Home

Madden NFL 10: The Game Which Almost Was

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10: The Game Which Almost Was within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodriggo
The annual "What I want in Madden" thread.

Let me tell you how it ends........they ignore everything you ask for.

They simply take a feature already in this years game and give it a catchy name like:

Madden 11: "Field General" - make pre-snap adjustments.

or

Madden 11: "Become a Dynasty" - Play as the same team over and over and over again.

or

Madden 11: "Own the League" - Control every aspect of your team except for the ******* stadium music.
LMAOOOOOOOO exactly.

Really, I just want them to fix the gameplay. After a while, this game stunk. Not trying to simply hate, but they just don't get it. Look at backbreaker's dev diary #1 on Gamespot. They have the correct concept: momentum (and for them, realtime animations) is the predominant factor. Ratings are simply INFLUENCERS on the game. What madden fails to do is having the ratings influence how the AI and players play. Instead, EA has ratings determine what happens on the field...no, momentum, animations, AI and the play call are the main factor that affects what happens on the field. Ratings come second.Once they finally understand that, and actually use animations that you see in real life in the NFL, then they'll have a good game. Until then...no dice.

Till this day, 2k5 is more fun and more realistic than Madden. Madden doesn't have to switch to Euphoria, they can keep their motion-capped animations, but just have them realistic and smooth so that they can capture what happens on an NFL field! If 2k5 was blown up into HD and had all the features of Madden, it'd be a great game!

Madden needs to focus on 3 main things:
1. Momentum, physics and animations ... and having ratings affect HOW players play
2. CPU AI
3. Football IQ and structure... how players play the flats, the difference between man and zone blocking, the NT being double teamed, etc. Fundamental aspects of football that affect the whole dynamic of play.

Go back to basics EA, go back to basics. Fix these issues, and you have a good game... jeez.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 3
This game is terrible on next gen. How can they make something so great on last gen,yet so bad on next gen. The graphics are great and the presentation is better,but still needs work,but the gameplay is a joke. I've never seen a game where the AI is so clueless especially on the OL. They need to stop worrying about adding in all these stupid features like fight for the fumble,hand towels,rewind,etc.. and focus on fixing the gameplay.

Pro Tak RUINED this game and if people cant see that then they are just dumb fanboys. While it looked good in the videos,playing the game made this feature EXTREMELY frustrating cuz of the ridiculous amount of times you get sucked into someone. Many times I had a clear view of the QB for a big sack and I got sucked into the blocker. I'm so glad I didnt waste my money on this garbage and I look forward to BB ruining Madden 11 sales. Not that BB will sell better,but it will definately turn ppl away from Madden
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #59
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Madden NFL 10: The Game Which Almost Was

I think Offline franchise still needs a lot of attention. Like Rocky said it should be a big focus as a lot of us don't play online.

I don't ever plan on playing Madden online. It is funny though every other game I have I only play online while Madden is a game that I just don't like online.

Hopefull, it gets its attention this year but my feeling is it won't. I don't think the people making decision at EA currently believe it is the direction they want to head.

I think eventually you will see more Madden Shop and online. Plus more purchase DL content. I think making more money via extra add-ons online will be the direction this game takes in years to come. Maybe even a subsciption based option for you online franchise guys ($10/mo. or something like that).

Last edited by stux; 02-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #60
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by creed200569

Pro Tak RUINED this game and if people cant see that then they are just dumb fanboys. While it looked good in the videos,playing the game made this feature EXTREMELY frustrating cuz of the ridiculous amount of times you get sucked into someone. Many times I had a clear view of the QB for a big sack and I got sucked into the blocker. I'm so glad I didnt waste my money on this garbage and I look forward to BB ruining Madden 11 sales. Not that BB will sell better,but it will definately turn ppl away from Madden

That's harsh. I personally like Pro-Tak, but I'm no fanboy. I've played all the NFL titles in the past, not just Madden.
It needs work, sure, but it doesn't ruin the game for me.

In fact, this is the longest I've played a Madden title in quite some time. Usually, I play a season, then trade it in. I'm in year two of franchise, and still enjoying it.

As for BB-----doubt it will ruin Madden sales. It'll probably do well in sales in the beginning, but after the initial excitement wanes and the bugs start showing up, it'll be a different story. JMO.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Well for the most part I love madden this year. Best ever. But will be even better come madden11. There is still work that need sto be done to madden 11 to make it much better then 10. But Ian and his crew will do it.
Madden 10, for me, was a disappointment; it has been a disappointment for the last five years. Madden 10 is the fourth consecutive next-gen Madden that I've traded in early. The improvements were merely cosmetic in nature: they slowed down the game, they added signature throwing styles for all 32 starting QBs and made a half-hearted attempt(it was a waste IMO) to improve the presentation.

The core problems are still there:

1.) QBs are far too accurate when throwing without setting their feet. The "roll and chuck" is stil alive.

2.) The animations are repetative and many times inappropiate; did I mention that they, the animations, are goofy or unrealistic at times ?

3.) The pocket isn't a true pocket.

4.) The AI is mentally challenged.

5.) The playbook is reduntant

6.) The franchise mode is shallow; the stat engine is broken.

7.) For some reason, in the year 2010, we still are unable to
substitute by formation in the pause menu or prior to
starting the game. It's funny, with all interaction that this
community has had with the developers, we still can't get
a reason as to why we can't have formation subs in the
pause menu.

Honestly, if Madden 11 turns out to be everything that Madden 10 was advertised to be, and they put all of the features available on last-gen consoles onto the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game, I'll be a happy camper.

The franchise modes also needs more: they need extended rosters in the off-season and preseason, an IR feature that works, 53 man rosters with no position requirements, 45 man active game rosters and a stat engine that can at least approach reality.

Instead of trying to wow us with the mantra " everything you see on Sundays", realize that will never happen and take a more realistic approach.

How about " what you don't see on Sundays, you won't see in Madden 11"? It is simply not possible to re-create every aspect of an NFL contest on a video game; however, it may be possible to eliminate all of the things that happen in Madden, but don't happen during NFL games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #62
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78

Instead of trying to wow us with the mantra " everything you see on Sundays", realize that will never happen and take a more realistic approach.

How about " what you don't see on Sundays, you won't see in Madden 11"? It is simply not possible to re-create every aspect of an NFL contest on a video game; however, it may be possible to eliminate all of the things that happen in Madden, but don't happen during NFL games.
I think you make an excellent point here Tito.

Imo anyway...this mantra sounds more presentation based than anything else. Which would be fine, if you have the core gameplay and AI that is impressive.

Seems to me, that most of the comments about other highly thought of sport games such as The show, NHL and FIFA, are nearly always about the realistic gameplay and smooth lifelike animations. And not so much about the overall presentation. Meaning that the commentary and presentation nicely supports the core of the overall game. But it isn't for the many, the main focus of the praise.

Anyway...I think I know what your getting at. That on Sunday, you don't see teams punting on their opponents 30 yard line on 4th and inches. Or players/ball, morphing through each other, players jet packing to the ball, or players getting sucked into blocks etc...

I think we may agree Tito, that the thing that will bring Madden into the same conversation as theses other games is maybe what you DON'T really notice...or take for granted. Such as sense able AI, and lifelike animations. It wasn't the talk of the flash and dance that drew me to these other sports games. But rather the constant comments about how solid the basics were.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »