Home

NCAA Basketball 2010 Review

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 2010 Review within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #89
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: NCAA Basketball 2010 Review

I think a "6" is very fair...this game is a nice addition to any college basketball addict's gaming library, who must play a video game that represents the sport. but it's not a well done game at all. i played for the first time last night and the flaws were obvious. there is nothing unfair about the review, and i found myself agreeing with the insights and didn't see anything in the review that i found disagreeable.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #90
Pro

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

This is the first EA basketball game I've bought since NBA Live when the xbox 360 was first released. I rented others since but always disliked them. I didn't play NCAA '09. I became a 2k basketball person and, like many of you, love CHOOPS 2k8. I even have 2 copies, one unopened in case something goes wrong with the first.

Now that I got that out of the way, I have to honestly say I am enjoying the gameplay and atmosphere of this game. It really gets you in the game. The game really does capture the essence of college basketball even better than the other game from a couple years ago. I'm just talking on the court here. I haven't been in dynasty mode yet. I figure it would be hard to beat CHOOPS dynasty mode. One thing you guys will notice is how authentic plays look. I think the review score should be higher.

One thing that can be improved like the reviewer said is post play. Having said that I'm satisfied with what the post play offers so far. Another thing is more varied animations but that's not a big deal. I would be more concerned if this was the pro version of basketball but I've learned to live with generic styles and animations in college sports titles (maybe that just admits a lowering of standards).

Another negative is the commentary. Although they have 2 broadcast crews, the commentary for both is repetitive. Given that then maybe it really is a saving grace they have two announcing crews.

If you are fan of college basketball you owe it to yourself to at least rent this game. In my opinion playing the game is highly addictive. I've been playing on All Conference level with 20-minute halves and score for my games are in the range of 50s to 80s. I just love that. The stats for just about all categories are also more realistic than what was offered in that older game from a couple years ago. I don't know if I'll end up doing a dynasty or just use it for play now games. Because of this, I keep thinking to myself that I don't see the need to play CHOOPS 2K8 now that I have this game.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Old 11-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #91
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
At 60.00 a pop you can bet your sweet a$$ I'll base a lot on the demo...
For me at least gone are the days of blindly buying a game because 1: its the only game in town or 2:Hype

Heck I don't even weight a lot into people I used to trust to give a user review as more and more some people are less and less critical due to the stale state the genres have gotten. After so much garbage (NOT saying this game is garbage..just making a point) year after year it seems a lot of people forget what a great game can actually be.....and focus more on if it's a better turd than last year.

Last edited by Skyboxer; 11-21-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #92
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
Quote: But my biggest gripe with the gameplay deals with animation variety and execution. Every guard seems to have the same dribble animations, all big men have the same post animations and shot animations are extremely generic. Many transitional animations also appear to be missing, leading to some extremely awkward and robotic looking dribble moves, post shots, passes and loose-ball opportunities.

That's enough for me to cancel my order.

I got really frustrated with LIVE for these reasons...

Thanks for the review + thanks to all the fellas who posted impressions and vids. I'm going to pass on this one this season.
That's just basketball man. There really isn't a lot of variety in dribble moves and post moves. Yes, everyone has a hint of different styles and ways of doing things, but there are no 3-handed dribble tricks or post moves in basketball. Very few players in the world can imitate Pistol Pete's ridiculous moves, and I really don't think you would want Eastern Michigan's point guard trying to. The lack of variety is even more true in the college game than in the pros. The foundation of NCAA BBall 10 lies in running the offense and relying on your teammates whereas in the NBA, there is more isolation and one-on-one. All I'm saying is to not cancel your order over "animation variety" because I think you will be very happy when you see how good the off-ball movement is in this game and the new motion offense feature.

Last edited by Jason2112; 11-21-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #93
Redskins big 3

Vechi8's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
At 60.00 a pop you can bet your sweet a$$ I'll base a lot on the demo...
For me at least gone are the days of blindly buying a game because 1: its the only game in town or 2:Hype

Heck I don't even weight a lot into people I used to trust to give a user review as more and more some people are less and less critical due to the stale state the genres have gotten. After so much garbage (NOT saying this game is garbage..just making a point) year after year it seems a lot of people forget what a great game can actually be.....and focus more on if it's a better turd than last year.
I know what you are saying but.. you can not give an assesment to any game via a demo.
In regards to your 2 points, this is not the only game in town. 2k8 still sells new and is the model for progression within the ncaa series. Hype? This game was the most under marketed game that EA has ever published.

Don't discredit what some real smart guys have to say. Because for every positive in this game, you will read fixes that need to be done
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #94
Rookie

OVR: 3
everybody refers back to 2k8,while it was a great cbb game that was 08,alot has changed since then i too hope 2ksports gets back in the cbb game but until such a day comes we all have to play the cards we are dealt. i plan on purchasing the game 2 day.GO CATS.....
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #95
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vechi8
I know what you are saying but.. you can not give an assesment to any game via a demo.
In regards to your 2 points, this is not the only game in town. 2k8 still sells new and is the model for progression within the ncaa series. Hype? This game was the most under marketed game that EA has ever published.

Don't discredit what some real smart guys have to say. Because for every positive in this game, you will read fixes that need to be done
I certainly can give an assesment from a demo because I choose to. Remember I'm talking about ME and my requirements. If the demo is sub par thats a chance the developer makes when releasing it. I know all the bells and whistles aren't there so I solely go off off gameplay. Again I'm not going to make a dent in their $ flow but this is how I choose to do it.
I still own 2K8 so yeah I know there is another game but my point was a lot of players don't have the want or desire to keep playing a 2-3(and growing) year old game and they start settling for the best of the worse new games.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #96
Redskins big 3

Vechi8's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I certainly can give an assesment from a demo because I choose to. Remember I'm talking about ME and my requirements. If the demo is sub par thats a chance the developer makes when releasing it. I know all the bells and whistles aren't there so I solely go off off gameplay. Again I'm not going to make a dent in their $ flow but this is how I choose to do it.
I still own 2K8 so yeah I know there is another game but my point was a lot of players don't have the want or desire to keep playing a 2-3(and growing) year old game and they start settling for the best of the worse new games.
Fair enough.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »