Home

MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Impressions @ CES w/ Russell_SCEA within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #321
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: @ CES w/ Russell. Hands ON Impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Video #1, Jayson Werth's at bat (first batter).
oh yeah..watched it again.

Its tough to say that this is caused by grass non-friction though. Too many factors to determine the exact cause as to why the ball went to the wall and the runner stopped at first.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #322
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
oh yeah..watched it again.

Its tough to say that this is caused by grass non-friction though. Too many factors to determine the exact cause as to why the ball went to the wall and the runner stopped at first.
Not to say he couldn't have made it to second, but something was striking me too much as something similar to MLB 2K5 - 2K8 (I don't know about 2K9).

Oh, and there was the video with Shane Victorino where he hits that ball foul... it takes a hop, then hits the wall, then flies nearly 100 feet to about the left field warning track. It's a legitimate concern of mine which I hope you understand.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #323
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Not to say he couldn't have made it to second, but something was striking me too much as something similar to MLB 2K5 - 2K8 (I don't know about 2K9).

Oh, and there was the video with Shane Victorino where he hits that ball foul... it takes a hop, then hits the wall, then flies nearly 100 feet to about the left field warning track. it's a legitimate concern of mine which I hope you understand.
if the Victorino one is what I'm remembering, I've seen something similar to that happen countless times while watching baseball games. The ball is hit on a frozen rope down the line, turns into the wall, and richchets off and into the outfield.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #324
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Video #1, Jayson Werth's at bat (first batter).
I think in this case it has to do with the speed or velocity of the ball coming off the bat and its relationship with runner and fielder speed. Last year it was off balance and this video shows something similar unfortunately. It seems like there isn't enough variation in the speed of the ball when coming off the bat. I wish there were more bloopers and odd ball type hits than the typical laser beam, frozen rope type hits we saw in the video.

In the Werth video, the OF obviously misplayed it, and the ball reached the wall. However, considering Werth's speed and the misplay in the field, I was a little shocked it only resulted in a single
Old 01-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #325
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
I think in this case it has to do with the speed or velocity of the ball coming off the bat and its relationship with runner and fielder speed. Last year it was off balance and this video shows something similar unfortunately. It seems like there isn't enough variation in the speed of the ball when coming off the bat. I wish there were more bloopers and odd ball type hits than the typical laser beam, frozen rope type hits we saw in the video.

In the Werth video, the OF obviously misplayed it, and the ball reached the wall. However, considering Werth's speed and the misplay in the field, I was a little shocked it only resulted in a single
Wasn't Werth user-controlled?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #326
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Wasn't Werth user-controlled?
Well yes, but when you watch the video, the OF had the ball off the wall when Werth just reached first base. If he attempted to run to 2B, I'm sure he would have been thrown out. Thats what my point was with the velocity of the ball off the bat and its relationship with fielder and runner speed.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #327
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
if the Victorino one is what I'm remembering, I've seen something similar to that happen countless times while watching baseball games. The ball is hit on a frozen rope down the line, turns into the wall, and richchets off and into the outfield.
Same, but this one flew lol.

I could be over-exaggerating, but I just hope it doesn't break other things, like balls being thrown in and speeding up, etc.

Remember, each hop the ball has on the ground kills its speed. If there are less hops, it loses less speed. Sliders should fix most of these things (because there weren't throwing speed sliders in 2K), but if there is still tweaking to be done, I hope they take it into consideration and find a way to optimize here.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #328
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
ino where he hits that ball foul... it takes a hop, then hits the wall, then flies nearly 100 feet to about the left field warning track. It's a legitimate concern of mine which I hope you understand.
Totally understand that concern, and it struck me as a bit odd ad first too. But then I got more level headed, and know how attentive to detail these devs are, and sure something like that is being play-tested and tweaked as we speak.

Remember, way early build of the game that doesn't even include animations yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »