Home

MLB 10: The Show Simulates the 2010 Season

This is a discussion on MLB 10: The Show Simulates the 2010 Season within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 10: The Show Simulates the 2010 Season

I see a lot of guys participate in fantasy drafts, play 30-team franchises, make trades, make their own roster transactions, create their own players, make their own lineups and rotations, use their personnel differently, and let their "fantasy" virtual season unfold with the CPU....but then they complain if a simulated season slightly differs from what they might be accustomed to.

Is it that big of a deal? I don't think so. We're already playing in a fantasy world. What's the point of playing if in your baseball season in The Show will always be the Yanks/Red Sox/Twins/Angels making the playoffs every year like in real life?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 60

It doesn't make any sense to debate this. They do another sim, different results all together. I'm playing my season and simming all the other teams games, different results. Heck, Pittsburgh is in second place in the Central. People should just take it for what it's worth...fun and some randomness built in. Heck, even Freddy Sanchez could win a batting title in this game.....oh, wait, he actually did win one.

Last edited by jim416; 05-29-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #27
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanten
Taken a look at their record lately?

I know, trust me.
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars
Old 05-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #28
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
Oakland 50-112 and the Whitesox winning the Central will not happen
Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
First, while it's historically very rare for any team to lose over 110 games, that really doesn't prevent it from ever happening. In fact, last year 5 teams lost 97+ games, and the Pirates were only a loss away from making it two 100+ loss teams. +/- 10 games isn't much. However, I agree--and point out in the article--that that aspect of the simulation doesn't seem likely to happen.

And yes, when we do these sims, we only do it once and then write about them as if it were the actual season. I wouldn't call it pointless, though it is primarily for fun. The question regarding statistical accuracy is essentially for discussion, though one would hope that in any game even one simulation would generate relatively realistic results.

I'm ok with these results; they aren't perfect and, as you and I point out, there are some issues. As you also point out, you could do the same thing at home, and post your results. You could also sim the season 100 times and post the aggregates too, if you want to do it that way. I think most people would welcome that data to the discussion.
I agree with most of what you said, except for the +/- 10 games not meaning much. A 10 game swing is a HUGE difference. In any case, I was responding to the guy who implied that I was off my rocker for saying that the results are unrealistic. I think I have a legit case.

But anyways yeah these are just sim results and it's useless to debate them further. I'd take real life results anyday, as my A's are definitely doing better than their 50-112 prediction
Old 05-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #30
King Bundy

MizzyMike05's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
It doesn't make any sense to debate this. They do another sim, different results all together. I'm playing my season and simming all the other teams games, different results. Heck, Pittsburgh is in second place in the Central. People should just take it for what it's worth...fun and some randomness built in. Heck, even Freddy Sanchez could win a batting title in this game.....oh, wait, he actually did win one.
lol freddy sanchez did win a batting title. can't believe a club foot kid pretty much not drafted won a batting title for the terrible pirates. something that is going to go overlooked for the rest of baseball history. i think he batted .344 that season. sorry for going off topic, not often do i get to talk about freddy sanchez's batting title lol

Crosby vs. Ovechkin (Blog)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #31
Staff Writer

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnngld
I agree with most of what you said, except for the +/- 10 games not meaning much. A 10 game swing is a HUGE difference. In any case, I was responding to the guy who implied that I was off my rocker for saying that the results are unrealistic. I think I have a legit case.

But anyways yeah these are just sim results and it's useless to debate them further. I'd take real life results anyday, as my A's are definitely doing better than their 50-112 prediction
I guess 10 games is more significant than my post implies. It would really come down to one run wins/losses.

Anyway, I too think that your A's will do better...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
First, while it's historically very rare for any team to lose over 110 games, that really doesn't prevent it from ever happening. In fact, last year 5 teams lost 97+ games, and the Pirates were only a loss away from making it two 100+ loss teams. +/- 10 games isn't much. However, I agree--and point out in the article--that that aspect of the simulation doesn't seem likely to happen.

And yes, when we do these sims, we only do it once and then write about them as if it were the actual season. I wouldn't call it pointless, though it is primarily for fun. The question regarding statistical accuracy is essentially for discussion, though one would hope that in any game even one simulation would generate relatively realistic results.

I'm ok with these results; they aren't perfect and, as you and I point out, there are some issues. As you also point out, you could do the same thing at home, and post your results. You could also sim the season 100 times and post the aggregates too, if you want to do it that way. I think most people would welcome that data to the discussion.
SO THE SIM IS NOT A GOOD SIM CAUSE A TEAM LOST MORE THAN 110, and that doesn't happen often... So you trying to tell me that if the cubs won the world series in this sim the sim would have been all messed up huh?? Wild stuff happen in baseball every year this sim is way better than 2k10 sim

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »