Home

Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online Beta Review

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online Beta Review within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online Beta Review

It has been about 10 years since I last played a golf game on the PC. Ever since Tiger Woods arrived on the original Playstation in 1998, I have been enthralled by the idea of console golf with my family and college roommates. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2002 further solidified the series as the golf game of choice for me because of the intuitive analog-swing mechanics on the Playstation 2.

Unfortunately, the years have not been so kind to the TW franchise, with each console iteration released since 2005 feeling more and more stale and archaic -- the only saving grace being the exceptional motion controls in Tiger Woods 10 Wii.

Thankfully, EA Sports has started an open beta for Tiger Woods Online -- a free to play, browser-based PGA experience that hearkens back to the days of the PGA Tour series on the PC. The game is a breath of fresh air for a jaded golf-gaming veteran such as myself, perfectly blending old-school game mechanics with innovative online and community features.

So is the TW Online beta worth your time? Read on and find out.

Read More - Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online Beta Review

Platform: PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Ive been playing for a couple of months. VERY ADDICTING.

As far as the gameface thing, I am assuming they will add some of those options down the road. I still click the Pro Shop everyday to see if it is open.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 13
The only flaw I've found is the same flaw in every Tiger game: power is incredibly overrated. With only a week or so of buildup you easily drive 300+ yards off the tee, and once you're driving that far it starts to snowball (you get money for long drives, for greens in regulation, for birdies/eagles, all of which are pretty much gimmes when you're driving 80%+ of the hole; as of now the only thing you can spend money on is improving your player, so it gets even easier.)

It looks great, it plays great (I'm on DSL & I rarely have more than a 5 second wait between holes, usually in the 2-3 second range on max settings with a computer I built in December for $300.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online Beta Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigogouhou
The only flaw I've found is the same flaw in every Tiger game: power is incredibly overrated. With only a week or so of buildup you easily drive 300+ yards off the tee, and once you're driving that far it starts to snowball (you get money for long drives, for greens in regulation, for birdies/eagles, all of which are pretty much gimmes when you're driving 80%+ of the hole; as of now the only thing you can spend money on is improving your player, so it gets even easier.)

It looks great, it plays great (I'm on DSL & I rarely have more than a 5 second wait between holes, usually in the 2-3 second range on max settings with a computer I built in December for $300.
Which isn't that usually the problem with golf games, you build your character up too much and then a great deal of the challenge is gone. I like the fact that they seem to be looking to address that with more challenging game modes, hopefully that will keep the scores down. Seems like they could also set up tournaments for just base golfers, no building up their stats at all, but I suppose that'd kill many people's motivation to continue to play the game.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9
Good write up. Like some of the other posters have mentioned is that once you start driving the ball 290+ the game gets easy. Yesterdays leaderboards for Tour Pro (which should easily be the hardest mode) the leader was at -22 for 1 round. Where is the challenge??? I'm hoping that the FULL version will have some sort of challenging mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthostud23
Good write up. Like some of the other posters have mentioned is that once you start driving the ball 290+ the game gets easy. Yesterdays leaderboards for Tour Pro (which should easily be the hardest mode) the leader was at -22 for 1 round. Where is the challenge??? I'm hoping that the FULL version will have some sort of challenging mode.
There are currently no distinct difficulty modes in the game. Currently, on any tournament level, the game is like shooting fish in a barrel, hence why it is still beta. When you consider users can enter a tournament as many times as they like and the game is so easy, you can expect scores like this, especially when they allow you to change back and forth between TrueSwing and 3-click any time in the round. This is how most users are submitting ridiculous scores. Look for these things to go away in the near future as the TWO Beta Community has been pretty vocal about removing such features.

EA has announced they plan to add distinct difficulty levels soon in a beta update.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
There are currently no distinct difficulty modes in the game. Currently, on any tournament level, the game is like shooting fish in a barrel, hence why it is still beta. When you consider users can enter a tournament as many times as they like and the game is so easy, you can expect scores like this, especially when they allow you to change back and forth between TrueSwing and 3-click any time in the round. This is how most users are submitting ridiculous scores. Look for these things to go away in the near future as the TWO Beta Community has been pretty vocal about removing such features.

EA has announced they plan to add distinct difficulty levels soon in a beta update.
good info Divot. Look forward to seeing what they can do to up the difficulty.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
The generation gap is showing itself here. This is an update to the Jack Nicklaus Golf game released in the late 80's. At leat the three click version is. More courses, sure but basically the same game.

I guess everyone is bonkers about it because it's online and not a stand alone game. That and they can't remember the game this is based on. Probably don't even know who Jack is anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »