Home

NBA Live 10 Patch Impressions (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Patch Impressions (360, PS3) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #817
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: NBA Live 10 Patch Impressions (360 out, PS3 JUST RELEASED)

What I hate about this patch:

1. They seem to have dumbed down the defense for all the guys complaining about not being able to play D before the patch. Now it has the stupid suction from last which makes it difficult to cheat to one side like I used to because it's constantly suctioning me back to the middle.
a. They made it so dumb that the AI actually makes your human controlled player jump/contest shots on his own (that's while you're manually controlling him). This may have been there pre-patch but not to this extent I've had Harrington of the Knicks do the up & under behind the back board and the defender I am controlling jumps (on his own) for the up part, more than twice in one game.
b. Because of this easy D feature I am constantly get suctioned out of position between taps on the LS, so now I went from a defensive stopper to a scrub, LOL
c. The offensive player drives the lane I position my defender to block the shot then stand still but I get suctioned to the ball handler for a defensive foul 9 times out of 10. By end of game I feel like I need to run out of the paint by every time and offensive player comes down the lane just so I don't pick up the foul.

2. Something funky is going on with the controls
a. There is a lag so much so that some times when I press icon pass the ball handler does a little spin move before he passes the ball.
b. When trying to hit cutters the lag often waits until the cutter is no longer open before passing.
c. This may be a bug but occasionally when I hit icon pass the ball handler will shoot the ball without me even touching any of the face buttons

3. Lay-ups are low percentage shots now,even ones when the defender is behind the shooter or clearly out of position. Basically if it's not a clear path to the basket lay-up it ain't going in. I shoot a higher % from 3 point.

4. The auto protect the ball animation beyond the paint is irritating
a. When going around picks if the defender presses up on me I end up with the stupid protect the ball anim. and have to back away then come back to the pick.
b. In the tripple threat or just out in space the defender has more control of me than I do. He presses up I go into back down removing my ability to freestyle. I often get offensive "hooking fouls" when this happens.

5. Passing is ridiculous, I almost need Peyton Manning to run point. I am not talking about cross court passes or feeding the post, I am talking my guard goes to the baseline and tries to hit the 4 or 5 who's one the block, and 5 feet away. The ball does some weird thing where it goes way up in the air then out of bounds on me.

6. It's always been the case that the CPU has a different set of rules from the user but with the new aggressive offense from the CPU it really stands out. I swear Chris Duhon in Live is better than KOBE JORDAN whoever he is! All the whirling drives to the basket are just too much.

There's more but this is enough for now. The masses have spoken, I think, they prefer this style of play apparently to what I feel overall was a more sim style of play. I don't know of a player good enough to dribble down the lane with a crowd of defenders on both sides and still not lose the ball, at least not until the patch introduced me an entire NBA full of them. I do like the back down button and it's good to have more than a flicker of a moment to move the ball after offensive rebounds but the rest of the stuff seem TO ME to be too much!

I am still winning games but the fun cat and mouse exchange on-ball D used to offer is gone. Now I am at the mercy of the offense. I don't use slider adjustments because I often play human opponents who complain I've adjusted the sliders to favor my style of play. In order to be accustomed to the way the game plays on default sliders when I play other human's I just play all star default all the time. The game is on the edge of being unplayable for me. I've played for 10 solid hours today trying to figure out what has changed, and that's when I noticed the suctioning.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #818
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i would have to agree but i am not sure if its the patch or the roster updates but the defense is definately worse than what we had on day 1..

i remember getting picked on the perimeter when using average dribblers forcing me to use alot of screens and the pg more but something has changed i can run drive and kick to death with any player....

if you are not into editing or sliders i can see how for many this would be real disappointing, try superstar is your only hope at this point

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #819
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
What I hate about this patch:

1. They seem to have dumbed down the defense for all the guys complaining about not being able to play D before the patch. Now it has the stupid suction from last which makes it difficult to cheat to one side like I used to because it's constantly suctioning me back to the middle.

b. Because of this easy D feature I am constantly get suctioned out of position between taps on the LS, so now I went from a defensive stopper to a scrub, LOL
c. The offensive player drives the lane I position my defender to block the shot then stand still but I get suctioned to the ball handler for a defensive foul 9 times out of 10. By end of game I feel like I need to run out of the paint by every time and offensive player comes down the lane just so I don't pick up the foul.

3. Lay-ups are low percentage shots now,even ones when the defender is behind the shooter or clearly out of position. Basically if it's not a clear path to the basket lay-up it ain't going in. I shoot a higher % from 3 point.

This was driving me mad for the 1st handful of games. I was getting positively torched and wondering what the hell they did to my user control D.

I'd say it took me 3-4 games, before I got the hang of it again.

I can now anticipate the beginning of the CPU "Lebron Dive" and cut it off. It results in a "no call", most of the time now.

I agree..this change wasnt needed, and Im still of the opinion that it was a bail out.

As far as the layups, you need to begin the move earlier to avoid clanking them and not getting to the stripe, when you get smacked.

also, pay attention to the player's DNA and what direction he likes to drive to, to finish. you can trigger all kinds of strong, finishing animations when you do this.

Thank goodness we are getting a 2nd patch at some poitn, to clean up what the 1st one jacked up
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #820
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I think these issues have A LOT to do with the DNA/roster updates and not the patch, it's the only explanation for such erratic behavior since the DNA is the only constantly changing variable. The first post-patch game I played this afternoon was amazing. I got home from work tonight, DL'd the latest update, played another game and it was horrible.

I lost 116-73 with the Heat, I had 24 points at halftime. I think I shot about 10% in the paint, David Lee missed all four of his dunk attempts (none were blocked, he just missed them) and shot 3-15 from the field, Al Harrington went 1-12, mostly all on open mid-range jumpers. Nate Robinson shot 4-19, as a team I shot 28%. Getting into the lane and drawing fouls all of a sudden felt like it was pre-patch again - it was perfect this afternoon and now it's a mess again. There was a blatant CPU advantage that was absolutely no where to be found when I played the game this afternoon. Both games were on default All-Star.

Really concerning, these updates seem to do more harm than good. I'm sure I'll wind up playing NCAA '10 the most this winter, it should be Live's gameplay with a decent dynasty and no DNA to mess things up constantly.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #821
Banned

OVR: 7

I dont get how people think the players feel tighter in control. The patch for me made the game feel laggy like I was playing online and everythign feels less responsive. Theres times I go to shoot or pass and theres a second or two delay which never happend b4 the patch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #822
Rookie

OVR: 9

Post patch on the ps3 the games plays much worse especially online! The game just plays less sim-like. When playing against the hawks al hortford was able to crossover and dribble all in the lane with no repercussions! Defense has gotten worse especially to open up to the 3point shooting! and lastly, the missed dunks and blocked dunks are ridiculous! I have yet to see lebron miss a dunk or have one blocked. The game should have stayed the same! Live 2009 defense should be implemented.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #823
Rookie

OVR: 3

what can i say?
welll...... the patch is terrible.

man, AI seems so dumb, etc passing the ball out of bounds, shooting 40ft 3's in the first 10 seconds of the shotclock. Also, big men that cant dribble or shoot; are doing just that!! eg. greg oden.
the only positive for me is the lighiting on players but overall the game is worse with the patch IMO.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #824
MVP

bateman11's Arena

OVR: 14

Just played my first game post patch. Very impressed. The flow of the game felt great, the CPU played smarter and seemed more aggressive and life-like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »