Home

Meet Joe Mauer, Your MLB '10: The Show Cover Athlete w/ Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on Meet Joe Mauer, Your MLB '10: The Show Cover Athlete w/ Gameplay Video within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #57
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Meet Joe Mauer, Your MLB '10: The Show Cover Athlete w/ Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Sometimes when I hear that stuff, I'm thinking more along the lines of, "I mean they may play it and get the swag down, but I doubt they can take it to that level to simulate the actual experience." Just like how NASCAR drivers said that they would play the old PS2 games to get a feel of the track. I gotta call baloney on that, though I won't doubt that they play the game, love it, and probably get a good general feel of what they'd be up against if not at least get into the mindset. Hell, I'm sure they even have clubhouse tourneys.

I'll tell you what, if I was a pitcher, I wouldn't ever rely on a video game simulation to give me a scouting report, no matter how real it plays out. It's just not the same. The biggest reason I would play a video game as a major leaguer is to see myself in it, which is really kind of cool (then I would make all of the necessary edits that they may have missed, including boosting my power ratings ).
I don't think he ever said they use it as a scouting report, but...

Cool! Nothing like calling a guy you don't even know and aren't standing in front of a liar! This interweb thingy is so cool.

Last edited by Woodweaver; 02-05-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #58
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Oh, I didn't say I called him a liar haha I was just saying that he's probably "stretching the story" a bit more to make it sound good. I do the same thing when I say something like, "Back when we used my neighbor's big tree in the backyard hanging over my hill. We'd tie a rope around it, climb up the fence, and swing off doing flips into the swimming pool. We would do the most insane flips and nearly break our legs doing it well past sunset, but it was damn near the best time we ever had."

As for the NASCAR thing, I don't doubt that they're getting a better understanding of the track (like maybe these guys would play this game for a feel of the hitter's eye, shadow effects, and surrounding environment), but they can't really call it "practice" what they're doing. Getting in that car and doing the real thing really almost makes you forget everything that you were doing while playing the game, except for the instinctive familiarities (things you unconsciously tell yourself to be aware of). Car physics weren't spot on and the AI didn't truly have five senses to control themselves, so it just comes off as one of those things that sounds much more applicable or tangible than it really is.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #59
Pro

OVR: 4

The lighting and shadows looked awesome!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 42

Thank you Steve!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #61
Rookie

Goose26's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Meet Joe Mauer, Your MLB 10 The Show Cover Athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
That behind-the-pitcher camera is sexy!

If it was a female I would have TOS-violating fantasies about it.

EDIT: Oh, and just a note to Russell or someone (and I know the stadiums are locked), but before I saw a screenshot that made me believe the RCF wall says 328 feet instead of what I believe is supposed to say 367 feet. This video confirms that it says 328 still, so if Target Field could be unlocked for just a brief second to change that, we'd be rockin'!

Agreed. Granted, I'll be plenty excited to not have to play the Twins franchise at the 'Dome ever again, but fixing this would make it perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 24

I do auto field/auto throw. So, the broadcast cam will work just fine for me. Yeah, I stink at fielding,lol.....
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #63
MLB Lead Animator

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2222
Did anyone else think Mauer's right wrist shouldn't bend that way on the warm up swings? It looked kind of painful
Cut, is that you???

The video you are seeing is obviously not the data he captured on Tuesday...you will have to wait for release to see his personal anims in the game.

But yes, we are aware of the "broken wrist" issues with many of our older batting animations. I won't go into all the technical reasons for it, but it is something we are looking forward to correcting in the future.

Chris
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #64
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

LOL...how in the hell did Nascar make it into the Show forums? And why are we trying to determine the true meaning behind Mauer's comment about pitchers playing the Show on PSP and facing the lineup?

Anyways, back to the game.....

Video looks great. Broadcast cam looks sexy and I'm hoping its available on the demo, because I'd love to have some time messing with it to see how I do with manual fielding(can't use auto-fielding)

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »