Home

MLB '10: The Show Blog: Catcher Calling the Game

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Blog: Catcher Calling the Game within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #65
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: MLB '10: The Show Blog: Catcher Calling the Game

Stupid work firewall!

This is one I've been waiting for, as I'm the former catchers club (FCC?) as well. I gave RTTS a shot when I got the game in November, but only playing D on plays coming to me didn't feel right. Catcher wasn't much fun either, but the early info has me interested in giving it a shot this year. Wish I could read the blog...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 9

I think the dynamic of the pitcher calling off the suggestion is one that could be worked into a very interesting scenario. Seeing as though there is a FCC, I fall into the catagory of the FPC.

Sometimes, I knew that we needed to throw a curveball, but when I had the ball in my glove, my fingers grabbed a Splitter grip on the seams that felt so perfect, I didn't want to let go.

I always tried to tell my catcher that his pitch selection was a "suggestion", and that I would take it into consideration before I threw what I wanted to throw.

Sometimes there was yelling....

So, I think that there could be some real games within the game with a dynamic that utilized the pitcher's strengths and what he was throwing effectively. I love how you can see how your pitcher is progressing through the game with the little bars that represent each particular pitch, and how effectively it is being thrown as the game wears on.

As a RTTS Catcher, your decision for the pitch would be based on how well your pitcher is throwing the ball, and if his Slider effectiveness bar is all lit up, then you would expect to maybe see him go to that pitch when he needed to.

The other interesting way to approach it would really capture being "In Synch" with your battery mate. If you call for a 2-seamer and you get the shake off, you would then call for another pitch. Based on your next pitch selection, if you guessed what he wanted to throw correctly, there would be some sort of meter that you would either gain or lose effectiveness points based on the pitches you called for.

Watch a pitcher and catcher work a game where the pitcher is just rolling, and you'll see them be an extension of one another, and typically, even for pitchers with a 4+ pitch-arsenal, after the first shake off, the catcher usually gets that second call right.

Working this dynamic into experience points, or Pitcher/Catcher Confidence Points would add a real twist to the game, and done correctly, could make the difference of a Rookie Catcher that the pitchers are not quite sure of yet, or a rock-solid back stop that the pitchers can't wait to throw to.

On a side note, I played at college with a catcher who claimed that there was no such thing as a passed ball. Only wild pitches.

Catchers are a different sort.

syf
Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 42

Thanks a lot TN - BRAVES FAN!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #68
Pro

cardsfan2222's Arena

OVR: 12

Will the catcher be able to go out to the mound to calm down the pitcher, or is that still up to the manager?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

So can you play co-op online with one player pitching and the other one catching using this new mode?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 2
i h8 the fact that ur either a starter or a closer kinda gettin off topic there. sorry. being a starter takes too long and closers dont get enof time. put in middle reliever nd ill b happy
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #71
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
So can you play co-op online with one player pitching and the other one catching using this new mode?

No
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Well they missed a golden opportunity IMO

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »