Home

Madden NFL 10: The Game Which Almost Was

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10: The Game Which Almost Was within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Madden NFL 10: The Game Which Almost Was

I gave Madden 10 a shot but my two of my biggest disappointments in it were the camera angles and the fact it's not college football. Obviously they can fix the first issue and not the second. I think Madden 10 was a lot better than NCAA 10 in my short time with it but the lousy camera angles in both games really hurt my enjoyment of the game. Some of us use to play with the blimp camera on the PS2 and like a higher point of view camera. Some of us loved the custom camera angles we used to get in the older versions. Bring some of those options back and I'll be much happier.

Lastly (and this is for Madden and NCAA 11) I think the game needs to go back to being fun. I think a lot of criticism of these games, and I include myself in this, is that the game isn't realistic enough. Whether the 3-4 doesn't generate enough pass rush, the NT isn't occupying enough double teams, the sim stats aren't right, etc, etc. Guess what, none of that stuff was done that well on the PS2 and many of the critics talk openly about how great the PS2 versions were (NCAA 04 or NCAA 06, Madden 03 or Madden 05).

The PS2 versions had lousy line play when you compared it to real life. It was Tecmo style wrestling in the trenches but the game produced decent results and we liked it. One of the things I liked about NCAA 06 were the impact players. I loved seeing the great players dominate and instill fear in you from both an offensive and defensive perspective. I'd like to see a big difference between good and bad players even if it breaks the sim rules. I'd like to see a bigger difference between scat backs breaking my ankles with crazy juke moves versus power backs running me over (and let me do it too). I want the deep ball to be easier to complete for both me and the cpu. Big plays are fun! People want realism but taking a sack or throwing the ball away has never been part of the fun football games in the past.

People do need to look at why they loved the football games of the past and compare what those games did versus what we are asking these new games to do. In many ways they oppose each other. Be careful what we wish for. Maybe someone will build a great football game that is truly sim AND fun. But I'll settle for fun at the moment. It's been awhile.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I would honestly rather see them focus on the offline franchise than online franchise. IMO, that is still the single most important mode in sports gaming.

I believe I had a great, easy to implement idea in adding storylines to the franchise mode.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ibilities.html

The best franchise mode ever (Madden NFL 2007 for the PS2) had something similar to this and I played the heck out of that game.
I find it amusing to read posts like this. It's the single most important mode in sports games in YOUR OPINION... Simply because YOU enjoy it the most. Someone who plays online and likes to have real online leagues will think the exact opposite. A simple solution? How about making all of the modes you have in the game up to par with what is out there already or was done 5 years ago?

There's a long way to go for Madden to be worth 60 dollars... Or 20 dollars for that matter.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I find it amusing to read posts like this. It's the single most important mode in sports games in YOUR OPINION... Simply because YOU enjoy it the most. Someone who plays online and likes to have real online leagues will think the exact opposite. A simple solution? How about making all of the modes you have in the game up to par with what is out there already or was done 5 years ago?

There's a long way to go for Madden to be worth 60 dollars... Or 20 dollars for that matter.
Its a opinion shared by alot of older gamers like myself. Thirty-six, married, three kids, a job. You know, life. Its really hard to devote a ton of time to play a game online in a franchise. I think Ea can do both. I think they can do something with online franchise, while tweaking and adding to offline.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 12

In my opinion, the Madden franchise has a long way to go. I'm not buying the game right away when it drops. I may not even rent it at first. I'll probably check the forums here for info concerning exploits and glitches; if I buy the game, it will be a used copy. I'm not paying $60.00 for this game.

One thing is certain: I won't have any expectations for Madden 11. That way I won't be disappointed.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Rookie

HiTEqMETHOD's Arena

OVR: 13
I haven't bought Madden since '07 and I don't see myself doing so until 2012. I'm being optimistic here because I remember thinking way back in 2007 that 2010 would be a good game and I got burned. I'm just hoping either EA shapes up or someone else makes a great football game by then. APF2k8 was good but I need a franchise mode!

The main problem I have with EA's games are their lack of any sort of mojo or swagger. APF2k8 had it, PES has it, NBA 2k has it. Why can't EA just use all those resources and make a decent football game? Instead I get an easter egg shell with the mona lisa painted on it but when you open it up there's no treat.

Oh and if NCAA Football is as boring and unexciting as it was last year the upcoming college football season will be slightly less enjoyable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 4
The annual "What I want in Madden" thread.

Let me tell you how it ends........they ignore everything you ask for.

They simply take a feature already in this years game and give it a catchy name like:

Madden 11: "Field General" - make pre-snap adjustments.

or

Madden 11: "Become a Dynasty" - Play as the same team over and over and over again.

or

Madden 11: "Own the League" - Control every aspect of your team except for the ******* stadium music.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #23
Rookie

bbmike15's Arena

OVR: 3
I agree with everything but the online franchise. Is anyone actually playing this??? I thought it was a complete bust Iean no salary cap??? Signing free agents and trading at will??? What the point??? And the online award should of gone to the NCAA online dynasty which is FAR superior to madden joke of online franchise
Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
I think Madden this year is in the same shape that Live 09 was two years ago or NHL 08 three years ago:

A good, fun game with lots of flaws that if fixed, could become a great game.

I think the development team they've got in place has the right vision and leadership to get the job done.

Next year should be the year that Madden finally moves out of the "C tier" of sports franchises up into the "B tier" with NBA Live and others.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »