Home

Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

This is a discussion on Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #129
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

The only way to complete a deep ball in this game is to have your guy outrun the defender by enough steps that the defender can't do the superhuman "swat + tackle" animation on you and break up the play.

If you try to throw a jump ball, the CPU just uses its superhuman abilities to turn around and run to the exact spot on the field where they can jump up in the air and intercept the ball at its highest point.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #130
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Madden's defense is completely unrealistic in the passing game. It's had instant turn of direction for their DBs forever, and the warping is has historically been horrible (can't speak for 10 yet). They still haven't fixed the instant direction change in Madden 10 this year, they just changed the animation. DBs still run full speed one direction and now do a little circle loop (instead of just siwtching direction) and are going full speed again. It's completely unrealistic. I think Madden's momentum, speed, attribute system is so messed up they won't ever be able to make it truly sim/authentic with the current engine.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #131
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
The only way to complete a deep ball in this game is to have your guy outrun the defender by enough steps that the defender can't do the superhuman "swat + tackle" animation on you and break up the play.

If you try to throw a jump ball, the CPU just uses its superhuman abilities to turn around and run to the exact spot on the field where they can jump up in the air and intercept the ball at its highest point.
If you manually catch it, does that help at all? Or does the swat always negate the manual catch? I hardly ever throw streaks, unless in a hail mary / losing scenario where I'm forced to do it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #132
Banned

OVR: 12
The biggest "tell" in the passing game is that in Madden when you let a ball go, you really have no idea of the outcome, covered players catch it, open players don't, (cause a defender will morph through you). In APF soon as you let the ball go you can tell your odds of a catch by how open he was or how well you got the ball, out, or even how talented the receiver is, imagine that.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #133
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

There must be a trick or something to the manual catching 'cause I'm horrible at it in Madden.

Everytime I press the catch button, my guy just does the stupid "over the shoulder catch" animation.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #134
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
There must be a trick or something to the manual catching 'cause I'm horrible at it in Madden.

Everytime I press the catch button, my guy just does the stupid "over the shoulder catch" animation.
Well... I know there's 2 ways to catch it. You can press and hold Y for the safe catch (maybe what you are doing) and you can tap Y to go for the spectacular, or more aggressive catch.

I've spent some time in the lab, and I have yet to see zone defenses really worked by a deep 25+ yard throw.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #135
MVP

OVR: 34

Manual catching helps with the downfield throws.

Minh does this, and he is usually able to pull down 1 a game..if he can get into position.

I understand why they did it: They wanted to negate the rocket catch, strafe catch exploit of the past, but ended up actually punishing people who do not force the ball, by making one on one throws, a roll of the dice.

Casey and I played a game last night, with a total of 6 interceptions. Only 2, were a result of a stupid throw.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 09-17-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »