Home

4th and Inches (Part Two)

This is a discussion on 4th and Inches (Part Two) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
JEM
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: 4th and Inches (Part Two)

The only way to fix Madden is to give it to another developer.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: 4th and Inches (Part Two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
The only way to fix Madden is to give it to another developer.
BOOM! Droppin' bommmmbs!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 30
You raise some great points, again, and you can add that no huddles need to be able to be run even after incompletions and consistently after ref deliberations.
I'm not so sure about the forward progress thing but it does happen. I've had my guy knocked back a few yards after, say, catching a ball right past the first down marker then I try to scramble forward to regain that first down yet fall short and the computer will give me the original spot.

I think the overall thing is based on some odd inconsistencies not only in Madden but in Live, as well, is that they use the same, basic engine from years past for almost, if not all their sports games. U can tell in how the different sports games move and animate.

I think it ultimately may come down to EA needing a whole new sports game engine that is more flexible and can encompass more without having to add by subtraction.

I still love Madden 10, though. Lol. I can overlook many of it's flaws cuz it's just a fun game to me, overall.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 3
I agree, keep lettin your voice be heard for those of us who KNOW ea CULD make a better game with emphasis put in areas where realism is truly needed.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 10
> This game is 1st and goal and that list is from 2006.

I believe I can confirm backbreaker's observation here. I am nearly 100% positive this is simply a cut and paste, with a few touch ups, from a 2006 loong, LONG article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5
this was a really good post. i wish all criticism of the game was this articulate.

not to exclude the fact that all the above listed points would really help the game as well.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 16
I'm enjoying madden 10 but there are so many things that can be done better which is really holding the game back in my opinion.

Rocket Catch - EA really needs to improve control for DBs and Wrs as far as attacking the ball in the air. There needs to be more battling for position once the ball is in the air. You should be able to use your body to shield defenders and have better jump ball and fade interactions.

Press Coverage - agree 100% there is a risk reward to playing this style but on 10 its all reward. This really highlights that ratings really don't matter when you have a 70 Cb press a elite Wr. The Wr is at the Cbs mercy because they don't have any swim moves, chops, or jab steps so they just get pressed. Release rtgs and press rtgs should factor into this so teams with weak Cbs can't just press at will for fear of getting beat. Also because they can press for so long Wrs are not able to get seperation when they finally get upfield.

Pass D vs. Run Coverage - This is directly related to poor blocking logic magical defenders, and poor collision detection when engaged in blocking. OL have no idea what they are doing on 10, speedy Cbs from nickel and dime coverages win out over slower lineman because there is no true logic behind blocking, and the lineman don't really get into defenders where they control them or turn them one way or another so defenders can come off of blocks and make tackles.

Excessive dropbacks - this may never get fixed especially with suction blocking on DEs. You know how many good DEs I saw control the line of scrimmage this week in the NFL. Good DEs are a huge part of the defensive end of football, they disrupt offenses and make you scheme around those type of players but on madden good DEs and DTs are pedestrian at best.

No Huddle - Fatigue is great but its ridiculous to a point when 5 plays of no huddle force my Wrs to play Cb after the 1st dead ball.

Challenges - fix it give it more options have some logic to it besides yes or no.

Collision Detection - won't be fixed until they overhaul the madden engine..matter of fact a lot of this issues could be fixed with a next gen system for madden.

Screens - I enjoy the screen game I find that man cov and cov 2 shut down wr screens quite well. Screening to backs is a little more tricky but on the way to the QB especially against speedy backs I check what they are doing and manually attack the screen once I see it developing. This actually feels realistic to me and is how real football is played. If you wanna go balls to the wall after the QB you will get beat on screens.

Forward progress - will never be fixed till they overhaul madden engine. Players are still on skates and animations take over and make players run out of control. Spins, jukes, and breaking out of tackles lack any logic whatsoever so more times then not one the animation and skates take over your at their mercy. We've all lost games because of this.

Def Matchups - Just the fact that we have it is a plus. I use the Eagles and it helps tremendously to have Asante shadowing all the elite Wrs. This should be improved to include Qbs and better options for shutting down some of the elite backs.

I think a huge edition to madden if they fixed the blocking logic and suction blocking would be offenses able to highlight defenders sort of like we can highlight Wrs and Rbs. It happens in the NFL and it happens on madden at least with good OLBers like Ware, Harrison, and Porter they blow up every play and are in the backfield constantly. If you spotlight these players it should somewhat reduce their effectiveness.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 9
Madden is alway's going to be what is is..point, Blank Period. When another Game Console is released is probably our best bet of getting a more realistic football game. Not saying Madden 10 is horrible, but it's so many damn flaws in this game it just doesn't make any sense to me. How can an successful Franchise ( Madden ) after 20 something yrs of developements, can seem to get the minor things rite, Can't run the damn football to safe my life. i just hope a new development team arrivs in th next 2 yrs, i'm pretty much done with madden, and the real reason why we all buy this damn game is because it's the only damn football game out. 2K PLEASE COME BACK AND SAVE US ALL FROM THE BS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »