Home

Does MLB 10: The Show Belong in the Text-Sim Hall of Fame?

This is a discussion on Does MLB 10: The Show Belong in the Text-Sim Hall of Fame? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Does MLB 10: The Show Belong in the Text-Sim Hall of Fame?

MLB 10: The Show is one of the most impressive looking sports games ever made. Stadiums are re-created almost to perfection, player models look nearly identical to their real-life counterparts and the game of baseball’s little nuances are captured throughout each game. The gameplay is also refreshingly realistic. You are rewarded for working the count while batting and punished if you do not mix up your pitches on the mound.

Simply put, The Show deserves most of the praise it gets. But how does the game stack up as a text sim? Text simmers are notoriously finicky and often nerdy. That deadly combination makes text simmers some of the most critical and hard to please gamers out there. Text simmers need realism, customization and screens that are easy to navigate. If we do not have those three core elements, our attention span shrinks exponentially.

That said, can baseball text simmers add The Show to the baseball text sim hall of fame? Does it fit in with greats like Out of the Park Baseball, Strat-o-Matic and Diamond Mind?

Read More - Does MLB 10: The Show Belong in the Text-Sim Hall of Fame?
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
No, and I'm kinda confused why this would be mentioned (even after reading)

I buy THE SHOW and OOTP every year. They both entertain me in different ways.

The Show- Actual gameplay, with real at bats..basically like playing a real baseball game. No TEXT SIM fill whatsoever.

OOTP- For one it is a TEXT SIM and the reason I play it is because of the depth of its option as a owner.

The two game are completely different play styles and are good in their own rights but should not be compared or put into the same type of game. (outside of both being a baseball game)
Old 03-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Does MLB 10: The Show Belong in the Text-Sim Hall of Fame?

Yeah this article make no sense to me. I have no idea how the idea or concept for this article even came to be.

Why would The Show ever be in the text sim hall of fame, it isnt one.....
Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaldwin311
No, and I'm kinda confused why this would be mentioned (even after reading)

I buy THE SHOW and OOTP every year. They both entertain me in different ways. The Show isn't a text-sim therefore it would make absolutely zero sense to place it in the text-sim hall of fame.

The Show- Actual gameplay, with real at bats..basically like playing a real baseball game. No TEXT SIM fill whatsoever.

OOTP- For one it is a TEXT SIM and the reason I play it is because of the depth of its option as a owner.

The two game are completely different play styles and are good in their own rights but should not be compared or put into the same type of game. (outside of both being a baseball game)
Agreed. Completely different games. The Show is not a text-sim game therefore it would make absolutely zero sense to be put in the text-sim hall of fame.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Rookie

Dreifort's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbently
Agreed. Completely different games. The Show is not a text-sim game therefore it would make absolutely zero sense to be put in the text-sim hall of fame.

The Show shouldn't even be considered as a great "Sim" regardless text or graphics.

While the Show posses the ability to sim games or simulate baseball, it is far from any of the more reliable baseball sims when it comes to accurate statistical totals. The Show has sim features built upon a FP game system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
The Show shouldn't even be considered as a great "Sim" regardless text or graphics

Ragardless of what you think, The Show is considered a sim video game.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Definitely not. I also don't think it will be any time in the foreseeable future. There is just so much you can do on a console to push the visuals and game play along with the ridiculously deep stats and customization of an OOTP.

The Show belongs at or near the top of console baseball game HOF (and sports games as a whole for that matter), but it doesn't even belong in the same league as a text sim. In fact, in terms of stats and customization, there are other console games that have had The Show beat.

It does offer a great balance though and if the two concepts ever do meet to such a large extent, I will cease to exist outside of my home gaming area.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
That said, can baseball text simmers add The Show to the baseball text sim hall of fame?
Ummm.....No.

You guys hurting for story ideas?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »