Home

Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I & II

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I & II within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #81
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Thanks for this Trev. It really sounds like we may finally have a realistic Pitching Mechanic in the game.
I think so, too. I think finally we will feel the difference between a #1 and a #5. Hopefully no more team ERA's in the 2's and muliple weeks of pitching without issuing a walk.

It may take a while to get used to getting shelled every now and then after being able to absolutely dominate with anyone for as far back as I can remember.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #82
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I

the only problem with this "1-to-1" pitching control mechanic, is if I do the same thing wrong every time I throw a cutter (which is what human users do) - I can just adjust by aiming higher for example and still pinpoint my pitches.

There was a pitch last year that I had no idea what I was doing wrong (no analyzer), but all i had to do was adjust my aiming and I could paint corners with it all game. lame. while the theory behind what they are doing is great, it removes the randomness that I want from my pitches. I just wish they would give us a control slider to increase the randomness of final pitch location in an incremental radius. lets face it, no human is going to mess up a pitch gesture differently every time. its always going to be the same issue if you have one at all...leading to the same locations for the most part.

but I do like having a hitting analyzer...makes you believe they have corrected all of the "ball going right through the bat" for a strike that we've seen from 2k. at least I hope so, otherwise its gonna look real bad when the analyzer breaks down why a perfectly timed swing resulted in a strike out!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 2

So this patch now comes out when?

Release day too?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #84
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg
the only problem with this "1-to-1" pitching control mechanic, is if I do the same thing wrong every time I throw a cutter (which is what human users do) - I can just adjust by aiming higher for example and still pinpoint my pitches.

There was a pitch last year that I had no idea what I was doing wrong (no analyzer), but all i had to do was adjust my aiming and I could paint corners with it all game. lame. while the theory behind what they are doing is great, it removes the randomness that I want from my pitches. I just wish they would give us a control slider to increase the randomness of final pitch location in an incremental radius. lets face it, no human is going to mess up a pitch gesture differently every time. its always going to be the same issue if you have one at all...leading to the same locations for the most part.

but I do like having a hitting analyzer...makes you believe they have corrected all of the "ball going right through the bat" for a strike that we've seen from 2k. at least I hope so, otherwise its gonna look real bad when the analyzer breaks down why a perfectly timed swing resulted in a strike out!
Regardless you would still have to be consistant with your missed gesture.

In real life if you are missing a little, you make an adjustment to get the pitch where you need it to be. You pick a slightly different spot to initially aim your pitch at. If you start your curve at the hitters shoulder to get it to break over the middle of the plate and you are missing away all day, you start adjusting your spot and now maybe throw it at his helmet to hit your location. There's a bit of trial and error until you lock down your target.

I see this as basically accomplishing the same thing. You either make an adjustment to your location (your pinpoint) or your mechanics (your gesture). One of these (or a combination of both) should help you get your ball to where you need it to be.

Regardless, to get consistant results, you have to be consistant. Even if you are consistantly off in one direction, you're making an adjustment to counter act that. Like golf, you adjust your aim to account for your natural draw/fade. Even on a day with a ton of slice, you can still continuously hit fairways just by adjusting your aim.

Also, it seems like the gesture spot this year is much smaller, which means you're going to have to be more exact, which means it's more likely you will miss in both directions or consistantly in one direction to different degree's.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #85
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Did I understand this correctly.. there is a patch for a game that hasn't even come out yet? If so, I'm speechless!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #86
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mniner2003
Did I understand this correctly.. there is a patch for a game that hasn't even come out yet? If so, I'm speechless!
Don't be alarmed, this happens all the time (happened with The Show last year).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #87
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Don't be alarmed, this happens all the time (happened with The Show last year).
Yep, Call of Duty games are always like this too.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #88
Pro

OVR: 9

Video is looking pretty good. What concerns me and this may have been answered, but I hope you can hit homeruns on occasion with the contact swing.

Trade your old or unwanted games/movies...Ask me how it works!

Kane182's MLB2K10 custom Soundtracks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »