Home

Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I & II

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I & II within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #49
Rookie

billyo's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I

Guys, I am at work and could only skim the pages. I want to know if your ability as a gamer matters more than the ratings of the player. For example, is it easier to pitch with Halladay than some AA player?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #50
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I

I like where they are going with this, there's some good info from this insight and I like the changes to the pitching mechanism.

BUT....

I still don't like the check swings. With using the right stick to hit, pulling the stick back to check swing...I don't see that working well at all. If it's like the previous years, it's just something that you don't have time to do. Maybe just releasing the stick (instead of pulling it back) would work better?

Quote:
Prior to playing Major League Baseball® 2K10, I had to decide before the pitch was even thrown as to whether or not I was going to swing. Forget knowing if it was a ball or strike…that had been impossible in baseball games before 2K10. I’m just talking about the decision to swing or not to swing.
Not sure what games he has played in the past, but could this statement be more wrong?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #51
LOB

Coug00's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Insight/Game Trailer Expected Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Wait, timeout!

Don't tell me the game really pauses when the batter's eye is displayed. Is this the case? If so, this feature is even worse than I thought. I hope that's just part of the trailer visuals showing you how it works.

I'm definitely turning off that feature.
I'm gonna guess it was paused at the "batter's eye" portion during the video since it was a tutorial type movie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #52
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo
Guys, I am at work and could only skim the pages. I want to know if your ability as a gamer matters more than the ratings of the player. For example, is it easier to pitch with Halladay than some AA player?
They said that doing well with the radial meter will be based on your pitcher's ratings and current state, so it may be more difficult to pinpoint maximum effort with some pitchers compared to others.

Then there is a larger window for nailing your gesture, which I believe they called a "green zone." You have two parts to the gesture, and the second part will determine how your release the ball. Worse pitchers will have a smaller green zone to land in, making it tougher to perfect your pitches. Halladay should have a larger green zone as a result.

I just hope it doesn't get too easy.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 5

Wow. I was trying to contain excitement after the MLB Today insight, but can no longer. I am really pumped for this game. At this point I think most people are feeling that way and if 2k doesn't pull through this year it'll be HUGE. I feel like this is now a make or break for the 2k baseball title. They lose followers this year and I think they lose them for good. From what we've seen I don't think there is a lot to worry about. Let's hope the fielding AI is intelligent.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
With regards to the pitching in a two player game, I would assume the highlighted pitch would not show up on screen showing how to perform the pitch correct? I guess you would just have to remember the motions?
I was thinking about this too... how do you play against another human without them knowing what pitch you're throwing? Maybe online you get away with the hitter not seeing the gesture icon, but what about a face-to-face game? It would take quite a while to memorize gestures if that's the way they do 2-player games. And I know you can adjust this but why is the pitch speed so slow? 90 mph looks like little league.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #55
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Insight/Game Trailer Expected Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug00
I'm gonna guess it was paused at the "batter's eye" portion during the video since it was a tutorial type movie.
I certainly hope so. I can give numerous reasons why having this pause would be a bad idea.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearz
I was thinking about this too... how do you play against another human without them knowing what pitch you're throwing? Maybe online you get away with the hitter not seeing the gesture icon, but what about a face-to-face game? It would take quite a while to memorize gestures if that's the way they do 2-player games. And I know you can adjust this but why is the pitch speed so slow? 90 mph looks like little league.

My guess would be that they leave all the pitches up after you select the pitch you want.

So far so good on these insights. They are all outstanding in theory. Will VC be able to put these theories into practice?

March 2nd can't come soon enough!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »