Home

NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #1025
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Is there any way the user can shoot around alone in the hangar? Or at least make it so that the other players don't shoot around on their own?

Dwyane and I are getting tired of LeBron and Dwight taking our ball.

Hey, DEVS...

Is there anyway you guys patch the game to have the players in the hangar understand the concept of "change" on made shots?
LOL...that was funny
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #1026
DW3
MVP

DW3's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejs210
I'm not sure if this has been touched on, but I liked seeing Brand Jordan players not only wearing Jordans, but also wearing Jordan gear in the hangar. I doubt the devs will respond, but I'm wondering how closely the EA crew worked with Brand Jordan to get the shoe designs and gear looking as good as they do.

Dwade and Melo both have on Jordan Brand gear
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #1027
Rookie

BBallGuru's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejs210
I'm not sure if this has been touched on, but I liked seeing Brand Jordan players not only wearing Jordans, but also wearing Jordan gear in the hangar. I doubt the devs will respond, but I'm wondering how closely the EA crew worked with Brand Jordan to get the shoe designs and gear looking as good as they do.
Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul & Dwyane Wade are all wearing Brand Jordan outfits in "The Hanger".
Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #1028
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Man, could you imagine running a pick up game w\ these guys in the hanger?
Im running w\ the guys on the left lol
Old 09-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #1029
Banned

OVR: 26

I think the guys on the left are All NBA first team, and the guys on the right are all NBA second team.

But I swear Paul was on the first team. I dunno.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #1030
Rookie

OVR: 8

My impressions. I wanted to wait for a few reasons. First, I'm all 2K'ed out, so I knew it'd be a shock to me control-wise. I kept pressing the RS for shots in the lane, and kept driving into traffic turning it over, and just generally doing 2K stuff. I just wanted to judge it on its own merits, plus wait till the hype died down, and just have a real feel for it before posting impressions, as I see many have done. It's a testament to 2K's consistency though, that I was so ingrained with their control scheme.

(Inspired by Da_Czar who I feel truly speaks for the sim seekers out there, most of which have either played this game IRL at several different levels, are bball fanatics watching 50-100 games/yr, and objective gamers who have no company/corporate allegiances, but just want a game that plays like the real thing. Guys like Teebone, Rocboys, DCAllAmerican, Pbz, Stumbleweed and others I see on here, props for being objective and helping these guys improve their game immensely.)

Disclaimer of sorts: I didn't buy 09. I've owned every 2K, buying both in 00, 03, 05 and 08. I played the s*** out of 2K9 until about Jan, it just became unplayable to me due to the lack of real help position D, and the CPU PIP problem. I admit it's a matter of preference as to what is a game-killer, but for me lack of positional D and PIP issues were for me. Luckily Fallout & Gears were around to make up for the lack of an NBA fix for me this year.
I only play on Superstar also.

First, I have to point out some issues with the demo, even if they may be addressed in the retail:

-Even with CPU Fakeout Discipline maxed, players go for WAY TOO MANY pump fakes. Kinda pulls you out of the experience to have Kobe and Ron Ron jumping at every third fake, allowing you to drive around them.

-The steals need to be toned down quite a bit. I think a better solution as others have stated, is to force the dribbler to pick it up, or bobble it. Personally, I've gotten the hang of it and rarely lose the ball anymore, and actually I kinda like it. But there will be 2K9'ers out there who simply will never accept that they can't dribble all reckless thru the paint.

-There NEEDS TO BE A POST UP BUTTON. Regardless if it's Y or RS Click, or RB, it needs to be there. To dedicate a button (Y) to alley-oops I think is just wrong. Why can't oops be RS Click-in, or tap RB???? Kudos though for not making oops abusable as was my concern when learning it had its own button.

Now, on to the good:

I f***ing LOVE THIS GAME!!! The Hangar:

-Everyone's shots are beautiful. From Roy's buttery smooth flick, to Melo's quick fade-ish jumper, to Kobe's precision line-drive Jordan-esque delivery, you get the feeling these really are professional athletes with impeccable muscle memory. They really flick their wrists forward/downward, and for the first time in a videogame I truly feel like I am launching the shot, as opposed to simply letting go of the button at the right moment. Kinda hard to express but it's just great.

-I am playing right now, and am able to replicate the different fades, runners and stepbacks, even the eurosteps over and over again. Every player feels different. Bron isn't lightning quick, but feels stronger and more forceful than CP3, who can stop on a dime, changing direction, stepping back and pulling up with quickness. When Kobe pump fakes, it's SO DECEPTIVE because he basically does everything but elevate. I've spent way more time shooting in the Hangar than doing layups and dunks, because it feels THAT good and varied with everyone.

5-on-5 Gameplay:

-Point blank, this is the best implementation of momentum and weight I've ever seen. Oftentimes I don't even have to use any freestyle moves, but simply get the defender to bite or commit one way, and can use his own momentum to attack him. I LOVE how when out on the open court using turbo, your player will push the ball forward. It's contextual to how much space you have, and kicks in at the perfect time, allowing speedy players to blow up the court on breaks. Beautiful.
It's great how when doubling, the defenders appear to be really thinking about who to leave and how much to commit. They might still play the angles so you don't get the open look on the first pass, but rather only after swinging it around. And don't try to just swing it to a shooter at a bad angle, because it will get swiped every time.
I love how you can press and hold B to bring the double all the way over, or can just hold it for a second or two to "show" the double to take an angle away from Kobe/VC. I love just showing the double repeatedly every time Kobe is setting up (you kinda have to, because Kobe is ********ly Kobe-like in this game lol)

-It's great how Kobe is unstoppable--but in the same way he is in real life. Just for reference, when me and brother play each other in 2K9, he uses LA and I can pretty much sag off Kobe due to two reasons: Kobe's J animation was so slow I could contest it even while giving him 5,6 feet, and 2) Kobe dominated by acrobatic layups thru multiple defenders due to lack of collisions inside, and hard-to-defend animations under the rim, so I always was giving him room. In Live 10, my bro is basically here salivating on himself because he can't fathom how realistic it is that Kobe dominates thru his midrange game LIKE REAL LIFE. He keeps using fades, stepbacks, and leaners on me, using my own momentum, and jab steps, to get room to just pop up and J me. He's killing me, yet I'm enjoying it. Ridiculous I know, but it's beautiful. Then when I crowd him, he drives around me into the lane, kicking out to Fisher (who is deadly OMG in this game) or Ron Ron who loves that 45 degree angle 3.
When I'm on O, I'm giving him fits with Rashard because Pau can't stay with him, but has to respect the straightaway 3. So he is forced to take out Bynum and put Pau at the 5 and Odom at the 4 to counter it. Just like real life, Bynum sits when the matchups aren't right.

This is the first NBA videgame that is really like a chess match. Man, when Kobe gets it foul line extended, I feel that real fear like real life, like "man I gotta get help or he's getting the shot he wants, but don't wanna leave Farmar or Odom!!"

-Can't really explain this, but in this game you are rewarded for being patient and taking shots in rhythm. For example, if I come down with Jameer, immediately pass to Rashard and shoot a three 5 seconds into the shot clock, he'll most likely miss even if he has a good look. However, if I come down, throw it in to Dwight, get doubled, kick out, call a play, have Rashard wander around a screen and get a look for 3 in the same spot with the same amount of space, he will nail that s*** like a carpenter (lol).

-Mismatches are represented well here. It's good that when Rashard is caught on Kobe, he's at your mercy. But what's also great is, oftentimes I'd have VC and Fisher gets switched onto me. Lotta times I'll just size him up, jab, step back and pop it. Height diff really matters. Against Kobe or Ron Ron, 9 of 10 times if I pull in their face it's a brick. But with Fish on VC, no respect at all just pull that s*** and it's good. Nice.

-The flow of the game is perfect, even tho I throw the speed down 5-7 clicks. Only sliders I touch is moving the short range shooting down 5 clicks, and the OFF rebounds up about 10 clicks.

TIDBITS-

Czar, your impressions were exactly right, much respect man. I see some complaints about defense, but I'm having a blast defending (or trying to defend) Kobe and Vince. The BIG KEY here is to shade, NEVER CROWD, and when he attacks, fall back at an angle to cut it off. At first, I was simply trying to use Defense Assist and when Kobe would attack right, I would move directly into his intended path, resulting in me standing in his dust. Then I finally learned, like "Dave, what did coach always say? Beat the man to his destination, you will always be reacting, so react properly" So for ex, if Kobe on the left wing 3pt line, and attacks toward the middle of the lane, I would nudge the LS UP and slightly back, and if he went to his left, I'd nudge it straight to the left, slightly up. He still beats me when I'm sleeping or too close, but often I get him to give it up or shoot contested.
Like czar said, this game ain't perfect, no game is. But for me personally, I'm having the best time playing a bball game since maybe the first time seeing 2K7 and all the new sig stuff. What a great year for bball gamers. Hopefully 2K brings it as well and I will be in heaven!!!

PLAY BASKETBALL, NOT VIDEOGAME BASKETBALL!!! PEACE !!!
(sorry for the lengthy post, I don't post often but when I do I try to go in-depth! lol)

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Old 09-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #1031
DW3
MVP

DW3's Arena

OVR: 23

after playing the demo for 4 hours straight, i can honestly say, for me this game is like crack! Lol! i cannot believe how intuitive the direct switch(LT + Icon & release LT) control is. OMG! it opens the whole game up for me. I was running Kobe off of screens to get him open looks, moving Rashard around the perimeter etc.. Thanks to Pared, i finally realize how to Icon pass.(LT+ Tap icon). At first i was considering getting 2 NBA
games..now this will be all i need! It was like i had an epiphany.

The defensive game is so much better than my first impressions. I held the magic to 4 points in the 1rst quarter 2/10 shooting. They had 8 points in the second quarter all free throws. This was on all star. This is the first NBA game i have played where help defense matters. i kept forcing Vince to the help side, while making sure i had a hand in Rashards face. Dwight was in foul trouble.

Im not trying to hype people up. these are just my impressions. some people hate the demo, i happen to love it. Thanks EA devs once again for the great game you guys developed this year!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #1032
Rookie

BBallGuru's Arena

OVR: 4

As I've begun to play in the post more, I have a problem, and I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing this-- when the CPU comes over with the weak side defender and knocks the ball out of my hands and out of bounds, the possession goes back to them, but there's no effort from any of my players to even touch the ball. Does this happen to anybody else, or could somebody post up and let the help defender knock it away from them to see if it happens?

I'd just like to see whether it's a bug, or if I'm just not seeing something happen.

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »