Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos, Plenty of Them (Franchise Play)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos, Plenty of Them (Franchise Play) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Another video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty730
Please, tell me, do you REALLY know what Philly fans are like or are you simply spewing ignorant garbage?

You hear other PEOPLE voice opinions on Philadelphians and you agree; instead of forming your own opinion, you follow others'.

Whatever.

Glaus hasn't been reliable in years. he's on the tail end of his career and is a significant injury risk. A 68 OVR is reasonable.
I've heard the boo's and seen the batteries thrown in person at several Philly sports venues. Doesn't matter if it's the phillies, eagles, flyers, etc. Odd thing is nearby pittsburg fans are cool.

27 homeruns and then 20 homeruns in 115 games is unreliable? He was hurt last year and had corrective surgery and now he's back.

You're grasping at straws at this point, man.

Time will tell...
NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #66
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
If power were all about home runs then you might have a point. Problem is it isn't. To get a better feel for a player's power, you need to take into consider his slugging percentage, and the last 3 full seasons (didn't count Glaus' 2009) Jones' Slugging is far superior to Glaus'.

Jones
2006 - .596
2007 - .604
2008 - .574

Glaus
2006 - .513
2007 - .473
2008 - .483

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Glaus is going to be anything more than older version of Casey Kotchman, i.e. a stop-gap until Freddie Freeman's ready.

And not for nothing, but I wouldn't expect any athlete to get in a paper and talk about how worn out he is. So you'll understand if I'm a little skeptical about Glaus' personal evaluation. (And I read the ajc almost daily.) Sorry. I'm just not that gullible.
Just so I'm sure you actually know what slugging % is and how it's calculated, look here:
  1. Add up all official at bats. Do not include those at bats that resulted in a walk, sacrifices or hit by pitch.
  2. Step 2
    Add up total bases. Total bases are how many bases you reached in all the times you hit safely.
  3. Step 3
    Divide total bases by official at bats.
  4. Step 4
    Round to the third decimal place. For example, .57051 is .571.

Take a look at Brian McCann's slugging %. This is someone who is 70/80 in power.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=435263

Chipper hits for a high average which results in more total bases which results in a higher slugging %. This plays into Chippers higher CONTACT rating. Brian McCann also hits for a higher average and has a higher contact rating than Glaus. Glaus contact rating is where it should be. Power is not.

Capiche?

Last edited by Blazzen; 03-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazzen
I've heard the boo's and seen the batteries thrown in person at several Philly sports venues. Doesn't matter if it's the phillies, eagles, flyers, etc. Odd thing is nearby pittsburg fans are cool.

27 homeruns and then 20 homeruns in 115 games is unreliable? He was hurt last year and had corrective surgery and now he's back.

You're grasping at straws at this point, man.

Time will tell...
EVERYWHERE you go, you'll hear boos, no matter the sport or town. Philly is just a little louder, that's all.

The battery incident happened 13 years ago. A crowd of drunk college kids at the Vet.
I
Come to Citizens Bank Park. If you don't love the experience, I'll pay for your plane back to ATL.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #68
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos, Plenty of Them (Franchise Play)

One thing i always disliked about 2k was the fields themselves they look way too small. Oh well. Gonna give this game a try this year I think.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #69
JEM
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos, Plenty of Them (Franchise Play)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
One thing i always disliked about 2k was the fields themselves they look way too small. Oh well. Gonna give this game a try this year I think.
I like the proportions on 2Ks fields more than The Shows.. Anyone who has visited a MLB ballpark knows that the field is nowhere near as big as it looks on the tube. In the Show the gaps are as wide as the grand canyon.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Just so I'm sure you actually know what slugging % is and how it's calculated, look here:
  1. Add up all official at bats. Do not include those at bats that resulted in a walk, sacrifices or hit by pitch.
  2. Step 2
    Add up total bases. Total bases are how many bases you reached in all the times you hit safely.
  3. Step 3
    Divide total bases by official at bats.
  4. Step 4
    Round to the third decimal place. For example, .57051 is .571.

Take a look at Brian McCann's slugging %. This is someone who is 70/80 in power.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=435263

Chipper hits for a high average which results in more total bases which results in a higher slugging %. This plays into Chippers higher CONTACT rating. Brian McCann also hits for a higher average and has a higher contact rating than Glaus. Glaus contact rating is where it should be. Power is not.

Capiche?
LMAO! Wow. Pretty condescending talk. Someone's sure full of himself.

We're not talking about a straight apples-to-apples conversion of a player's power numbers into ratings for a video game, yet you seem to be seeking one. Power is not just about home runs. It's about doubles and triples, as well as other factors (e.g. park factor, which, if you'll notice, Glaus played in more hitter-friendly parks in 2007 and 2006). The higher batting averages don't nullify the power numbers a player puts up. Obviously, it plays a role, but the Slg% can't be discounted simply because of the higher BAs.

I think what you're missing, what's lost in all of this pro-Braves agenda, is the fact that Jones and McCann's numbers have been steadfastly consistent and neither is coming off of major surgery. McCann's youth is a big factor as well. While age most likely plays a factor in Glaus' rating, the fact that he is coming off major surgery is perhaps the biggest factor.

Oh, and you need to check your stats. Troy Glaus has never had 30+ HRs "5-7 years in a row," as you mentioned. The most he ever did it was 3 times in a row back in 2000-2002.

Sorry. That 68 is more than deserved.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #71
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
LMAO! Wow. Pretty condescending talk. Someone's sure full of himself.

We're not talking about a straight apples-to-apples conversion of a player's power numbers into ratings for a video game, yet you seem to be seeking one. Power is not just about home runs. It's about doubles and triples, as well as other factors (e.g. park factor, which, if you'll notice, Glaus played in more hitter-friendly parks in 2007 and 2006). The higher batting averages don't nullify the power numbers a player puts up. Obviously, it plays a role, but the Slg% can't be discounted simply because of the higher BAs.

I think what you're missing, what's lost in all of this pro-Braves agenda, is the fact that Jones and McCann's numbers have been steadfastly consistent and neither is coming off of major surgery. McCann's youth is a big factor as well. While age most likely plays a factor in Glaus' rating, the fact that he is coming off major surgery is perhaps the biggest factor.

Oh, and you need to check your stats. Troy Glaus has never had 30+ HRs "5-7 years in a row," as you mentioned. The most he ever did it was 3 times in a row back in 2000-2002.

Sorry. That 68 is more than deserved.
Didn't mean it to be condescending, I truthfully thought you might have not known how slugging % is calculated because you were comparing a .307 hitter to a .255 hitter and not taking into account that slugging % is TB/AB and a higher batting average will directly contribute to a higher TB total. 52 points of batting average is a good bit. I bet if you crunch the numbers it equates to roughly 75 points in slugging which puts Glaus "power rating" in the same range as Chipper.

Chipper's a few years older and many players have come back strong from surgery (Gonzo and Moyland come to mind).

As bad as many people claim 2k's ratings are I'm surprised to find people so rabidly defending them. Arguging for the sake of argument?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

As bad as many people claim 2k's ratings are I'm surprised to find people so rabidly defending them. Arguging for the sake of argument?

Actually, no.

People are arguing to dispel your dubious contentions about Glaus.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »