Home

Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360)

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #225
Rookie

OVR: 1
re: Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360)

So for the people that are editing the rosters, are you putting in the current rosters or are you going with the original 1993 rosters? I can't decide which one I want to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #226
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I just had a legendary game. I just won 3-2 using PIT against an Eagles user. He dominated the game. I had 1 sliding user INT at the 1 yard line with Carnell Lake in the first half. In the 2nd half he misses a FG from about 40 yards out. In the 4th quarter he throws a pass over the middle on 4th and 9 to his wide open TE who DROPS IT!

I had my fair share of bad breaks. His safety was a sick user outside manual rush that nailed me with a NASTY slide.

He was a good player... ranked just below me at the 24 slot on the leaderboards. It was a classic game that had me constantly just saying "wow"! For some reason, I always have these legendary games in Tecmo. I don't know how they ever made this simple game so compelling, but they did.
What you just wrote is the exact reason why Tecmo Bowl is the single greatest football game ever made! The game is so simple yet so compelling and exciting, it really keeps you coming back for more. It's like your favorite movie (Scarface for me), that you can watch over and over again and never get tired of. Madden no matter the technical superiority never gave me the fun, excitement, and competitive challenge I get from Tecmo Bowl.The fun I have playing a game is how I measure the greatness of a title and Throwback has that in spades. Tecmo Bowl is the game of Legends!!!

Last edited by rm217; 04-30-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #227
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHuskers
With USB support now....is there a way to share the rosters?
Good question. I'll look for some sort of roster file on my HDD. If I find it, I'll e-mail it to you or something. It looks AWESOME with the real names in there. Even when you look at singleplayer leaderboards for other people's seasons - your real names show up! People are ripping it up with Emmitt at HB and Jerry at WR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic21
So for the people that are editing the rosters, are you putting in the current rosters or are you going with the original 1993 rosters? I can't decide which one I want to do.
Do the original 1993 rosters. They are exactly the same. Use this link and fill the names in the exact order. I can do a team in just under 10 minutes so it's not THAT bad.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/588774/41237

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm217
What you just wrote is the exact reason why Tecmo Bowl is the single greatest football game ever made! The game is so simple yet so compelling and exciting, it really keeps you coming back for more. It's like your favorite movie (Scarface for me), that you can watch over and over again and never get tired of. Madden no matter the technical superiority never gave me the fun, excitement, and competitive challenge I get from Tecmo Bowl.The fun I have playing a game is how I measure the greatness of a title and Throwback has that in spades. Tecmo Bowl is the game of Legends!!!
Agreed. I think this game's simplicity and natural balance due to the play guessing mechanic is what makes it so good. It's kind of like a good card game... the formula is just right. With 8 plays to choose from there's a good balance for guessing the play. That Eagles user was GOOD and he out-gained me at least 2 to 1 on offense. I just forced 3 INT's out of him and got off 1 big pass play which ended up being enough. It was a trademark, gritty Tecmo Steelers-style win.

The play guessing mechanic also takes away from plays seeming too good because you can simply guess it. Also, I like the fact that you cannot switch players during a play. This forces users to really decide and commit to a certain action on a play. Are you going to bump your DL as an ILB to add to the pass rush? Are you going to simply cover and maybe allow the QB to run a bit? Are you going to rush the QB and hope that a deep WR isn't wide open? The repercussions are great. When you bump into a DL and fall over... that's a huge opportunity for the offense.

Also, Tecmo is just wacky and random enough to make it feel like you can literally score on any given play. I love that feeling. It makes me excited to guess the next play, regardless of the circumstances I find myself in. Some of the newer "sim" style games are more predictable and leave you with no hope at a certain point in the game. Really, until the clock reads 0:00's in Tecmo there's still hope!

Here's a good tip for everyone: This game has it's own version of a kneel = the "dive" play. If you're playing someone and let's say you need to run 20 seconds off the clock in 3 downs you can simply just run the dive play a few times. I know it's pretty easy to just call a pass, wait, then run out of bounds... but this presents no risk at all which is nice. There's 0 chance for a fumble or INT.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #228
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Well after 2 games online, I'm already tired of the NT dive. I also forgot how slow the Raiders RBs were in this game.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #229
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Well after 2 games online, I'm already tired of the NT dive. I also forgot how slow the Raiders RBs were in this game.
Your 4th string WR is the fastest in the game, but his hands are garbage.

I've only ran into 1 NG diver fortunately...

Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #230
MVP

OVR: 27

My passing game is dead now. I can't run because my backs are terrible. I'm winning nail-biters with defense. I like that
Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #231
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
My passing game is dead now. I can't run because my backs are terrible. I'm winning nail-biters with defense. I like that
Did you choose "competitive" mode for your season so it reports to the leaderboards? I'll keep an eye out for your season if you used that mode.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #232
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Did you choose "competitive" mode for your season so it reports to the leaderboards? I'll keep an eye out for your season if you used that mode.
How does competitive mode work?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »