Home

ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time

This is a discussion on ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #25
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
First of all, that article was a jumbled mess. The title doesn't even make sense, and it contradicts the subject matter.
Hah, I noticed that too.

Quote:
Are any of you old enough to remember 2004? Just curious b/c I don't understand how you can argue that NFL 2k5 was the greatest sports video game ever, when it wasn't even clearly the best football game in 2004. I don't care what measurable you use--go look at chat boards, meta scores, reviews, # of units sold, whatever, Madden and 2k were neck and neck, yet nobody ever throws Madden 2005 in these "greatest game ever" discussions.
Believe me, I remember this vividly. I was really into sports video games at this time and I recall all the hype heading into the release of these games. I got my NFL 2k5 game first... and after trying to find sliders that made the game fun/realistic, I gave up, sold it, and went to Madden 2005 and played it for most of that year. But I went out and rebought the game later and still own it and still play it. It's streaky... I'll pick it up and play it religiously, then put it down and forget about it for a few months. Repeat. I don't do that with Madden 2005. I have Madden 10 now and really enjoy it but also recognize its flaws. Now that I can appreciate the game instead of analyze it as I did at its release, I have the same feeling towards NFL 2k5.

What really blows me away every time I pick up NFL 2k5 is how beautiful it is and the sheer amount of stuff in it. For an XBOX title! I also really love and appreciate that 2k Sports (at the time ESPN Video Games) used the full power of the XBOX and its hard drive. It's a beautiful looking game, far and away better looking then any of the other titles on that generation of consoles. The gameplay has its "Huh?" moments, but like I said, I have the same feeling for this year's Madden.

Quote:
People made excuses for 2k5 left and right because it was only $19.99 and because they hated the arrogance of the "evil empire" (EA). And I find it extremely coinicidental that games people always talk about as "best ever" were ones that were no longer made after that year. Actually, no, it makes perfect sense because the only time people on this site truly evaluate something for what it is (instead of complaining about how it should've been better) is when they KNOW they won't be getting anything better next year. Hence, 2k5, MVP 2005, and especially CH2008 reguarly make it into these discussions.
Heh, this is definitely true. I think if the MLB The Show series ceased to exist from here on out, MLB 09: The Show would be held in the same type of regard as NFL 2k5, MVP 05, an CH2008. Heck, I think that game is so mastered that I don't plan on buying a game in the series again until 2 or 3 years from now. But don't get me wrong despite using the word "mastered", the game has it's problems too. Everything else, though, it does so perfectly right.

Quote:
I like 2k5, and I do think that in retropspect, it offered the best "building block" for what a next-gen football game could look like. But 2k5 as a product in its time was markedly inferior to Madden 2005 in many ways, including the franchise mode, player progression, framerate, and (even some would argue) overall visual quality. 2k is a martyr on these boards, but outside of the NBA2k series, what have they done on the 7th gen consoles to suggest that they would've done anything different but put out a new version of 2k5 every year with new rosters and a new feature here or there?
It definitely did have its flaws and I know some of them were the reason I went to Madden for that year, but like I said before, I still play NFL 2k5 but I do not still play Madden 05 or whatever else besides this year's game. I wish they would've had the opportunity to make more games so we could see the progression as I think they were making significant leaps every year they came out with a new game in that series, but it's not to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #26
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
First of all, that article was a jumbled mess. The title doesn't even make sense, and it contradicts the subject matter.

Are any of you old enough to remember 2004? Just curious b/c I don't understand how you can argue that NFL 2k5 was the greatest sports video game ever, when it wasn't even clearly the best football game in 2004. I don't care what measurable you use--go look at chat boards, meta scores, reviews, # of units sold, whatever, Madden and 2k were neck and neck, yet nobody ever throws Madden 2005 in these "greatest game ever" discussions.

People made excuses for 2k5 left and right because it was only $19.99 and because they hated the arrogance of the "evil empire" (EA). And I find it extremely coinicidental that games people always talk about as "best ever" were ones that were no longer made after that year. Actually, no, it makes perfect sense because the only time people on this site truly evaluate something for what it is (instead of complaining about how it should've been better) is when they KNOW they won't be getting anything better next year. Hence, 2k5, MVP 2005, and especially CH2008 reguarly make it into these discussions.

I like 2k5, and I do think that in retropspect, it offered the best "building block" for what a next-gen football game could look like. But 2k5 as a product in its time was markedly inferior to Madden 2005 in many ways, including the franchise mode, player progression, framerate, and (even some would argue) overall visual quality. 2k is a martyr on these boards, but outside of the NBA2k series, what have they done on the 7th gen consoles to suggest that they would've done anything different but put out a new version of 2k5 every year with new rosters and a new feature here or there?
You bring up some very very good thought provoking points.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #27
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'll just discuss football games. I personally think 2K5 was very over-rated and had TONS of issues. Some of which could never be cured for me (like AWFUL cpu QB AI). I think 2K4 was the best 2K football game they put out.

Here is my evolution of football gaming:
1) Tecmo Bowl. First truly fun and great football game
2) Tecmo Super Bowl. All teams and stat tracking. Played a ton.
3) Gameday '97. First fun game on PS1 but nowhere near the fun factor of other games on this list. First polygon football game so deserves a mention.
4) Madden '98. First EA polygon game and the first Madden game I ever enjoyed. No longer played like on a hockey rink. Loved it.
5) Madden '03. This was the last Madden I truly enjoyed.
6) NFL 2K4. Presentation and line play totally new to me and outstanding.
7) NCAA 06. Just an absolute blast to play. Arcade like for sure but really fun. Favourite game on the PS2 (beats out 2K4 by a hair).
8) Still waiting to be blown away on next gen. I usually quit a football game by Christmas. Maybe next year.
Great list RudyJuly. I still have my NCAA 06.
There was one year of College Gamebreaker on PS1 that I really liked because it was so much fun. I think it was way back when Weurfel was on Florida. I think it was the 2nd gamebreaker. Of course it doesn't compare to later college football games, but I loved it at the time.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #28
Rookie

slick1ru2's Arena

OVR: 4
I just picked up 2k5 again for a buck at Gamestop. I had at least a dollar's worth of fun the first hour out of the box. I did not delve too far into in game adjustments. Much simpler play book but as EA Sports research showed, the best players only use up to 13 plays. The only thing I struggled on was passing. Much harder then Madden to get a pass completed or not picked off. On the other hand, I put up 400 yards on the ground with Alstott. So not very balanced there. But the presentation, 6 years down the road, blows Madden away. Half time, sports center, weekly shows with stills, video clips, FA and trade updates as well as injury updates. OMG, I miss all that! I found some roster updates online, haven't figured out how to get them in the game, but then again, being a Bucs fan, not sure I want to lol. My only fear is it will screw with my Madden game, the different controls. Is 2k4 more balanced with passing? I am going to pick both 2k4 and 2k8 up since I can get both together for under 20 bucks.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 11

Let's put it this way; I stopped playing sports video games and video games in general, back in 1998.

2K5 came out, word of mouth got back to me from friends still playing video games, went over played a game at their house. The rest is history.

Now I'm a sports video game junkie-- Football, baseball, basketball-- spending way too much money on new sports titles every year, hoping these new games will give me that 2k5 experience again.

NCAA 06, College Hoops 2k7, and now NBA2K10 have come very close, but don't have the whole 2k5 package.

To sum it up, Not only is 2k5 the best sports game of the century, it's the most revolutionary sports game of the century BAR NONE.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
I personally would have went back to playing 2K3 because it didnt have any major (or even minor) glitches like 2K5 had out of the box.
Your post made me order 2K3. I'm tired of feeling like I have to mess around in Finn's editor to get what I want. I want a football game that is sim, for the most part, with as few glitches as possible. I'm anxiously awaiting 2K3's arrival.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt23134
Your post made me order 2K3. I'm tired of feeling like I have to mess around in Finn's editor to get what I want. I want a football game that is sim, for the most part, with as few glitches as possible. I'm anxiously awaiting 2K3's arrival.

I hated the playcalling system 2k3 had. Still a good game though, I think you'll enjoy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I hated the playcalling system 2k3 had. Still a good game though, I think you'll enjoy it.
It arrived yesterday and I've played 3 or 4 exhibition games with it. The play calling is a tad wonky, but I really like it so far.

I just made a really lengthy post about it here, if you care to read it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »