Home

NBA 2K10 Patch #2 Available For 360 & PS3, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA 2K10 Patch #2 Available For 360 & PS3, Post Impressions Here within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #465
Support Sim

BroMontana82's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: NBA 2K10 Patch #2 Available For 360 & PS3, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think they could've and likely should've focused more on ironing out any gameplay issues w/the game pre-release. But when I look at the game as a whole, and the huge amount of new content added, I think those that complain don't take those things into account. NBA Today and My Player are huge first year additions. NBA Today was mostly flawless. Based on what I read My Player had a lot of nagging issues but it didn't seem anything that made it completely unplayable. There were a lot of online performance issues. But I think fans also need to take into account just how much content/gameplay options in the game are online-enabled.

Not trying to excuse them for any issues, just saying I'm not sure that things are as bad as some fans make things out to be. Many of us would've been happy if they only did the one patch and nothing else. At the same time, there are people that were trying to make the argument it would be flat-out negligence if they didn't put out a second patch; that the game was unplayable to them. After patch 1 lol. I saw a thread on one board where a person cursed 2K up one side and down the other, all because of his perceived issues with My Player. Then criticized how long the patch 1 list was, saying there was no way a patch should be that extensive. Despite the fact that most of patch 1 I'd consider tweaks, not fixes to things that flat out didn't work.

I think fans have to be more practical in their expectations and try not to be overly dramatic when they encounter an issue ("The game is unplayable because of [this issue]!" "I can't believe so-and-so's 3pt rating is 4pts higher than I think it should be!". I know this big men 3pt issue, the blank ticker, etc. are legit issues but need to be weighed against the game as a whole. A 3rd patch might fix these issues, but there's always the possibility those fixes would affect something else. Then we're talking a patch 4. I think patch 2 has worthy improvements, but it always presented the possibility of upsetting people that were already satisfied versus satisfying those that weren't after patch 1. But even without patch 2, I'm sure when 2K11 rolls around there would've been many people wanting to label 2K10 as "a buggy mess". I just don't see the need for such over-dramatic claims
completely agreed about all of the features and realistic expectations, especially with 1 year dev. cycles. i pretty much accept that a game won't be 100% out of the box but instead of adding feature after feature, 2k needs to get their act together and make them work first and fix persistent problems. i don't play online, haven't even tried this year except for the one time and the servers were down, but i mean come on...how can the online play, bugs, and reliability be this bad for this long after this many patches? in this, i feel it for the online players. other examples are things like framerate and FT lag...it's been years and many patches that "fixed" this. frustration, while not game ending, builds up for sure.

let me pull some of what i said in the 3pt glitch thread here as it's relevant. people find this and other things to be big problems since it seems to be in all aspects of the game including game changing situations. i can get over this and implement a "fix" as i explained in that thread but these things can mess with people and players who invest a lot of time into tweaking the game (sliders and rosters) for themselves and everyone else on here to create the best and most realistic experience. this happens year after year and it's frustrating that the same things aren't fixed. when they are actually acknowledged and proclaimed to be fixed they aren't so then the issues that pop up in the next patch make people even angrier.

i would say people sometimes overstate some things but this sometimes also takes away from legit gripes and users who voice their opinions in a constructive way. this place is largely a sim community that likes sports games to be as realistic as possible so you'll get different reactions here than say the 2k forum. bottom line to me is a buggy mess? no. consistently frustrating product to many? absolutely. shouldn't be the end of the world though. there are plenty of other good games out there and things to do completely unrelated to video games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #466
MVP

J-Clutch1's Arena

OVR: 0

Despite the new problems formed with the second patch, is it still worth getting this game? Note: Yes, I will be downloading the second patch and I mostly play offline.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #467
Against The Crowd!

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

So let me get this straight, If I decline the patch it will sign me out of XBOX live meaning that I can never use the NBA TODAY feature again? Is there any way around this.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #468
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

I have messed around with the sliders a good deal and honestly I still don't get what people see in this patch (not saying you're wrong, I just don't see it). I honestly feel like it made the game worse. Player control seems less tight than before and my guy will just randomly run in the wrong direction for no reason at all, field goal percentages and scoring are way too high (even with adjusted sliders), the CPU seems way more spazzy on offense and even worse on defense. I did set each teams "Runs Plays" slider to 80 and that seemed to help a lot with the spazzy offense, but I am still getting guys like Jarrett Jack (57 shot tendency) shooting 3 times as many shots a game as Andrea Bargnani (75 shot tendency) and this happened for 3 straight games. Also, what's up with the new "I'm gonna go for a steal and leave you a wide open lane" animation? That was happening so much that I had to turn On The Ball steals down to 10 to tone it down. I don't see how 2K thought that enhanced the game in any way shape or form.

The CPU seems to have reverted back to the old "quick pass through traffic to the cutter down low" trick again resulting in way too many points in the paint. Pick and roll defense is even more jacked up; if I go around the pick and stay with my man (to avoid the switch), my other defender covers the same guy as me, leading to the cut down low, quick points issue again. On defense the CPU also gives up way too many open baskets down low and never really seems to adjust or do anything about it. I just don't get why 2K felt the need to jack with the game. It was great after the 2nd patch, my FG percentages were spot on as was my scoring too and I was having some awesome games; I honestly could not put the game down, now I'm almost ready to move on to something else. I simply don't feel any amount of sliders can fix the issues with the game now, and that is sad because I was LOVING it prior to this....

Last edited by Illustrator76; 01-21-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #469
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
Playing against cheesers online is hilarious now... none of their cheap tactics work anymore. They all seem to quit once I get a 10+ point lead on then and I'm holding the Kobe spammers to like 2-17 shooting

Problem is I'm still having trouble getting into ranked matches so I haven't been able to play as much online as I want to.
Cheesing doesn't seem as bad, but is still prevalent. I played someone who only drove baseline all game long. It's hard to stop on a regular basis. I stopped most, but it's hard to eliminate it all together.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #470
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
So let me get this straight, If I decline the patch it will sign me out of XBOX live meaning that I can never use the NBA TODAY feature again? Is there any way around this.

that is correct. i don't think there is a work around. I declined the patch, the game loaded up, went to the menu, clicked on features, clicked on 2k share, and once I clicked on 2k share the download patch box popped up every time I tried to get on 2k share

this is what kills it for me. I only play quick games vs the cpu, and some have said they never saw the 3 pt glitch during that mode, others said they have. so who knows anymore. i'm just going to hold off on the patch for now. well done 2k.

My gut feeling is that there will be a 3rd patch. They can't leave the game like this, although the the patch has done a lot of good. With live actually improving (slightly) instead of getting worse every year, 2k should be thinking about 11 and knowing some new glitches b/c of the patch may possibly turn some customers away for 2k 11.

Last edited by GaryT531; 01-21-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #471
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
I have messed around with the sliders a good deal and honestly I still don't get what people see in this patch (not saying you're wrong, I just don't see it). I honestly feel like it made the game worse. Player control seems less tight than before and my guy will just randomly run in the wrong direction for no reason at all, field goal percentages and scoring are way too high (even with adjusted sliders), the CPU seems way more spazzy on offense and even worse on defense. I did set each teams "Runs Plays" slider to 80 and that seemed to help a lot with the spazzy offense, but I am still getting guys like Jarrett Jack (57 shot tendency) shooting 3 times as many shots a game as Andrea Bargnani (75 shot tendency) and this happened for 3 straight games. Also, what's up with the new "I'm gonna go for a steal and leave you a wide open lane" animation? That was happening so much that I had to turn On The Ball steals down to 10 to keep this happening so much. I don't see how 2K thought that enhanced the game in any way shape or form.

The CPU seems to have reverted back to the old "quick pass through traffic to the cutter down low" trick again resulting in way too many points in the paint. Pick and roll defense is even more jacked up; if I go around the pick and stay with my man (to avoid the switch), my other defender covers the same guy as me, leading to the cut down low, quick points issue again. On defense the CPU also gives up way too many open baskets down low and never really seems to adjust or do anything about it. I just don't get why 2K felt the need to jack with the game. It was great after the 2nd patch, my FG percentages were spot on as was my scoring too and I was having some awesome games; I honestly could not put the game down, now I'm almost ready to move on to something else. I simply don't feel any amount of sliders can fix the issues with the game now, and that is sad because I was LOVING it prior to this....
Horray, thank you man, I knew I was not the only person seeing this, they have completely killed the realism of the CPU, it is definitley back to 2k9 status, and I am damn near getting rid of the game now, I spent all that time praising how the CPU played and 2k just killed it, the CPU rushes into everything, I dont see what these other posters are talking about, this patch made the CPU play worse, matter of fact, it killed every single thing that made the CPU play realistic, no more midrange jumpers, no more pick and rolls, no more jumpers out the triple threat, nothing, only thing they did was make bigs do more down low in the post.

I am soooooooooo fustraited at this, when the rest of the OSers notice this, 2k will have a sever backlash because the way the CPU played was probally the biggest plus about the game, without that, this game has shot down to average, smh, better than the comp still, but no longer a great game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #472
Against The Crowd!

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT531
that is correct. i don't think there is a work around. I declined the patch, the game loaded up, went to the menu, clicked on features, clicked on 2k share, and once I clicked on 2k share the download patch box popped up every time I tried to get on 2k share

this is what kills it for me. I only play quick games vs the cpu, and some have said they never saw the 3 pt glitch during that mode, others said they have. so who knows anymore. i'm just going to hold off on the patch for now. well done 2k.

My gut feeling is that there will be a 3rd patch. They can't leave the game like this, although the the patch has done a lot of good. With live actually improving (slightly) instead of getting worse every year, 2k should be thinking about 11 and knowing some new glitches b/c of the patch may possibly turn some customers away for 2k 11.

I think you can still play quick games without downloading the patch, my HUGE issue is being able to play NBA Today games and you must be logged into XBOX live to do so. I'm a huge 2k fan but this is awful. I like the game post patch # 1 and the majority seem to be saying this patch is screwy. I guess I'll just wait and hope like you said that a third patch comes out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »