Home

Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360)

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #273
Banned

OVR: 15
re: Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360)

its out for XBLA right now and supposed to be coming to PSN. and yes I believe there is some sort of coach mode. Although if you are looking for a game to play coach mode in, this probably isnt it. All about the twitchy gameplay baby.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #274
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears_16_and_0
the hitting recievers in stride thing. For the most part it isnt going to happen... I dont know all the ins and outs because i never had a nintendo or a SNES, but I did play the NES game on an emulator at work a lot, oh and I guess I had the DS game too. This is definitely different from the NES game, as people have said, I rarely see a long pass to an open reciever in stride. I dont know if its random or what. And yes these are on fly patterns.
Yeah I make pretty good reads, but my QB consistently throws the ball short into coverage and not over their head. It's a tough adjustment to make for me. I'm used to hitting the open guy deep and really making my opponent pay. That can still happen, but it's definitely not automatic like in the NES version. This game really puts a clamp on deep passes.

Don't get me wrong, I've made some gorgeous deep throws, I just can't make them every single time a guy guesses run and I have a deep pass called. That's probably a good thing. I need to learn to be willing to lob deep bombs into coverage to a good WR being covered by a linebacker.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 05-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #275
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdevin
Is there an option to watch the computer play? Also, if there is a coach mode how does it play? Is it similar to All Pro's coach mode. Last Q, what system is this game for. Thanks for the help
IF the menus are similar or the same as back then, yes. On the same screen where you set control for all the teams (they all start on SKP which skips the entire game if two SKP's play each other), you can set them to COM which will actually show that team's games. If you wanted, you could watch every game from the entire season like that.

Coach mode is also set from the team control menu, and it means you only call the plays and the CPU carries them out. So basically, the only control you have of the game is on the play select screen.

PS3/360

Again, that's all based on the old game - I don't have Throwback so I can't say whether it's exactly the same.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-02-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #276
Banned

OVR: 62

I had forgotten how much fun Dan Marino was in this game.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #277
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Deep passes in stride are possible you have to wait until the receiver is off the screen though.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #278
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Oh yeah, I'm also up to 22 sacks in 9 games with "Robert Bonner" at Middle Linebacker, and I also have 13 safeties! I have the #1 defense and the #23 offense. My offensive game sucks now.
I didn't play casual, but I did try it out, and I think the difficulty is the same, you just get to play more than one team on casual and can do coach/com on all 32 teams. The game definitely gets harder the further you progress in the season. I lost the championship game on my season mode 21-28 against Buffalo due to 2 fumbles. Something that's completely out of the gamers control. The randomness is what makes it football though!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #279
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
IF the menus are similar or the same as back then, yes. On the same screen where you set control for all the teams (they all start on SKP which skips the entire game if two SKP's play each other), you can set them to COM which will actually show that team's games. If you wanted, you could watch every game from the entire season like that.

Coach mode is also set from the team control menu, and it means you only call the plays and the CPU carries them out. So basically, the only control you have of the game is on the play select screen.

PS3/360

Again, that's all based on the old game - I don't have Throwback so I can't say whether it's exactly the same.
The ability to select multiple teams is only available in Single Player - Casual mode.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #280
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

For the guys playing games against each other (Player Games, not ranked). Have you seen injuries in the game? I know injuries are turned off in ranked games, but I'm not sure about player games. Were you able to use a custom play book in your player games?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »