Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #337
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

Obviously the commentary isnt there for the demo. However the one thing that kind of worries me is the presentation. What 2k9 stressed so much about was realtime presentation.. Im not too sure if its just because 2k wanted to stress gameplay in the demo but someone mention over in the 2k-forums that the demo felt a bit more hurried up. 2k9 did a decent job at slowing things down and showing a lot of cutscenes to make you feel like you were watching a game on tv. I would think 2k10 would only improve upon presentation but in the demo it seems they have taken a step back to get the player sort of "back to the action" quicker. I really hope the retail version gives us that broadcast feel.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #338
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock85
Once you press start move the right stick
While we're on the subject, I wish I knew the reason for them continuing to use this exceptionally stupid menu interface.

Yeah, you can get used to it, but it's so unintuitive it's like they're doing it just for the sake of being different.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #339
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazbk
I don't recall him having a sinker in real life. He throws two fastballs (4-seam and what can be described as a 2-seam. It has a lot of movement. This might be what you are referring to). He also throws two variations of his curveball and sometimes a change-up, but no sinker.

As for the demo, I played about 5 games now. My first game I got blown out 5-0 because I couldn't remember how to play the game. My next 3 games were 0-0 ties. I then beat the Phils 8-1 on the strength of two 3-run A-Bombs. I like the pitching. Baserunning system still sucks. Batting is still a bit quirky but I think it is a significant upgrade from last year.

As a teacher, I can equate the two available baseball games to students. On one hand you have a low A student who when they improve, it doesn't really seem that significant. On the other hand, you have a failing student who just improved about two letter grades. It's more impressive in terms of gaining points but still doesn't match the quality of the other student.

In any event, I will give this game a fair chance during the month of March and we will see how it goes from there.

great analogy.
ill b e going with the failing upstart student this year.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #340
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

I played a couple of innings before work, but I noticed one thing present that bugged the hell out of me in 08'. The strike zone is MASSIVE. Not as it is shown, but as it is called. Anything even remotley brushing the zone is called a strike. Hopefully it was an aberration. But it took me back. I remember playing a couple of games in 08 where I pitched balls where you could fit another ball between it and the strikezone and they would be called a strike.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #341
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
The strike zone is MASSIVE. Not as it is shown, but as it is called. Anything even remotley brushing the zone is called a strike.
I just watched the (second?) video that was posted in this thread..it's a two part showing an entire inning. I've also noticed this as well.

Also...pitches break the same regardless of their height in the zone. In the video the guy throws a 12-6 high in the zone, and it breaks just as much as it does when thrown low. Same happened a few pitches later with a sinker.

And a big head scratcher...There was a play with guys on first and second, and a ball was hit hard to third with the third baseman having to track to his right to field it. It carried him a bit into foul ground. The guy controlling the player seemed to want to goto second base with the throw, but instead the third baseman threw it to the shortstop!? Huh?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #342
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDawg58
So whats the overall concensus? Will you guys be buying this game or not?
NOT BUYING

Pitching interface is great, I love the defensive swing (though the swing stick is no were near as good as it was in 2k8). But there is just a ton of problems, they MAY be fixable with heavy slider adjustment. But I'm not paying $60 to see if it is.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #343
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm very picky when it comes to baseball games as I played in college, so very little things usually annoy me more than others. Especially when it comes to "real" visual things and the little baseball nuances. Here are a few quick Pros and Cons from what I've seen from a few games of the demo:

Pros

1) Love the defensive swing. Really feels like I'm battling with the pitcher to get a pitch I want to swing at.
2) Batters eye. Reminds me of MVP 05's color system. Real baseball players (especially those at the MLB level) can see either the grip or the seams on the ball when it leaves the pitchers hand and is coming towards the plate. Video games can't achieve this so the Batters Eye system is probably as good as it can get.
3) Bunts. I've only done 2, but each time it felt like the Catcher had to actually make a play. In past games it has felt like a bunt is a waste of time as the catcher would be on the ball before the batter even got out of the box. Not so this year.... at least in the few attempts I've made.
4) I like the way the catcher sets up AFTER you select your location and begin your movement. I hated having to move him to the spot I wanted to throw to if I decided to go with a different pitch than the one he selected.
5) It's much easier to take pitches when batting than in previous years. I actually can tell if the ball is going to be out of the zone and it isn't a guess. Makes it much more fun to work the pitch count and really hack at something.
6) Love the new camera angle for steals at the base.
7) Swing analyzer is sweet.
8) Like the catcher view when trying to throw out a runner.

Cons
1) Why does the 95mph fastball from Joba look to have arc to it? It shouldn't. This really, really annoys me. I'm sure there will be an option to turn up pitch speed which might will help some.
2) Couldn't figure out how to change my defensive players on my own when the ball was hit into shallow OF and I was controlling an INF. Probably just a problem with me being an idiot.
3) A few times when an OF was picking up the ball on the run to fire to a base the animation had him facing the wrong direction and the ball flying opposite. Not a big deal really. As long as the ball goes to the right base I can deal with him acting like Mega Man.
4) Fielding animations seem a little jerky, but I can get over that if they respond to what I want them to do.
5) Sometimes the ball seems to fly really fast out of INFs hands no matter how fast their arm goes.

That's all for now and I'm enjoying the game so far. I'm really hoping the Franchise and My Player modes are solid. If they are, I'll ignore most of the minor things above. I'm just hoping it's playable this year. I was seriously considering buying a PS3 so I could play The Show, but I'll give this one a shot after the demo.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #344
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500Feet
Don't make me say it, man.. because I honestly do play one sports game outta the box ( yea, it " plays well " ) without ever adjusting the sliders.
This one?

http://tinyurl.com/ybvoav9

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »