have seen so far, are alone worth the price of admission.

Those of us who own the game all know the two BIG problems with it. Turnovers and Sacks. But, what this game does well makes me live with those problems. If those two things will ruin the game for you, then don't buy the game. If you think you would enjoy seeing realistic physics, and never seeing the same play twice, then proceed to purchase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
If I'm not mistaken,2k8 got reviewed pretty badly,like 6-7 on average,and many people really enjoyed it,much more than the other game that year that got very good reviews and that game was awful.

I just hope people take the time to make their own opinion.This game does need alot of patience though,which most people don't have.
its not even the # scores...but just the content in these reviews that disappointment me.

Less realistic than Blitz? Jesus H Christ...my god!

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but just wow.

I can't believe this was passed forward and allowed to represent this website I have followed for many many years.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #83
Banned

OVR: 12
While Ive gone 2-15 early on in this game I have also gone 21-25, after learning a few things.
Lets not kid ourselves, theres a reason the average mag review is like 4 of 10, and the average fan review is like 7.
Sport gamers are diggen this game, the status-quo hates it, cause its a threat.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #84
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
Very disappointed in OperationSports for allowing a review like this.... edit- I'm talking about the head editor.

OS BackBreaker reviewer -
"I say that because the gameplay in Backbreaker is its biggest downfall by far. It does not even feel as realistic as an old NFL Blitz title."

I mean really?

its not about it deserving a high score or a bad score or what ever....but I don't know how anyone can take a review from a professional sports videogame site like OS has been viewed as, serious when one of their reviewers says something like this.....seems like someone is reaching.

but enjoy the hits I guess.
Seriously?Come on, this review is ridiculous! No, it is not an 8,9 or a 10 but it is a solid 6-7 at least. Anyone who complains about throwing to many interceptions ( i have done this myself) hasn't learned to read the defenses, take a sack when appropriate, run with the ball or simply throw it away! I am still learning this but it is the most rewarding game when you make big pass plays or break a nice run unlike any other football game to date.

Playing defense never felt more like playing defense. The camera view is almost perfect for playing defense. It truly puts you on the field and in the play. I wish i had more control but that is the way it is for round one.

How about special teams! Running down to smash the returner is not fun? trying to judge catching the punt or kick is not fun? Turning off the arrow when kicking and using the camera to set your aim up is not fun? Really? Really? No other football game puts you IN the game like Backbreaker does. To compare it to be Blitz and to say it is even inferior to that is just a joke to me. I couldn't even play that game for 1 qtr!

If you don't like it then fine each to their own but to write a review based on the FACT that you can't play the game is just absurd IMO!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #85
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
People try to play this game as if it's Madden or 2k. That doesn't work. You have to learn how to play THIS game. So some reviewers tried to play it like Madden and they sucked at it.. then went to write up a review.

The people who actually tried to learn how to play this new game ( and not just apply their Madden logic), saw a different game than the above people.

But at the end of the day BB has major problems. And as great as the game is, it just wasn't ready for release in it's current state. It needed much more polish. So it's hard to give this game a great score from a review standpoint.
Ill agree with this. I would have given it a 7 though for what it does right. It does need the AI play calling and clock management worked on. The Ai is strange in this game. There are times it will mount a good drive on you, but the rest of the time its hit or miss.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #86
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmonk
People try to play this game as if it's Madden or 2k. That doesn't work. You have to learn how to play THIS game. So some reviewers tried to play it like Madden and they sucked at it.. then went to write up a review.

The people who actually tried to learn how to play this new game ( and not just apply their Madden logic), saw a different game than the above people.

But at the end of the day BB has major problems. And as great as the game is, it just wasn't ready for release in it's current state. It needed much more polish. So it's hard to give this game a great score from a review standpoint.
It has nothing to do with people trying to play the game like it's Madden or NFL2k, the computer AI is horrible. People on here like to say that if you don't like the game then it's because you're not good but that's really not the case, once you get used to the stupid things that the camera does the game is very easy since the computer will either give the ball right back to you as soon as it gets it or keep losing yards on every play.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #87
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
maybe you can clarify this sentence more.....um, what tech demo are you talking about? and when did people go crazy?

for a second there I thought the head editor of OS, was referring to this game as a tech demo...lol.

maybe I'm misunderstood what you were referring to there.
The game was originally shown as a tech demo for the physics technology Natural Motion was showing off.

I'm not saying the game they released now is equivalent to a tech demo.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #88
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyland
While Ive gone 2-15 early on in this game I have also gone 21-25, after learning a few things.
Lets not kid ourselves, theres a reason the average mag review is like 4 of 10, and the average fan review is like 7.
Sport gamers are diggen this game, the status-quo hates it, cause its a threat.
that is sooo true.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »