Home

Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I & II

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I & II within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: MLB 2k10 Pitchers vs hitters insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgisbeast
I love this. This might not be the best looking baseball game but stuff like this has it sounding like it's moving in the direction of the best playing one. No meters. Total control that works the way it should.
The idea of having the ball hang in the zone or fall outta the zone based on falling short or going long on accuracy is similar to MVP 2005. I know it was meter based in MVP, but that's how it worked.

The mechanics of batting and pitching in MLB 2K10 seem much better than MLB 2K9. It's the way it should be in 2010. Ya know, swing early renders ball pulled. Swing late renders ball pushed.

Last edited by 500Feet; 02-08-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
My only complaint I have, is when they swing, they lift their leg, then drop and then a delay and swing. It is not one fluid motion like a hitter. As the hitter shifts his weight forward and drops his leg, the swing should be following through.

Instead, he is doing a lift and drop, then a swing. Looks awkward.
I agree that is a big downer for me. It looks like it is missing some frame rates. But the game looks like it is getting there though, so we shall see.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500Feet
The idea of having the ball hang in the zone or fall outta the zone based on falling short or going long on accuracy is similar to MVP 2005. I know it was meter based in MVP, but that's how it worked.

The mechanics of batting and pitching in MLB 2K10 seem much better than MLB 2K9. It's the way it should be in 2010. Ya know, swing early renders ball pulled. Swing late renders ball pushed.
The only issue i have with it is it sounds like pitching is purely gesture based. It doesn't sound like it matters when you let go of the stick but could be wrong, so it might be easy to pinpoint your gestures. I lilke hte fact its rating based and the window and where you are hitting your gesture is all good. I also like that you select your pitch first. I also like if you miss your gesture the pitch actually simulates that if you go to far on your gesture or too short etc.. But it would be cool if they also timed it with the animation itself. IE you start your gesture you go into your windup and then when you release the pitch you have to time when the pitch is actually released ie letting go of the stick. Heavy rain has those kind of gestures and the actual movements tie into how fast you are moving hte stick, when you release etc.. Obviously more sophisticated but that would make it incredibly realistic.

It sounds like they have the batting timing down but the pitching is more gesture based and not so much timing. When both are about timing.

Quote:
Hall of Fame pitcher Warren Spahn once said, “Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing.” After winning more games than any left-handed pitcher in baseball history, Mr. Spahn is as well versed as anyone when it comes to the battle at the plate between a pitcher and a hitter. In Major League Baseball® 2K10, we have provided an experience where the gamer will really feel the benefits and challenges of upsetting timing, as Warren Spahn so eloquently put it decades ago.
I think 2k is definately on the right track here. But am I wrong here?

Edit: Just watched the video and seems like they have the first gesture and hold down as far as power and windup, but there really isn't a release point which should play into accuracy as well as where you are hitting the stick which would make it more difficult to hit your spots.. Just add a release and they'd have it perfect.

Last edited by kgisbeast; 02-08-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #36
MVP

davis420's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I

I think I mite get this for the 360. I have a PS3 so you know what game I'm getting for that but this game looks really decent!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10: MLB Developer Insights - Pitchers vs. Hitters Part I

Looks like a buy for me. My only holdback will be hearing how this runs on a ps3. Has there been any thing so far regarding Ps3 performance?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #38
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Finally, a glimpse of gameplay footage. I'm really looking forward to this now. The bat on ball physics look quite good.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 26

I can't wait for release. The finger placement on the ball with Verlander's slider was pimp.

Game looks unbelievable.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #40

OVR: 34

I really like how the ball moves off the bat in those defensive swings.

There is (like some have mentioned) a frame missing in some swings. A little choppy there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »